Barbados and Grenada...

uneamie

Oh gee...those poor poor people. All those beautiful tropical beach houses gone forever. :( All that historical architecture ruined!:( I could not think of anything worse (other than losing a loved one) then losing my home.

My home is my life. It's right up there with my family in importance. It's not the material part of it...it's the memories related to the home. A home is created after the structure is built by years of family experiences and living in it. If you survived a storm like this your lucky, that is true...but I think life is never the same when you lose your family home. I know, I watched my brother and his family lose their mountain top California home in the San Francisco earthquake. It was many years before they got over it. Their home was a treasure to them...that no insurance could replace.

In light of all the distruction from this hurricane...we are going to be traveling to these islands on the 11 day Dawn cruise in January. At first I thought to myself, "what's the point?" Then I thought about the people and their economy. Perhaps we, the tourist, can play a part in helping that. Now I look forward to going. :D

Considering the extensive damage and security problems, it is unlikely Grenada will be available to cruise ships for some time. We are scheduled to go there on our Nov. 28 Dawn cruise. I expect NCL will be seeking an alternative port, perhaps St. Lucia. Barbados did not have as much damage and should be available on the Dawn itinerary.

We are also cruising in Jan. to these places. I, too, feel so bad for the people. But, I agree, maybe our tourism dollars will help. I really don't care, the cruiseline will take us wherever it deems fit, but do feel for them. :(

It's slightly possible some repair may have occurred, and the stops can be made. I'm not holding out a lot of hope. Just praying for the unfortunate.

Considering the extensive damage and security problems, it is unlikely Grenada will be available to cruise ships for some time. We are scheduled to go there on our Nov. 28 Dawn cruise. I expect NCL will be seeking an alternative port, perhaps St. Lucia. Barbados did not have as much damage and should be available on the Dawn itinerary.
You may be right there Dolphins...:(

Always wanted to go to St Lucia so I guess that would be a good choice if they decide to do that. Please let us know if they replace Grenada with something else, and what it will be.

I know St Thomas was hit several years ago and they were up and running mighty quick for tourist. :rolleyes:

While the devestation was huge on Grenada...they may just surprise us at how quick they get back to normal. Let's hope they get the support they need to do that. ;)

I would bet that Graneda will not be ready for tourist for a long, long, time. Yes, St Thomas was ready in a relatively short time, but it's a totally different type of island. My daughter lived there until the year before the major Hurricane, many of she and her husbands friends lost businesses and even though the island got back on it's feet relatively fast it still was months before things were normal and they were not hit nearly as hard as Grenada. My guess is anyone planning to go to Grenada in the next 6 months will probably end up in St. Lucia. Just a guess from this old lady. NMNita

Archived