Port Time vs. Ship time - Roatan Delays Due to Engine

nasvhillecruise

I just got a form letter from NCL stating that our cruise on March 3 was still being affected by the bad engine & we wouldn't get to Roatan until 3 p.m. Is that ship time or port time or are both the same? I'm trying to see if we can still do the ziplines with Victor but my guess is we cannot. That was the tour we were looking forward to the most, so I'm hoping somehow it can be salvaged.

Also, didn't some people post that they would receive an OBC of $50 pp? My letter didn't state that, so I'm thinking maybe it was just for the people cruising in the next few weeks or something.

Debbie

I had not thought about island time!!! Unfortunately, I don't know the answer but if Island time is later than ship time (lets say it's 3 ship time, 4 island time) when we dock, we will get about an hour of sunlight after debarkation, I hope it's not the case. If we are lucky and the island time is earlier than ship time (let's say 3 ship time, 2 island time) then we got just about enough daylight time to do a quick excursion or simply explore the island a little.

Someone knows this?

I'm thinking about that, but my son (5 y.o.) can't do the ship's excursion & I'm having problems finding a tour that will take him. But where there's a will, there's a way!!!!!!!!!

Just a thought. Maybe you have trouble finding an excursion that will take him because it may be a too challenging ziplining course for a kid his age? You know your kid and I don't but I just wanted to point this out, it case you had not thought about this.

Just a thought. Maybe you have trouble finding an excursion that will take him because it may be a too challenging ziplining course for a kid his age? You know your kid and I don't but I just wanted to point this out, it case you had not thought about this.

I had thought about that, which is ultimately why I'm so disappointed. The one in Roatan we were going on seemed to be safe for kiddos his age. I've read several postings of children as young as 4 & folks as old as 96 going on the particular zipline we chose. I guess the ones in Belize are a bit more challenging than that. My son is a 100% daredevil. My neighbor has decided he is going to be a stuntman when he grows up cuz he's fearless & dramatic. It makes for some exciting moments, I can promise you that :eek:

Got the same letter. Now that they don't anticipate the engine fixed for this cruise season, rather than giving everyone an onboard credit, instead, they have opted to let you cancel your cruise without penalty by January 18th if you can't live with the change.

I've booked the 5 hour Tabanya Beach Party and Snorkel, which I assume will be cut short. I think I'll leave things as they are until I hear how NCL and passengers are dealing with the tours.

I just got a response back from Victor Bodden saying that we would still have time to do the zipline & see his monkeys. Every post I've read about him makes him sound extremely reputable & a great person, so I'm assuming he'll be able to do what he says. So everything seems to be back on track. Plus, DH is happy cuz he'll get to sleep in a little that day!!!

Victor is a nice guy - I have met him. The zip line is a lot of fun. When we went there was a waiting list but somehow they pulled some strings and got us ahead of a large group from the ship!

If the monkeys are the ones at the iguana farm, they are just in some small cages, not much to see really, but the iguanas are amazing!

Actually, Victor has monkeys, an anteater, & other animals at his house. On another post, someone attached GREAT pics of themselves playing with & holding the monkeys. I think I'm looking forward to that almost as much as the zipline!!! Hopefully he'll be able to pull some strings for us as well, since we're getting there so late. If the zipline park (Jungle Canopy) closes at 5, we'll be pushing it to get done!

Debbie

What ship are you on? We are sailing on March 8 and I'm hoping that our ship is fine.

Sorry but they say all sailings until March 23rd will be affected by the itinerary change. I called NCL and they will give 50$ credit pp (max 100$ per stateroom), you should call them or your TA to make sure you also get a credit.

Actually, Victor has monkeys, an anteater, & other animals at his house. On another post, someone attached GREAT pics of themselves playing with & holding the monkeys. I think I'm looking forward to that almost as much as the zipline!!! Hopefully he'll be able to pull some strings for us as well, since we're getting there so late. If the zipline park (Jungle Canopy) closes at 5, we'll be pushing it to get done!

Debbie

Probably wasn't me, 'cause I don't know that I posted pictures, but just as a point of note: I wouldn't let the monkey climb me, if I had to do it again - monkey pee is not a nice thing.:eek: (Tried to upload a picture of me holding monkey, but apparently DH's picture files are too big.:mad:)

Anyway, we had Juan Carlos (available through Victor, or also on his own - http://www.islandertours.com/ ), and he was GREAT! I did the ziplining (DH didn't fit the harness, so Juan Carlos took him to on a short ride and to get water, and then met me at the end, so Gary could see me at the end), and we went to the iguana farm, snorkling & lunch (watch out for the margaritas - the tequila is REALLY strong), and on a basic drive around the island, including seeing the monkeys, of course. We skipped the cameo factory - heard it wasn't really good, and had a blast. If Victor &/or Juan Carlos says you have time, even with a shortened itinerary, I'd go for it!

friend of Eeyore,

Thanks for the advice on the monkeys. At least we'll be going at the END of the tour, so I won't have to worry about monkey accidents on me for the rest of the day :D. It's good to hear another plug about Victor. I've yet to hear anything bad about him.

I just got a form letter from NCL stating that our cruise on March 3 was still being affected by the bad engine & we wouldn't get to Roatan until 3 p.m. Is that ship time or port time or are both the same? I'm trying to see if we can still do the ziplines with Victor but my guess is we cannot. That was the tour we were looking forward to the most, so I'm hoping somehow it can be salvaged.

Debbie

If ship time is the same as New Orleans, those cruises from March 9 on will be arriving at 2 p.m. Roatan time. New Orleans goes on daylight savings time on that Sunday but Roatan does not. Hopefully for those of us cruising after March 9, that is the case and it isn't 3 p.m. Roatan time.

Ship time on every Cruise is always matched to the time zone of the port it is entering. Just got back from the Spirit and all the stops were on NOLA time - Central Time Zone.

For our Cruise over Christmas, they dropped the Guatamala stop scheduled for Wednesday, moved Roatan to Wednesday with times in port from 8:00am to 8:00pm. Tuesday which was to be Roatan was an extra Sea Day, being Christmas Day it was nice to just relax on board - to us anyway.

I have just posted a Review on the CC Website if you would like more info.

Have a great trip.

Dennis

Ship time on every Cruise is always matched to the time zone of the port it is entering. Just got back from the Spirit and all the stops were on NOLA time - Central Time Zone.

Dennis

We've been in several ports where the local time was different from ships time. Usually its well publicized in the dailies, port talks, and gangway.

Its a very common practice.

For our Cruise over Christmas, they dropped the Guatamala stop scheduled for Wednesday, moved Roatan to Wednesday with times in port from 8:00am to 8:00pm. Tuesday which was to be Roatan was an extra Sea Day, being Christmas Day it was nice to just relax on board - to us anyway.

I have just posted a Review on the CC Website if you would like more info.

Have a great trip.

Dennis

If that is the case, then why will it take an extra hour to get to Roatan for those cruises leaving March 9 or after? If the ship leaves on Sunday at 5:30 p.m. New Orleans time (Central Time Zone, DST) then assuming the ship is traveling at the same speed as the previous cruises, then it it should arrive at 3:00 p.m. (Central Time Zone, DST) which would be 2:00 p.m. in Roatan.

Looking forward to reading your review, btw.

Someone said that Roatan doesn't have Daylight Savings time, so they are still in the same time zone, just different times. I'm not sure if that's so, just repeating what I've read elsewhere today. I know there are several places in the US (in OH maybe?) that don't follow Daylight Savings, so they are at a different time even if they're in the same time zone.

When we were in Belize - we had a 5yr old with us. We brought a lifejacket for her and left it with our Tour operator. We went with a private operator - Lionel was his name - we went further up than the Ship excursion and had a hot BBQ meal after the morning - it was fantastic - we still all talk about it 3 yrs later. There were 15 of us total and 3 guides - they were all great! Have a good cruise!

Sue

Archived