Would you bring your own snorkel gear for kids?

01Sweetpea

We are taking our first cruise in June 05 on the Valor. DH & I love to snorkel, but our kids 12,9,9 have never snorkeled. We are going to take the kids to the local pool before out trip so they can learn how to before we go. I was thinking of buying the kids their own gear (just face gear) to practice in, and then to bring on the trip so they have a mask that fits them properly.

Has anyone else done this, and is it a big hassle?

Thanks!

We always bring our adult snorkel gear along and probably will get a set for our 4-year-old son this January. The thought of sharing a mask that others spit in to clear the view is rather yucky. I doubt that the sanitary practices of many of the excursion companies is up to most people's standards. I have watched and it seems that they only rinse them off in the water - I could be wrong, but that's what I think I saw.

Also, practicing with your own (which is a great idea) and then having your own that you know fits is helpful.

I suggest bringing along just snorkel mouthpieces for everyone, some sterile wipes and some antibacterial food powder.

Fins, masks and tubes all take up way too much space and may cause problems in your airline's weight allowances, especially with 5 sets.

Use the sterile wipes to clean the provided masks and the foot powder to prevent athletes foot.

We always take our own gear whenever we go -- mask, snorkel, fins. It's the only way to make sure your stuff fits! Nothing ruins a snorkeling excursion faster than having a mask that leaks.

Our son didn't snorkel the last time we went (he had just turned 3yo the week before) but this time he's 4.75yo and has his own snorkel and mask, which we will be bringing. (We don't bother w/ fins for him -- if we're going fast, one of us holds his hand and drags him along, and if we're going slow he is just fine w/o the fins.)

You might also want to look into booking your own snorkel/dive boat too, rather than doing a 'shore excursion' -- you can often find a 3-4 hour tour on a small boat by a local person for $200-ish, depending on the port. The rate per person is usually around the same as if you were on an official excursion tour, but you get SO much more time in the water.... you wouldn't believe how much time gets wasted doing the "snorkel training" and the "equipment hand-out" and the waiting to get off the boat and waiting to get back on the boat and waiting for the one rude person who didn't come back when they tooted the boat horn..... on an excursion that lasts 3 hours, you may only be snorkeling for less than an hour!!!! :mad:

• 3 weeks later...

Try EBAY for the kids' snorkel stuff. I bought my girls (ages 4 and 5) their fins and these incredibly wonderful dry snorkels off of ebay. All the items were brand new and being sold by a dive shop in Florida. I guess they were getting rid of some old stock. I got such a great deal on them. I actually won one of the pairs of fins for one PENNY!!!!! Plus shipping, of course. Then I ordered nice masks and snorkel vests from an on-line place with some good prices. The vests made my kids feel more secure in the water. I know that some cruise lines require people wear the vests on their excursions. We had the girls practice in the tub first, because they were young. Then we took them to the pool to practice. They both ended up loving snorkeling. We have three snorkeling excursions planned for the cruise we are taking in January. I hope you have a wonderful time on your cruise!

• 4 weeks later...

Sweetpea - I'm just adding my 2 cents here. We rented masks, etc. on our first cruise in Oct 99 but brought our own in Dec 2001. We'll be taking our own again in Nov. 2004 because the stuff you rent on the boat or that is provided to you on a tour is pretty beat up. Also, as someone previously said here, having a leaky mask can ruin your two hour tour. My sister (an adult) turns out to have a very small head and her adult rented mask didn't work at all. For this trip, I took the husb and the two 15 yr old girls to the dive shop and got a good set of mask, snorkel and fins for each for about $30 each. Good thing too, since one of the girls (the newbie to cruising) had a very small face and the mask for an adult wouldn't have fit her. Also, we don't bring fins for the same reason Brillohead mentioned. Snorkeling tends to be leisurely anyway and the fins are a bear to pack. Hope you have a great time!

Depends on the excursion. Most of them include gear. The trip we went on in the bahamas, we saw them wash them before our eyes. But, we also packed our own gear for our one day at the beach. Ended up not using it much, so it was a lot to pack for kids who may not want to snorkel for long. But, I found a local used sporting goods store that had some stuff.:)

Our kids bring there own snorkle gear. The next trip we plan not to bring my son's fins because he now fits into an adult size. Hubby uses the fins provided by the excursion because they would take up way too much room. We have not had any problem using/renting adult size fins, it saves on packing our own.

• 2 weeks later...

Deerinh20 - great idea about the jacuzzi. My daughter wants to snorkel with my oldest son and I on excursions during our next trip, but needs some practice (she's only done limited snorkeling from land in the past). I never thought of using our hot tub!

I agree with at least bringing your own mask and snorkel. Take the kids to a local dive shop to have a mask fitted (most are really not that much more expensive for similar quality) to ensure the right fit. a leaky mask WILL ruin yours, and your child's fun.

Regarding the snorkel and sanitation, I always felt more comfortable cleaning my own gear, because I know what makes me feel at ease. Some tour operator's idea of sanitiation might not be the same as yours!

The fins are what really present the weight to the luggage, so you'll have to decide what to do about that. I usually pack all of my gear (along with my two children's that snorkel) in a "carry-on" size roller suitcase. The weight usually comes in around 40# depending on what else we through in. My oldest (11yo) is responsible for that bag when checking in at the airport.

Have fun!

Just a thought... we also practiced snorkling with our boys (8 and 10) in a pool before we went on our cruise. They did great in the pool!!!!! The youngest was pretty shocked with the waves at Trunk Bay and how they came in the snorkle!!!!! Next trip, we are getting the snorkle gear that has the one way valve so you a.) don't get as much water in your mouth and b.) you don't have to blow as much out when you do!!!!!

Just something to keep in mind when you practice. We also didn't have vests for the kids either. Didn't need them in the pool but sure did in the ocean!!!!!

Archived