Getting to Iguazu Falls

Cruiser Cats

I flew from BA to Iguazu and back (coming off the Dream Jan. 6). We took LAN. I had Aerolineas booked originally for just Iguazu but after hearing bad things and frequent four hour delays I decided to do LAN. All I know is LAN was on the dot both ways :-)

• 2 months later...

We travelled to Iguazu Falls in March 2008 before our cruise. We flew Aerolineau - no problem. Right on time both directions. We stayed at the Sheraton, and I agree with the others; this is definitely worth it for easy acccessibility to the falls. The trails are very easy to do on your own; you don't need a guide.

We booked everything through Wow! Argentina. We would not do this again. It is very easy to book on your own. We paid a big price for very little service.

If anyone did the Iguazu trip on their own, could you comment on getting back and forth from airport to hotel? Taxi? Hotel shuttle? How much did it cost you?

If you stayed at the Sheraton, did you eat all of your meals in the hotel or the park? If you did go into the town for a meal, please comment.

It would be helpful to get a feel for how things work before we get there.

We did Iguazu last week and stayed at the Sheraton, which I would highly recommend due to the unlimited access to the park during daylight hours. Once you pay the park entry fee of 40 pesos per person (which must be paid in pesos) your Sheraton room card allows you to leave and re-enter the park at will. There always appeared to be plenty of transport options at the hotel.

We only stayed 2 nights and after very full days only ate at the hotel which does a full Argentinian BBQ buffet for 90 pesos per person as well as a normal menu. Friends who stayed at the Iguazu Grand dined in town and had "best steak ever" for about US$10, there were apparently lots of restaurants available at similar pricing. There are a couple of restaurants in the park however these only operate during park opening times and therefore close at around 6.00pm.

We flew Aerolineas who have a one bag per person allowance with a free limit of 15kgs and then charge US$3 per kg. We were over limit and weren't charged however others on the same flight from BA were charged.

If you have the time, a trip to the Brazilian side is worth the effort as it provides a different perspective of the falls entirely.

• 2 months later...
We're booked on the Princess Star South America/Antarctica cruise deaparting from Buenos Aires in Jan 2009. We will be flying in from Los Angeles (LAX), and would like to do a quick trip to Iguazu Falls. (I still am working, so can't add too much extra time onto our trip.)

If you find a moment after Iguazu Falls (perhaps when you join the ship) can you post your impressions of the hotel, view, etc? We will be hot on your heals: booked at the Sheraton Iguazu 15-17th of Feb 09. We leave the winter snows behind us mid Jan 09 when we head down to Fort Lauderdale to start our around South America cruise on Carnival Splendor.

Jim

When going from Brazil to Argentina (and vice-versa) what do they need/want for documentation at the border crossing. Just passport or do they also want to see your WHO International Certificate of Vaccinations book?

Jim

You will need a yellow fever vaccination certificate as well as (if you are a citizen of the United States) $103 for a Brazilian Visa, which you must buy before you leave the U.S.A., along with with your Passport. The visa for Brazil is good for 10 years. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
You will need a yellow fever vaccination certificate as well as (if you are a citizen of the United States) $103 for a Brazilian Visa, which you must buy before you leave the U.S.A., along with with your Passport. The visa for Brazil is good for 10 years. ;)

Is this a new requirement? I thought Yellow Fever vaccination was only required for travelling in the northern states. I have visited Sao Paulo, Rio, and Iguazu from the Brazil side and didn't get a vaccination. Perhaps I was just living dangerously and didn't even know it...

You will need a yellow fever vaccination certificate as well as (if you are a citizen of the United States) $103 for a Brazilian Visa, which you must buy before you leave the U.S.A., along with with your Passport. The visa for Brazil is good for 10 years.

I have been doing my homework since I posted the question and think I can self answer. One needs a passport (with visa), of course. The visa is needed to get into Brazil but not Argentina.

The Yellow Fever vaccination is only required within the Yellow Fever zone, which does not include any of the coastal ports-of-call for cruise ships. Iguazu Falls is within the Yellow Fever zone but only just and is being exempted if you are flying in directly from a coastal city.

I contacted the Argentine Embassy and they confirmed that the Yellow Fever shot is recommended, but not required, if flying in from a coastal city. They said the International Yellow Fever exemption certificate is required, if one does not have the vaccination, in order to cross the border from Brazil to Argentina at Iguazu Falls. My wife and I are over 60 and the Yellow Fever shot benefits do not outweigh the risks so we have been advised not to get the shot and have been issued the appropriate exemption certificate (a letter from one's doctor is nice but not acceptable to the Argentine authorities). The certificate is a page within the International Vaccination book (yellow book) for US citizens and a separate document for Canadian citizens.

Jim

If you fly from Rio (GIG) to Iguassu, you will land at the airport in Brazil (IGU). If you fly from Jorge Newberry Airport (AEP) in Buenos Aires (the domestic airport) to Iguazu, you will land at the airport in Argentina (IGR). The spellings of the name are different and of course the 3 letter codes are different. It can be confusing when searching for flights. Staying at the Sheraton in the Argentinian park is very convenient. A comparable option on the Brazilian side is the Dos Cataratas (sp?). You need a visa to go to the Brazilian side and that can be expensive if you're not visiting any other part of Brazil. However, seeing both sides is great if you have the time. When I went in November of 2004, I just booked my own flights and hotel room at the Sheraton. I booked a remise car in the baggage claim area at the airport to get to the hotel. I liked the driver who spoke some English so I hired him to drive me over to the Brazilian side on the 2nd day. A guide isn't necessary but could be helpful if you want to identify wildlife or learn more details about the area. Iguazu is truly spectacular and lots of fun. The zodiac boat tours are specifically designed to get you wet so it's best to leave your camera behind when you get on the boat. If you have room in your suitcase, bring some old clothes to wear in the zodiac so that you can discard them if they get too wet and won't dry in the humid climate. Lots of hotels in BA will let you store your main suitcase so that you can travel to Iguazu with only a carryon.

• 2 weeks later...

Iguassu is awesome. The best view is from the Argentina side, but the Brazilian side is also incredible. If you have time, do both. If you are fortunate enough to be there at full moon you can even take a moonlight tour of the falls.

Taxis are cheap, so if you don't stay at the Sheraton you can save a ton of money (you can even take a bus). I stayed at Orquideas which was halfway between the Falls and the town.

While in Argentina I found bank machines to be the easiest way to convert money. When you pay in cash (en efectivo) they always take 10% off the price.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Thank you all for the great information. We are spending two nights at the Sheraton the 13th and 14th of Feb '09 in Iguassu and plan to see the falls from both Argentina and Brazil as we will be catching the Oceania (Insignia) cruise Rio to Valparaiso a few days later.

Does anyone have information about squeezing in a quick trip to Ciudad de L'Est in Paraguay as part of the Iguassu Falls itinerary? Is it feasable or too much of a hassle to go back and forth between the the Argentine side to the Brazilian side of the Falls, then on to cross the river into Paraguay for a look at the famous market; and then returning back to Brazil, then to Argentina to spend our last night at the Sheraton.

Can't find much on this topic and would be curious.

Thanks,

Larinconada

If you are planning to see both the Brazilian and the Argentine sides you will be busy enough.

Crossing at the Falls is extremely easy by taxi. I gave my passport to the driver and he took it into his buddies at the booth on the Brazilian side and I was in under 1 min. I paid the taxi driver $30 US for the day. For lunch he took me to one of those wonderful Brazilian restaurants ($10) which are a meat eaters delight (the Sheraton has something similar but not quite the same). Endless waiters bring chunks of meat to you on a skewer and slice off what you want. They offer various types of beef, chicken, pork, and all are wonderful. The buffet table is pretty blah but the meat is incedible.

Hi! Thank you all for the great information. We are spending two nights at the Sheraton the 13th and 14th of Feb '09 in Iguassu and plan to see the falls from both Argentina and Brazil as we will be catching the Oceania (Insignia) cruise Rio to Valparaiso a few days later.

LOL, looks like "great minds think alike" as we will be arriving at the Sheraton hot on your heals (arriving 15th and departing 17th Feb 09). And, like yourselves, we are flying out to our cruise as well. We are on the Carnival Splendor from Fort Lauderdale, Florida which is going around South America to San Francisco, California. The ship is heading out to sea for two days between Rio de Janeiro and Buenos Aires so we decided a side trip to Iguasu Falls might be in order. I don't know about you folks but we can hardly wait.

Jim

If you are planning to see both the Brazilian and the Argentine sides you will be busy enough.

Crossing at the Falls is extremely easy by taxi. I gave my passport to the driver and he took it into his buddies at the booth on the Brazilian side and I was in under 1 min. I paid the taxi driver $30 US for the day. For lunch he took me to one of those wonderful Brazilian restaurants ($10) which are a meat eaters delight (the Sheraton has something similar but not quite the same). Endless waiters bring chunks of meat to you on a skewer and slice off what you want. They offer various types of beef, chicken, pork, and all are wonderful. The buffet table is pretty blah but the meat is incedible.

I had heard that the Sheraton has a something along the lines of the "meat eaters delight" <g> but it would be much more fun, I am sure, to partake of the real meal deal. Do you remember the name and location of the restaurant so we can encourage our guide to take us there for lunch or dinner.

Jim

I had heard that the Sheraton has a something along the lines of the "meat eaters delight" <g> but it would be much more fun, I am sure, to partake of the real meal deal. Do you remember the name and location of the restaurant so we can encourage our guide to take us there for lunch or dinner.

Jim

Believe me, your guide will know where to take you. This type of restaurant is called a Churrascaria. Once you cross the border just ask the taxi driver to take you to the best one. He will know where it is because they have arrangements with the guides - bring in customer and they get free meal (they go off and sit elsewhere)! You will feel quite overwhelmed by the site of waiters bearing huge spits of delicious meats to slice off at your table. If you can't speak a word of the language just smile in the direction of the water carrying the desired meat choice) When I walked into the place I was quite disappointed by the buffet but filled my plate to the brim. I had no idea that the waiters would bring all this meat to the table. Vegetarians stay away!

Believe me, your guide will know where to take you. This type of restaurant is called a Churrascaria. Once you cross the border just ask the taxi driver to take you to the best one. He will know where it is because they have arrangements with the guides - bring in customer and they get free meal (they go off and sit elsewhere)! You will feel quite overwhelmed by the site of waiters bearing huge spits of delicious meats to slice off at your table. If you can't speak a word of the language just smile in the direction of the water carrying the desired meat choice) When I walked into the place I was quite disappointed by the buffet but filled my plate to the brim. I had no idea that the waiters would bring all this meat to the table. Vegetarians stay away!

Thanks for the extra info: we will most certainly ask our guide to see about lunch or dinner at a Churrascaria. Our planned excursion to Iguazu Falls just gets better and better.

Jim

Thanks for the extra info: we will most certainly ask our guide to see about lunch or dinner at a Churrascaria. Our planned excursion to Iguazu Falls just gets better and better.

Jim

Iguassu is very beautiful. You won't need to find more things to do. Will you be there for a full moon?

http://www.iguassu-misted-falls-vacation.com/iguassu-falls-moonlight-walk.html

http://www.soliguazu.com.ar/ing_turismo_aventura.htm

This is the touring company I used in Iguassu. They picked me up at the airport and at my hotel every day for the 5 days I was there. They arranged everything for me, moonlight walk, day taxi to Brazilian side, Jesuit ruins (as seen in The Missionary,) everything. My travel agent in Buenos Aires arranged a couple of things for me with them and they made more suggestions once I got there. I even did the zip line!

I checked the moon charts and it appears we will miss the full moon: I hear the falls are quite spectacular under the moon.

Five days ... must have been wonderful .... we only have one and a half days and two nights so we are rather limited in what we will have time to do. We are being met at the airport and heading off the the falls before going to the hotel .... every minute counts.

Thanks for the travel agent info.

Jim

Archived