Just back from Legend & Thank you!

star65

Hi, we just today got back from our first cruise on the Legend out of NY. I have learned soooooo much from this board that I just have to say thank you. I didn't feel like a first time cruiser since I learned so much invaluable information from all of you here. I am more than willing to answer anyone's questions about the legend and hopefully help someone else.

Embarkment in NY

It was a breeze, I had read so many bad stories about the crowds etc... We took the boards advice and got there early, around 11:30, waited about a half hour and then went on line to get our sail and sign card, about another half hour later we were on this beautiful ship, so all and all it took 1 1/2 hours but was not congested or a problem.

The ship

WE LOVE THE LEGEND!! and can not say enough about her. As first time cruisers lots of people told us not to try carnival because the service, food etc... were not as good as the other lines, well those people have never been on the legend. We felt absolutely pampered, everyone was very nice, especially our dining room service team, we enjoyed them so much we tipped them quite alot over the amount on our sail and sign. They just made our experience so much more fun. The cruise director Brett Alans and his staff were great, they really know how to have a good time and show you a good time. Although we were sailing after the remnants of Frances had hit the caribbean we only had one rocky day on board, but what was so nice was how great they kept us informed, every day there were several announcements about the weather and we luckily were able to get to all of our ports. Our cabin was 8157 on the panorama deck, right below lido. I had heard we would hear alot of noise from lido in the mornings and evenings, but we didn't hear a peep. It was a great location, midship. We booked an 8a guarantee and got upgraded to a 8I extended balcony. I will always want the extended balcony, it is so much more roomy. At first our room felt small but than we started to feel very cozy in it and we were two adults and two kids, we never felt cramped.

Camp Carnival

Our girls really enjoyed it, they did not participate very much because they wanted to do things with us, but when they did, they really liked it. They went to babysitting at night and loved it. They came home with lots of free souvenirs from camp carnival as well, picture frames, mugs, t shirts, key holders, etc.... I thought that was great. The staff was very competent and made me the most neurotic mom I know, feel comfortable and assured that my girls were safe with them, that was no small feat!

Food

Oh My God, you will eat and eat and eat. We always found things we liked in the dining room and most nights ordered two entrees because we couldn't decide. What amazed me was how the servers remembered every single thing you liked, like lemons for water, extra dressing even what your drink order was and your preference for how you wanted your steak cooked. Without even asking these things just appeared. We have dined in many fine restaurants and this was definately on par. We made reservations for the Golden fleece and cancelled because we were just having too much fun in the dining room, guess we will try it next time. There will definately be a next time for us on the legend, the family we went with already booked her again for the same week next year, same cabin.

Ports

Puerto Rico was awful. Very dirty and there were just so many homeless and visibly sick people lining the streets it was very sad. When I sail the legend again we will either stay on board when it hits Puerto Rico or take a cab to San Juan and hit a beach. On St. Thomas, we really enjoyed ourselves and I really enjoyed the jewelery stores! At the suggestion of the board we took Godfrey tours and he was great, took us shopping and on a tour of the island and to Sapphire Beach which was very nice but rocky. On tortola we just hoped in a cab on the dock and went to cane garden bay, it was wonderful! What a great beach day, so unspoiled and beautiful. The water was crystal clear and warm! The sand felt like powder, they had water sport equipment to rent and chairs to rent also, $5 each. We will definately be back to cane garden bay and tortola, wish our time there was longer.

I think thats it, the Legend is the best vacation we have ever had and we have been to many places, all of you very lucky people who will be boarding her soon enjoy her! Any questions let me know.

thanks for the great review!! we were on this ship for a 2 day cruise to nowhere in '02 and are very much looking forward to going back this october for an 8 nighter!!! :)

one of the things i remember the most was how wonderful the food was on this particular ship-they must have great chefs!! do they still have the wonderful pastries i had at dinner???? yum!!! :)

can't wait!!!

Marsha

Glad you enjoyed the Legend! When we sailed her in April we had 8231. We had two regular chairs and a small table. We tipped the steward to get us a lounge chair. Between that and the other furniture it took up most of the balcony.

Our balcony in 8157 (8I) had three chairs,(one of which reclined) a table and a foot stool and there was still plenty of room. I loved the roominess of the balcony, we ordered breakfast and had it out there most mornings. We also kept our collapsible cooler ont he balcony which our cabin steward filled with ice each morning. This being my first cruise I am so spoiled now, not only will I never cruise without a balcony, I also want it to be an 8I!!

Yes, they still have pastries, and delicious danish in the am, I was hooked on the vanilla cream and my dh liked the cinnamon buns. Desserts are very good and very different lots of stuff we had never had. Never tried baked alaska and now we love it.

You will all love the legend!

Star65,

Wife and I sail the legend on Monday (9/20). Do you remember which nights are formal nights? I would like to make reservations for the supper club when we get on board and I dont want the reservation to conflict with formal nights.

Thanks.

Glad you had a great time. I Can't wait

Wife and I sail the legend on Monday (9/20). Do you remember which nights are formal nights? I would like to make reservations for the supper club when we get on board and I dont want the reservation to conflict with formal nights.

You are definately going to have a ball. Formal nights are the 2nd night of the cruise and the next to last night, if you are leaving on 9/20, it will be Tuesday and Sunday

The Golden Fleece was so special. Our party of 4 brought two bottles of wine to dinner (from home) and we were charged a $20 corkage fee (which was fine). The meals there are presented so much fancier than in the Truffles Dining Room. Our waiter 'Ibraham' could not have been nicer. He kept bringing us special treats "compliments of the chef". The whole meal took 2 1/2 hours. The restaurant wasn't crowded at all. Lots of empty tables. We went at 7:00 on Day 5 which was the day we were suppose to be in Tortola (but we ended up in Cape Canaveral because of the hurricane).

Thank you for taking the time for your detailed review. Sounds like you really had a wonderful cruise and weather was great also. I am looking forward to my Legend Cruise end of this month. I agree, I think the food is very good on Carnival. Have sailed RCL and food was awful. Sailed this past March 2004 on Mariner of Seas and food was horrible.

Hi Star65! I will be on the Legend for our very first cruise on 9/20!!!!! I am getting married on 9/18 and then on our honeymoon pn the 20th! I think a few of us are meeting Tuesday on the Lido Deck. Bill and I will be there!

Email me at Dynaribbon@aol.com and we can chat anytime! \

Jen'Bride to be from EHT (NJ)

thanks for the info Star65...

All looks good for 9/20 sailing... except.... Im concerned about hurricanes in the area...... Another one has popped up today as a tropical storm in Virgin Islands... It's moving away from the area over the next few days, towards the bahamas, however, I have a feeling the seas will be a bit rough for our cruise.

Hold on to your drinks.........

Star, i sail on her in October 6, what time did you arive at the doc on the day your cruise left and what time did you actually board the ship? thanks in advance

Hi, I also sailed with star65 and we arrived at 11:00 am and was on board in less then an hour and a half later. Very fast. You are better getting there early as to avoid long lines. You are going to have a great time!! Wish I were coming.. :(

thanks for the info can you ansewer this two though. would you say if you got there earlier you would have been through the lines quicker or is that the earliest they started letting people on the boat? because the documents say that they dont start boarding untill 2:00pm i think? i just dont want to get there to earlie and also dont want to get there late we only have about a 2hr drive to new york so leaving earlier isn't a problem. thanks again

Slinky: I think the security opens for 11am on most ships. THe later you get there--closer to the 2pm embarkation is when you will find most crowds. Most cruisers do not read these boards and jsut dont know you can go earlier and get on and start your cruise early.

star,

How crowded is the Golden Fleece on formal night? We were thinking of going that night since we figured we would be dressed up that night anyway. Besides, I've had the standard lobster in the dining room on formal night twice now and have been underwhelmed both times. Also, if we went early we could decide whether we wanted to go a second night during our cruise. Think this is a good idea?

Heather

Archived