My Mariner Trip 12/16 - 12/23

Mariner of the Seas 7 Day Western Dec. 16th – 23rd

It started out a bit rocky, but overall we had an absolutely wonderful time – thanks mostly to good health, great weather and all the advice and insight from this board. So thanks to all of you who patiently answered my questions and continue to give great suggestions, etc. I’ll post this report in parts – sorry if it is too long and boring! I just wanted to write everything down for my own record, and thought I would just copy and paste it here. I really enjoyed reading other trip reports before we left – so here it goes!

A little background – we took a 4 night cruise on the Disney Wonder in Nov. 2006 and loved it. I knew I wanted to go again, and for a longer time, but Disney was so expensive. A few people on the Disboards had taken the leap over to RCI, and suggested giving it a try. I was looking into the Freedom, and pricing out Thanksgiving ’08 when someone suggested the Mariner. Bonus – it sails out of Port Canaveral – only an hour away from Disney World. Still trying to find the right date at the right price, and going into sticker shock :( looking at Christmas break, Spring Break, etc., I had just about given up when I see the Mariner going on a 7 day Western Dec. 16th for a song. OK - so the kids will miss 4 ½ days of school, and we’ll be coming home on Christmas eve eve (the 23rd) – but the price is right! (it was $709 per person in a Promenade Cabin). We booked in April, and I have been living on cruise critic ever since!

Cruisers were my DH (44), Me (41), DS (13) and DS (9). The “D” for the hubby and 13 year old son is darling, while the “D” for the 9 year old is difficult, demanding, hmmm I better stop there.

Travel Day – Saturday, Dec. 15th

We left Denver at 6 am, 6 degrees with 6 inches of snow on the ground. We were ready for some Florida sun! I spent much of the last 6 months planning our trip on a shoestring, so we flew Southwest for $198 round trip. Hurray! Their unconventional (lack of) seat assignments put my 9 year old next to a very nice retired police officer. A great way to start. The flight was on time and I was thrilled as I had a surprise for my family. After renting a car, and driving to our Orlando hotel, I presented them with tickets to Disney World! I LOVE Disney and couldn’t imagine being that close and not going. The holiday castle lights were so beautiful, and we had an incredible evening spending from about 6 pm to midnight at the Magic Kingdom. My 13 year old and I closed down Splash Mountain.

castle.jpg

OK- this is not a Disney report! We were up and on our way the next morning a little later than I wanted – stopped at the store for a 12 pack of Diet Pepsi and bottled water. We slapped extra RCI luggage tags on these and gave them to the porter – they showed up in our room with no problems!

I tried not to get too misty eyed when we first saw the Mariner – because it was docked right next to our first love, the Disney Wonder! I was a little sad to think of missing all the magic on the Wonder. We got to mull over that scene for a LONG time as we must have waited 45 minutes in a line of cars trying to drop off luggage and people. This is my biggest complaint of the whole cruise. They do this every Sunday; can they not find a more efficient system? We got there about 11:00 – too late! There were only about 8 - 10 “slots” for cars to pull up and unload. Disney was much better at this. After dropping off the luggage, my husband went to return the car to AVIS and take the shuttle back. This too took a while, but the line to get in the terminal was soooooooo long. After finally getting through that line, and security, our hearts sank when we saw the check in line. Wish we had a fast pass! We did print our set sail pass. My 9 year old is about ready to turn around and go home. After what seemed like eternity with my not so patient youngest one, we have our sea pass cards, and are smiling as we round the corner and SMACK – hit another line! :eek: After waiting about 10 minutes, I realized this line is to take a photo. I had had it and decided to declare mutiny and bust my way through. About a million people take my lead and my husband told me later that the picture people were really mad. Oh well!!

We’re on board! It is just beautiful as everyone says. We take about 2 steps and buy soda cards for the boys (very worth it) and for my hubby so I wouldn’t have to hear him complain about how we didn’t have to pay for sodas on Disney (again, worth it) for a total of $112. We head for the Windjammer where again, my cruise critic voice said “Don’t wait in that first line you see – these people don’t realize the same food is around the corner with no waiting.” We went around and enjoyed lunch. People were stopped at the JADE portion of the buffet with a long line – advice – go around – it’s not cutting in line – there are shorter lines with the same food! I also knew (from here) not to be too dismayed at the crowd as this is the only time where everyone is trying to eat at the same place at the same time.

Off to see our room – we booked two connecting Promenades on Deck 7 – 7257 and 7277. They are great! I LOVE the window – it just extends the room visually so much with the drapes open. We watched the parades and the 70’s dance party from the windows. We heard no extra noise from below, just the music on about 3 nights that ran until about 10:30. All four of us were in Disney’s smallest room on our last cruise, so having two rooms was great. We would not have been on the cruise if not for the affordability of this type of room (no balconies for me – at least until the kids are gone) and I really loved it. The kids had their own beds, their own TV, their own bathroom - did I mention that I loved it? (We asked the room steward to unlock the connecting door - this is an all or nothing option. It is either locked the whole time, or unlocked - only the room steward has the key).

One of my biggest concerns before we left is that we were assigned late dining and the waiting list for early was closed. I went to the dining room and asked the Maitre D to put us on the request list to change. He said that he couldn’t promise anything, but he would try. I know they get a ton of requests, so I wasn’t expecting anything. We explored the ship, enjoyed our late dinner (a table for four), listened to the music in the Promenade and called it a night. We didn't go to the show this night, but would go most the other evenings.

Stay Tune for Day One at Sea. Will Colorado Mom throw her 9 year old son overboard?? :rolleyes: Come back to find out!

Wow...reading it was almost like I was there!!! Oh wait I was there! Great review so far!! Can't wait to read the rest of it!! It was great meeting you!!:D I have a group pic if you would like me to send it.

Yes - I would love to see it! Post it here or on our meet thread! It was great meeting you and the girls!

Can't top your review and humor - but I wanted to get it all down before I forgot! I am so sorry you weren't feeling well on the cruise. That is such a hugh bummer. :( Glad to see you may try another!

Yes - I would love to see it! Post it here or on our meet thread! It was great meeting you and the girls!

Can't top your review and humor - but I wanted to get it all down before I forgot! I am so sorry you weren't feeling well on the cruise. That is such a hugh bummer. :( Glad to see you may try another!

Yeah well it's easy to be funny when you are medicated all the time.:D Yes, we are looking into another. I am looking as we speak. Not sure what we are going to do yet. Looking into a short New Years Eve cruise or Spring Break. I didn't realise you were with such a large group. Where they all at the Meet and Mingle??

Yeah well it's easy to be funny when you are medicated all the time.:D Yes, we are looking into another. I am looking as we speak. Not sure what we are going to do yet. Looking into a short New Years Eve cruise or Spring Break. I didn't realise you were with such a large group. Where they all at the Meet and Mingle??

Just my family of four :D I'll look at your site for the pic - thanks!

Day One at Sea: The 9 year old survives a close brush with death at the hands of his own mother.

When you travel with a group or family with kids, and you are the planner, it is hard not to feel the weight of responsibility for everyone having a great time. Early into the first day, I thought I had made a huge mistake. The 9 year old was whiney and impatient, the 13 year old was being a slug, and my hubby just looked at me like I had all the answers. No one wanted to go to the Meet and Mingle, so I just left them there to stew while I ventured off to meet my fellow CC’ers from our meet and greet thread. I was running a little late, and it didn’t hit me until I rounded the corner that I actually knew no-one, wouldn’t be able to recognize anyone, and I was alone. :o Then I saw this lady with a big boot on her foot, and I knew it must be SalbytheC who injured her foot days before our cruise. I came up and said, “Sally, I am so glad you made it!” She rescued me with a hug and made some introductions. I was looking for a legendary guy in moose slippers when I realized I was sitting behind no other than RonRocks himself! It was wonderful to meet others, the Mariner people gave a few things away, and I would see some of my new friends on excursions later in the week.

Thanks Ron - I figured out how to post - hope it's ok!

CCersontheMariner.jpg

Ron is in the white shirt, top left. The guy holding the moose slippers in front is SACruiser from South Africa. I am in the front row with a light pink shirt and black skirt standing in front of Staci (Ron's better half :) ) Sally is right behind her. Lots more great people - Coast2Coast at the left end in front (hi Nancy), and I think I see Kathy (Weids408 and JazzyMan Harv!) What a great group!

After reluctantly reuniting with my clueless family, I was dangerously close to the rail when my 9 year old starts complaining. My mind ponders, “Would you like to take a closer look at the waves, Ethan?” So tempting! :mad: For all you Moms out there, it is hard to tell which is the more intense emotion at times like these – your heart sinks that your child isn’t having the time of his life, or the blinding anger at your child who isn’t having the time of his life! I refrain from hurling him toward the open sea, and instead decide it is time for him to try the kid’s club! The rest of us then enjoy the Belly Flop Contest in the rain. This really did perk us up as the crew (and contestants) made it so fun as all us onlookers gave a 1-5 score for each flopper!

Upon returning to our room, I found an envelope stating that our dining time had been changed to 6! I was thrilled, but in a dilemma. Tonight is formal night, and I didn’t have the guys bring jackets because I planned on eating in the Windjammer the first night. I didn’t think we would get the time change at all, let alone so quickly. What to do? I really could use a nice dinner about now – and dang it – I want to go! All the millions (ok maybe thousands) of posts about formal wear on Cruise Critic flooded my mind. What would they say? What would they think? Hubby had a nice dress shirt, slacks and tie, but no jacket. I convinced him and my son to go, and told him we would count the number of guys seated without a jacket on the way to the table. We didn’t stop for pictures, so the probability of insulting people before we were seated was greatly reduced. :rolleyes: I counted 10 jacketless men before we found our table. It was a table for 8 (ahh that’s why we got in so quickly) on the third floor at the back overlooking the piano. It was wonderful. The other family didn’t come – the waitress said they had a baby and a 2 year old. My husband looked great, I had a nice dress, and we had a wonderful dinner. I am so glad we went. Apologies to anyone’s dinner we ruined. :D

Things are looking up, and the boys decided to play basketball, ping pong, and putt putt while we go to the show. The theater is beautiful, and I looked forward to that song “Love Today” that started off every show. Tonight was “Front Row” with the singers and dancers. I enjoyed it – thought the lead singers and dancers were very good.

I am still not convinced everyone is going to have the “best vacation ever” as we settle in for the night, but tomorrow is Labadee. I am ready for pushy chair guys, the sun, and hopefully some fun – bring it on!!

This is my first post as I just found this site and I'm very glad I did, it is very informative. Your thread comes at the perfect time since I'm in the process of trying to pick out a ship for my family. Ironically, I also have 2 sons the same ages as yours. In fact, it sounds like our 9 year olds have a lot in common. Does Ethan happen to have red hair? :D I'm looking forward to the rest of your review and hoping it will help me choose between the Mariner and Enchantment.

Day One at Sea: The 9 year old survives a close brush with death at the hands of his own mother.

When you travel with a group or family with kids, and you are the planner, it is hard not to feel the weight of responsibility for everyone having a great time. Early into the first day, I thought I had made a huge mistake. The 9 year old was whiney and impatient, the 13 year old was being a slug, and my hubby just looked at me like I had all the answers. No one wanted to go to the Meet and Mingle, so I just left them there to stew while I ventured off to meet my fellow CC’ers from our meet and greet thread. I was running a little late, and it didn’t hit me until I rounded the corner that I actually knew no-one, wouldn’t be able to recognize anyone, and I was alone. :o Then I saw this lady with a big boot on her foot, and I knew it must be SalbytheC who injured her foot days before our cruise. I came up and said, “Sally, I am so glad you made it!” She rescued me with a hug and made some introductions. I was looking for a legendary guy in moose slippers when I realized I was sitting behind no other than RonRocks himself! It was wonderful to meet others, the Mariner people gave a few things away, and I would see some of my new friends on excursions later in the week.

Thanks Ron - I figured out how to post - hope it's ok!

CCersontheMariner.jpg

Ron is in the white shirt, top left. The guy holding the moose slippers in front is SACruiser from South Africa. I am in the front row with a light pink shirt and black skirt standing in front of Staci (Ron's better half :) ) Sally is right behind her. Lots more great people - Coast2Coast at the left end in front (hi Nancy), and I think I see Kathy (Weids408 and JazzyMan Harv!) What a great group!

After reluctantly reuniting with my clueless family, I was dangerously close to the rail when my 9 year old starts complaining. My mind ponders, “Would you like to take a closer look at the waves, Ethan?” So tempting! :mad: For all you Moms out there, it is hard to tell which is the more intense emotion at times like these – your heart sinks that your child isn’t having the time of his life, or the blinding anger at your child who isn’t having the time of his life! I refrain from hurling him toward the open sea, and instead decide it is time for him to try the kid’s club! The rest of us then enjoy the Belly Flop Contest in the rain. This really did perk us up as the crew (and contestants) made it so fun as all us onlookers gave a 1-5 score for each flopper!

Upon returning to our room, I found an envelope stating that our dining time had been changed to 6! I was thrilled, but in a dilemma. Tonight is formal night, and I didn’t have the guys bring jackets because I planned on eating in the Windjammer the first night. I didn’t think we would get the time change at all, let alone so quickly. What to do? I really could use a nice dinner about now – and dang it – I want to go! All the millions (ok maybe thousands) of posts about formal wear on Cruise Critic flooded my mind. What would they say? What would they think? Hubby had a nice dress shirt, slacks and tie, but no jacket. I convinced him and my son to go, and told him we would count the number of guys seated without a jacket on the way to the table. We didn’t stop for pictures, so the probability of insulting people before we were seated was greatly reduced. I counted 10 jacketless men before we found our table. It was a table for 8 (ahh that’s why we got in so quickly) on the third floor at the back overlooking the piano. It was wonderful. The other family didn’t come – the waitress said they had a baby and a 2 year old. My husband looked great, I had a nice dress, and we had a wonderful dinner. I am so glad we went. Apologies to anyone’s dinner we ruined. :D

Things are looking up, and the boys decided to play basketball, ping pong, and putt putt while we go to the show. The theater is beautiful, and I looked forward to that song “Love Today” that started off every show. Tonight was “Front Row” with the singers and dancers. I enjoyed it – thought the lead singers and dancers were very good.

I am still not convinced everyone is going to have the “best vacation ever” as we settle in for the night, but tomorrow is Labadee. I am ready for pushy chair guys, the sun, and hopefully some fun – bring it on!!

Wow!! You are great at this. Step away from the rail and keep up the good work!! Can't wait to read the rest of it!!! As far as the "better half" comment....where is a rail when you need one. ;)

Day Two – Labadee

We were like moles who hadn’t seen the sun in years as we made our way from our inside room, through the lower decks of the ship and out into the blinding sun on the ship’s tender. WOW – was it bright and hot – 90’s. Everyone was scrambling for their sun block as the tender made its way to the shore. We took a right as we got off and headed for the Sea Trek Water Slide (not to be confused with the water park also in that area). And there he is! The pushy chair guy I had been looking so forward to meeting in person. I just said, “I’m sorry, we are still deciding” and kept walking – no problems! When we found the slide and paid ($20 each) for their bracelets to use the slide all day, we did enlist a chair guy to help set up three chairs in the shade by the water park. We tipped him and everyone was happy.

After all my reading and researching, you would think we would have ventured further out to find our perfect hide-away, but our little spot by the slide worked out great.

IMG_0220.jpg

That's my DH with the football, and 13 year old looking at him.

The boys loved the slide, enjoyed playing catch in the water with my hubby and I was beginning to think we were going to have a great time after all.

Here's my older one on the slide - it went pretty fast!

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

Everyone’s spirits were lifted – and I was so thankful. Thus I will end my whining about my whiney son who did go on to sport a smile most of the week.

IMG_0226.jpg

Who could throw this cute face overboard?

The moles were hungry, so we walked back to the tender landing area where we hopped on the tram and headed toward Dragon’s Breath Point. Food! Again, we went around the first line to find no-one was using the other buffet line and filled our plates with ribs, corn, fresh fruit and cookies. I thought the lunch was great, it hit the spot and we enjoyed more music from the locals. Taking the tram back to our chairs, we went the long way past the market. Interesting, but not appealing to me, so we skipped that adventure. The boys went down the slide some more, and we headed back fairly late in the day for a long tender line. It moved quickly. We had an incredible day, and really felt like we were in the groove of things. Everyone was happy, which made me thrilled and the rest of the cruise was truly awesome from this point on. My only regret is not trying the wave runners here as I think my hubby would have really enjoyed them.

Also, for my Disney friends, I have to say I actually enjoyed my day more here at Labadee than at Castaway Cay. I liked the layout more – how people wander to different areas of the peninsula, so it seems less crowded compared to the long rows of beach chairs at Castaway Cay. I didn’t do excursions at either – so can’t comment on that. There were three different lunch areas also, and lots to explore.

All four of us had dinner in the dining room that evening, and the other family came. They were a lovely young couple from South Korea with a baby and 2 year old. They said they could only come if the 2 year old was napping (as he was in his stroller) as he was too much to handle at the table otherwise. They never made it back which was sad.

Here's my guys on Casual Night with our assistant waiter who was great!

IMG_0299.jpg

At 8 we enjoyed the 70’s music trivia game in the Schooner Bar – we tried to make the trivia as often as possible – it was really fun! They also had a 70’s dance party on the Promenade around 10 that we really enjoyed watching from our window – that place was jammed with happy dancing people! The reincarnated Village People gave quite a performance that the kids loved.

We had hit our stride, things were going as hoped, I had my cheerful family back, they had a less sarcastic Mom – but what will Jamaica be like?

Sure you don't want to return to the Mariner for Spring Break :D You sound like a blast to sail with!

As a fellow Disney addict and a mother of a 3 and 6 year old (who I hope make it to 9 and 13!) I am loving this candid and funny review. I can't wait for day 2. Thank you - I'm looking even more forward to our trip now.

I LOVE your review and can relate to all of it! If you thought it was tough being on the Mariner and seeing the Wonder, try being on the Carnival Sensation and having to see the Wonder across the way! Don't get me wrong, DH and I had a wonderful little getaway on the Sensation, but it definitely wasn't Disney. I'm glad our upcoming cruise on the Freedom sails out of a "Disney-free" port!

Day Two – Labadee

We were like moles who hadn’t seen the sun in years as we made our way from our inside room, through the lower decks of the ship and out into the blinding sun on the ship’s tender. WOW – was it bright and hot – 90’s. Everyone was scrambling for their sun block as the tender made its way to the shore. We took a right as we got off and headed for the Sea Trek Water Slide (not to be confused with the water park also in that area). And there he is! The pushy chair guy I had been looking so forward to meeting in person. I just said, “I’m sorry, we are still deciding” and kept walking – no problems! When we found the slide and paid ($20 each) for their bracelets to use the slide all day, we did enlist a chair guy to help set up three chairs in the shade by the water park. We tipped him and everyone was happy.

After all my reading and researching, you would think we would have ventured further out to find our perfect hide-away, but our little spot by the slide worked out great.

IMG_0220.jpg

That's my DH with the football, and 13 year old looking at him.

The boys loved the slide, enjoyed playing catch in the water with my hubby and I was beginning to think we were going to have a great time after all.

Here's my older one on the slide - it went pretty fast!

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

Everyone’s spirits were lifted – and I was so thankful. Thus I will end my whining about my whiney son who did go on to sport a smile most of the week.

IMG_0226.jpg

Who could throw this cute face overboard?

The moles were hungry, so we walked back to the tender landing area where we hopped on the tram and headed toward Dragon’s Breath Point. Food! Again, we went around the first line to find no-one was using the other buffet line and filled our plates with ribs, corn, fresh fruit and cookies. I thought the lunch was great, it hit the spot and we enjoyed more music from the locals. Taking the tram back to our chairs, we went the long way past the market. Interesting, but not appealing to me, so we skipped that adventure. The boys went down the slide some more, and we headed back fairly late in the day for a long tender line. It moved quickly. We had an incredible day, and really felt like we were in the groove of things. Everyone was happy, which made me thrilled and the rest of the cruise was truly awesome from this point on. My only regret is not trying the wave runners here as I think my hubby would have really enjoyed them.

Also, for my Disney friends, I have to say I actually enjoyed my day more here at Labadee than at Castaway Cay. I liked the layout more – how people wander to different areas of the peninsula, so it seems less crowded compared to the long rows of beach chairs at Castaway Cay. I didn’t do excursions at either – so can’t comment on that. There were three different lunch areas also, and lots to explore.

All four of us had dinner in the dining room that evening, and the other family came. They were a lovely young couple from South Korea with a baby and 2 year old. They said they could only come if the 2 year old was napping (as he was in his stroller) as he was too much to handle at the table otherwise. They never made it back which was sad.

Here's my guys on Casual Night with our assistant waiter who was great!

IMG_0299.jpg

At 8 we enjoyed the 70’s music trivia game in the Schooner Bar – we tried to make the trivia as often as possible – it was really fun! They also had a 70’s dance party on the Promenade around 10 that we really enjoyed watching from our window – that place was jammed with happy dancing people! The reincarnated Village People gave quite a performance that the kids loved.

We had hit our stride, things were going as hoped, I had my cheerful family back, they had a less sarcastic Mom – but what will Jamaica be like?

You say sarcastic likes it's a bad thing??;) We did the same thing..spent all this time researching the perfect beach. Got off the tender, made a sharp left and plopped my big ole butt down in the first vacant piece of sand we came too. Of course we were on the first tender over so we had plenty to pick from. I was soo sick that day I didn't move from the chair until it was time to leave. We kept company with Alan and his girls who also did the water park. You are the best at this review writting. I think you may do this for a living..

Colorado Mom

Can't wait to read more. My DH & I are going on 2nd cruise in February without the DS', again. They have coerced me into taking them on one. We'll all be on the Mariner in October.

As a mom of soon to be 21 and 18 year olds, I can totally relate to you. When I think about how old they will be I'm truely amazed they made it to adulthood (only in age though).

Keep up the great review.

Sure you don't want to return to the Mariner for Spring Break :D You sound like a blast to sail with!

As a fellow Disney addict and a mother of a 3 and 6 year old (who I hope make it to 9 and 13!) I am loving this candid and funny review. I can't wait for day 2. Thank you - I'm looking even more forward to our trip now.

Thanks for the kind words! I would love to cruise Spring Break! You'll have a wonderful time!

Sorry everyone that those pictures came out so BIG - yikes :eek: .

I'll try to make sure they are smaller in the future!

ColoradoMom, I am loving your report. My first cruise (Oct. 06) was also on the Wonder and was of coarse WONDERful, Then I sailed the Mariner Western in April 07. My kids are grown though so my experience was a bit different. Anxious to hear about the rest of your cruise., Thanks for shareing.

MJ

What a great review, thank you. Boy can I relate on how you feel, I am also the planner and the clothes packer, and always feel completely responsible if things are not perfect, it does put a lot of stress on, and there had been many times I wanted to throw all of them overboard.

We also have only done Disney and are going on our first RCLL cruise in february, my girls are 10 and 12, and I am hoping they will love it, I just don't want to hear all week, Disney does it that way.....

Day 3 Jamaica Mon

Ring, ring – the telephone was our wake up call to let us know that breakfast was on its way. (sorry Ron, but room service did actually find our room) We left out the door hanger sheet the prior evening with our meal and time requests, and they took it from there. This was a great and fast way to get going in the morning as we had an excursion to catch.

It’s Wednesday, must be Jamaica! This was the port that I had such a hard time deciding what to do! Would the falls be too much for the boys? Maybe we should do the longer river tubing excursion through the ship. After reading the ports thread on Jamaica, we decided to go with a private tour operator and do Dunn's River Falls with the shorter tubing trip. There are a number of great tour operators recommended on that board, and we chose Mark Morris.

For those of you who are worried about Jamaica – I will tell you step by step our experience. We walked off the ship, and down the long concrete pathway off the pier. We saw a sign (still inside the gated and fenced pier area) with Mark Morris’ name. We waited with others who had signed up for the tour. Mark came and escorted us directly to his van on the other side of the gate, introduced himself and used the microphone on the van to talk as he drove. There was our family of four, jazzyman (a fellow CC ) and his family of four, and a group of about 6 - 20 somethins’ in our group. We were going to Dunn’s River Falls first. Mark told us to leave everything in his locked van except a little extra cash (to tip guides if you want).

24260022.jpg

He even recommended leaving our sunglasses so they wouldn’t get lost in the water. He locked the van, and we all followed him through the gate (he already purchased our tickets) and he told us that when we were done with the climb, that we could exit out just the way we came in (to avoid the notorious vendors) and he would meet us. I am sorry for the boring detail here, but so many have expressed concerns about Jamaica, and I just wanted to make clear that we extremely well “watched over” by Mark and never felt any reason to worry. You walk down the path to the bottom of the falls, and along the way, you can see the “bail out” points where you can stop your climb if you want.

24260021.jpg

Not too crowded yet

Mark handed us over to our guide, and we all grabbed hands and made our way up! The guides make you swear to “Never break the Chain” (cue Fleetwood Mac). The first part was the hardest as the water was rushing pretty fast. They had a ton of rain the days previous to our visit – so a bit more water at the falls.

24260020.jpg

People ahead of us

Although we got there early, there was a pretty good crowd and the guides kind of “yell” at you in a Jamaican panic to move along. I keep thinking, “Where’s the fire”??? If need be, we got a pretty sweet looking bucket brigade chain going here. Thankfully this huge tattooed dude was in front of Ethan and helped him along as our guide sort of disappeared. So after the panic rush, there is a place where they want to take pictures of everyone. I gave the guide my own little disposable waterproof camera, and he takes our picture. This was the pattern the whole way up. Yell, Yell, splash, splash, hurry, hurry, snap snap (pictures J)

24260016.jpg

(note huge tattooed guy's back at left)

It wasn’t an easy climb, but I seemed the most concerned about it. Both boys said they had a blast, and at no time felt it was too difficult for them. I am glad to say I did it, and have the pic’s to prove it, although I did have fun, I probably wouldn't do it again. (Maybe I prefer more "authentic" experiences like where you wait in a long winding line without holding hands, to sit in a large fiberglass/plastic log boat and wind your way through a beautifully deocrated fake forest where larger than life bears and rabbits ask, "How do you do?" and the soundtrack blares "Zippity Doo Dah" in the background -Splash included) J

We got to the top, took a right, and walked back out through the entrance where Mark was waiting. When our whole group got there, he escorted us back to the van, and we were on our way.

Mark told us about Jamaica, its history, and its peoples’ desire to improve their lives. Education past about 8th grade is no longer tuition free, and that is why it is hard for many to attend school. Also, the elementary schools are so crowded that they run two sessions a day – one in the early morning till lunch, and then another group comes in until the early evening. He is very proud of his country, and wants us to have a good impression so we might return. We found it very interesting and appreciated learning more about Jamaica.

Next stop – river tubing. We pull up into what looks like just a long driveway, and hop out to meet Dwight, our guide. Again, Mark locks everything up in the van – I take the time to spray on a little bug spray (I still managed two little bites) and we are ready to go. Dwight and a boy about 10 (Evan) guide us down river, and pull us out if we get stuck on the side of the river.

24260004.jpg

My Evan (13) It really was a pretty ride

There were some nice currents at the beginning – nothing scary. About ½ way through, you get to the famous “Buy your picture and jump off the cliff” – or maybe it is “Buy the picture or we’ll push you off the cliff!” Actually there was no pressure, but I did buy two pictures. The name of this tour co. is Calypso Rafting. My hubby and son did take the leap of the “cliff” (note dirt overhang in the picture). They said it seemed like an eternity before they hit the water – didn’t look that far down from the jumping point.

24260006.jpg

Ethan looks on, but didn't take the plunge. Could it have been a bit of post traumatic stress disorder from his mother dangling him by his feet from the rails of a cruise ship?? hmmmmm

On our way back to the van, Mark had some sugar cane for us to try – cool. We drove up Fern Gully with a narration from Mark and some interesting wood carvings on the side of the road I was hoping the boys didn’t see. Let’s just say I think they had something to do with fertility. Sorry no pictures – this is a PG rated production – for mild violence and painful attempt at humor. On the way back it was already about 2, so we asked to be dropped back off at the pier. Mark dropped us off right at the gate, and we walked back to the ship. I apologize for all the boring details, but I would hate for anyone to skip this port. Here’s the kicker – it was my boys’ favorite day of the whole cruise!

Thanks Michele and Chochette!

Chochette - I know - the planner needs another vacation just to recover! Actually that is one reason why I like cruising - after we got settled in, everyone was able to do what they liked without huge sacrifices from the other members of the family. :) Plus the excursions kept us pretty busy! You will have a blast.

Archived