Can I avoid formal nights ?

Twilight Zone

We are planning a cruise from Vancouver tot Anchorage en will probably cruise with the Diamond Princess in June 2008.

Before the cruise we will visit Victoria Island en afther the cruise wel will travel through (a part of) Alaska.

First thing is, I am on a vacation and like my non-formal-clothing.

Second thing, We need lots of clothing for this trip and can use my suitcase-space better for a pair of extra hiking-shoes.

Is there an escape from the formal nights ?

We never go to formal nights. Like you said, we are on vacation and want to stay casual (we dress in suits for work everyday!).

We enjoy a dinner from the Lido buffet. Formal nights are my favorite because there are very few people at the buffet and we have a quiet and very casual dinner by the pool.

Enjoy.

We are planning a cruise from Vancouver tot Anchorage en will probably cruise with the Diamond Princess in June 2008.

Before the cruise we will visit Victoria Island en afther the cruise wel will travel through (a part of) Alaska.

Second thing, We need lots of clothing for this trip and can use my suitcase-space better for a pair of extra hiking-shoes.

You can order room service or eat in the lido restuarant. I would suggest though that you skip the show lounge-very few were dressed casually there on formal night and they stuck out like a sore thumb. Other lines like Carnival and RCI- 90% slip out of their formal clothing for the show lounge after dinner but not Princess.

But you will be perfectly fine to enjoy MUTS and there is a bar by the pool-and MUTS is alot of fun. We enjoyed it several evenings on our last Princess cruise, as we were on ship World Series week my hubby loved watching that on the movie screen!

I'm happy that you posted this question and that some responses have come in! my husband is very adamant about NOT bringing a suit cross country for our cruise in June and has little, if any, interest in going to formal nights because he thinks they are "unnecessary". I even offered to carry his suit myself on the plane and when I reminded him that I carried a huge wedding dress, cross country, by myself, in my hands and nobody heard a peep of complaint out of me and it was not that big of a deal, he wasn't swayed in the least.

I, on the other hand, LOVE dressing up and look forward to formal nights. While I would prefer to have my DH by my side, I can't force him to take part so I, too, was curious as to what his options were and just hadn't gotten around to posting -

-- just in case, maybe, just maybe, he would change his mind. So far... no go. As a matter of fact, it's a very heated subject in our household and even so much a mere hint of it, he gets very bothered.

Whatever! When he sees me walking out of our stateroom those nights, sashaying down those long hallways dressed to kill, he will wish he brought his suit. :D

Yes! During our December cruise on the Crown, there were many people who chose not to "participate" in the formal nights. There is absolutley nothing wrong with that, and in my opinion there is also nothing wrong with attending a show, or any other venue afterwards dressed casually. Many people choose to trade in their formal attire after dinner for the comfort of their casual clothing and take in a show in the lounge. I do remember though, the only people that did stick out were the one's who looked like they were attending a royal wedding. ;)

You're not limited and afterall it is you vacation. You should enjoy it any which way you like it. :)

my husband is very adamant about NOT bringing a suit cross country for our cruise in June and has little, if any, interest in going to formal nights because he thinks they are "unnecessary". I even offered to carry his suit myself on the plane

Would he agree to rent a tux from the ship? Sounds like he doesn't want the hassle of lugging a suit, so renting the tux would take away that issue. Seems like I remember hearing that someone rented a tux from the ship for her husband without him knowing - just in case he might change his mind once they were on the ship. If I'm remembering correctly, he wore it and was glad he did.

Just a thought -

-- just in case, maybe, just maybe, he would change his mind. So far... no go. As a matter of fact, it's a very heated subject in our household and even so much a mere hint of it, he gets very bothered.

Whatever! When he sees me walking out of our stateroom those nights, sashaying down those long hallways dressed to kill, he will wish he brought his suit. :D

Cruises are friendly places. So bring your gown and hit the Captains Party, I guarantee you'll meet others to chat with and then enjoy dinner with your tablemates. DH can order himself some room service or go to the buffet and then you both can have the evening you want. No point arguing over it.

But as hugosmom suggested, look into tux rental and find out if he can order one once you're aboard, just in case he changes his mind.

Would he agree to rent a tux from the ship? Sounds like he doesn't want the hassle of lugging a suit, so renting the tux would take away that issue. Seems like I remember hearing that someone rented a tux from the ship for her husband without him knowing - just in case he might change his mind once they were on the ship. If I'm remembering correctly, he wore it and was glad he did.

Just a thought -

I did suggest this. Unfortunately, he just didn't show much interest so it isn't just the thought of bringing a suit 3000 miles. I've thought about reserving one anyway... and I just may do so. I will have to look into deposits and whatnot in case I do reserve one and he still chooses to not partake in the formal nights.

It would be one thing if the BOTH of us didn't care to dress up because there is nothing wrong with those who prefer to stay casual on those nights, but when one person does want to go formal and one doesn't, it creates some frustration. Thankfully, we are traveling with some family so I will have company--- just no husband by my side. I only want him there if he wants to be!

Thanks for the suggestions about the tux -- I will look into "on the sly" for now :)

I do remember though, the only people that did stick out were the one's who looked like they were attending a royal wedding. ;)

Please - you can't be serious. I suspect that if people stuck out because they were well dressed then most people were admiring the way they look.

You're not limited and afterall it is you vacation. You should enjoy it any which way you like it. :)

The OP was asking a valid and appreciated question ~ they want to enjoy their cruise and not participate in formal nights, but they don't want to stand out like a sore thumb. I think it is terrific that they are investigating how to enjoy their cruise while still respecting others who choose to participate in formal nights.

Please - you can't be serious. I suspect that if people stuck out because they were well dressed then most people were admiring the way they look.

The OP was asking a valid and appreciated question ~ they want to enjoy their cruise and not participate in formal nights, but they don't want to stand out like a sore thumb. I think it is terrific that they are investigating how to enjoy their cruise while still respecting others who choose to participate in formal nights.

Amen!

Kudos to civility!

On some cruiselines "formal evening attire" applies to the entire ship (pool and buffet areas excluded) from 6PM on, not just the diningroom during dinner hours. Be sure you know before you go.

RE: tux rentals. You have to reserve a tux before you go... and it's not a deposit, it's paid in full. It will be delivered to your cabin. If you choose not to use it, you still pay for it (in advance).

I'm happy that you posted this question and that some responses have come in! my husband is very adamant about NOT bringing a suit cross country for our cruise in June and has little, if any, interest in going to formal nights because he thinks they are "unnecessary". I even offered to carry his suit myself on the plane and when I reminded him that I carried a huge wedding dress, cross country, by myself, in my hands and nobody heard a peep of complaint out of me and it was not that big of a deal, he wasn't swayed in the least.

I, on the other hand, LOVE dressing up and look forward to formal nights. While I would prefer to have my DH by my side, I can't force him to take part so I, too, was curious as to what his options were and just hadn't gotten around to posting -

You know if you choose anytime dinning you could still go to dinner and the shows-many cruise solo-no big deal if you go alone-(and by choosing anytime dinning-you won't feel uncomfortable with your tablemates and explaining your hubby did not want to participate -just let your hubby enjoy mutts and lido dinning.

One thing Princess will do also-is you can order a room service meal of lobster and all the fancy trimmings and they will serve it on your balcony-but they do charge $50 for this.

I strongly disagree with the post about it was okay to dress down in the show lounge-at least on my cruise-there was only a handful-which made them stick out-it was not like RCI and Carnival where you stick out if you stay dressed up. Now this may not bother you and your husband- I have never been comfortable with others noticing me-I like to "blend in".

Thanks for your answers.

I think we will use the buffet or order room-service on formal nights and keep a low profile the rest of the night ;) .

Good option! The food at the buffet was very good, so I really don't think you're missing out on all that much :p .

I would suggest though that you skip the show lounge-very few were dressed casually there on formal night and they stuck out like a sore thumb.

On the Crown 12/29 cruise, I noticed very few people in casual clothes on formal nights. The ones who stuck out were the people wearing cargo shorts and tee shirts. If you wear less blatantly casual clothes -- say Dockers or a casual skirt, and a nice polo or shirt, still comfy but not beach casual ;) -- I think you will be just fine in the theater, lounges or wherever you choose. And this is coming from someone who stays all dressed up until bedtime :)

Little joke there.

What I don't understand is the people that claim to LOVE to dress up and then slip out of those dressy clothes ASAP right after dinner (around 90% on Carnival a fellow CC wrote). I prefer to stay in my lovely clothes and at least enjoy a show in them. What is the purpose of changing that many times a day? I guess it truly kills modern society now days to be in any type of formal wear.

Little joke there.

What I don't understand is the people that claim to LOVE to dress up and then slip out of those dressy clothes ASAP right after dinner (around 90% on Carnival a fellow CC wrote). I prefer to stay in my lovely clothes and at least enjoy a show in them. What is the purpose of changing that many times a day? I guess it truly kills modern society now days to be in any type of formal wear.

Yes that 90% is my exprience of both Carnival and RCI-in fact on RCI the entertainer in the main lounge made a joke about it-he said something like-"I see everyone wanted to be comfortable after dinner".

The complete OPPOSITE was true on Celebrity and Princess-instead of a handful staying dresed, a handful had dressed down. I haven't been on HAL in a long time-but on HAL NO ONE had dressed down-PERIOD.

It is still that way on HAL and one of the reasons we enjoy cruising with them. :)

My thing is this-if a person really does not want to dress up that badly-but yet they do not want to miss a show on formal night-why not go on a line like NCL where it is optionial and is only once during the week.

There are all sort of cruiselines-many owned by the same parent company-there is a crusieline that fits most everyone's lifestyle.

Op, I have never been on a cruise and if I felt that there would be no way to avoid the formal stuff I would never ever go on one.

I despise dressing up, and there would be no way on a crusie that I would do it. Good Lord I am on vacation!!

edit: That does not mean that I would crash formal gatherings dressed casually. I would feel uncomfortable and I think it is kinda rude, although when it has happened in the past, people were for the most part quite gracious!

Op, I have never been on a cruise and if I felt that there would be no way to avoid the formal stuff I would never ever go on one.

I despise dressing up, and there would be no way on a crusie that I would do it. Good Lord I am on vacation!!

edit: That does not mean that I would crash formal gatherings dressed casually. I would feel uncomfortable and I think it is kinda rude, although when it has happened in the past, people were for the most part quite gracious!

Summers, it is not like spending an exhausting day at th eamusemant park where you are GLAD you can grab a bite at Bob Evans without returning to your hotel to change.

a cruise is a very relaxing type vacation and you are only a hallway and an elevator away from the dinningroom to your stateroom so it is nothing to change clothes and clean up a bit.

Now we have ordered room service a couple of times because we took a late excursion and were too tried to make dinner-(but even if we felt comfortable coming "as is"-I think we would have took room service anyway-too tiered for the hour plus meal) but normally it is no big deal and actually a little fun.

I have been to upscale resturants while on vacation a couple of times. I know af ew years ago we spent a long wkend on Tybee Island and went into Savannah tr a very nice upscale resturant and yes we dressed up-ON VACATION-why? becuase that restuarant required it and it was a very famous resturant writen up in travel magazines that we wanted to go to- hey, we didn't mind, if we did we would have just chosen a differant restuarant. The same goes for a crusieship, there are other choices if you really do not want to to change out of your shorts. You can eat without going to the dinnningroom.

Little joke there.

I agree...we look forward to the evening and stay in our formal clothes until we retire. We thoroughly enjoy it.

Summers, it is not like spending an exhausting day at th eamusemant park where you are GLAD you can grab a bite at Bob Evans without returning to your hotel to change.

a cruise is a very relaxing type vacation and you are only a hallway and an elevator away from the dinningroom to your stateroom so it is nothing to change clothes and clean up a bit.

Now we have ordered room service a couple of times because we took a late excursion and were too tried to make dinner-(but even if we felt comfortable coming "as is"-I think we would have took room service anyway-too tiered for the hour plus meal) but normally it is no big deal and actually a little fun.

I have been to upscale resturants while on vacation a couple of times. I know af ew years ago we spent a long wkend on Tybee Island and went into Savannah tr a very nice upscale resturant and yes we dressed up-ON VACATION-why? becuase that restuarant required it and it was a very famous resturant writen up in travel magazines that we wanted to go to- hey, we didn't mind, if we did we would have just chosen a differant restuarant. The same goes for a crusieship, there are other choices if you really do not want to to change out of your shorts. You can eat without going to the dinnningroom.

I think its my laziness that I like to indulge the most. ;)

The "dressing up" factor was always in the back of my mind when it came to cruising, so it really is nice to know that I truly have a choice. :)

I mean, anyway, its not like I dress like a slob. I would not even bring denim or baggy graphic printed t-shirts on a crusie. Nor would I bring "workout" type shoes (except for the gym) and most of my flip flops are havaianas or Bernardo. :cool:

I always liked formal nights my husband dislikes them but indulges me. Our last cruise was a longer cruise and so port intensive that we were just too tired to get excited about the extra energy needed for those nights. We were traveling with 3 other couples and we all went to the first formal night only. On the second formal we had an absolutely amazing night doing the ultimate balcony dinner ( would definitely do this again) and on the third formal we all went to the ship's steak restaurant. To be very honest discussions among other guests on this cruise(Princess) there were a great many empty tables in the formal dining room. :(

Archived