31 Day Sapphire clothes and beauty questions

SissyG

What a horrible name!

Yes, the girdle type pants may hold you in but create more of a roll in the middle than you really have. The absolute best for me has been a Bali body briefer. It is made of stretchy lace (in white or black) and holds everything gently in place. It is one piece like a bathing suit and you buy it according to your bra size. I used to be able to find them at Macys but they seem to have discontinued them. Imagine my surprise when I just saw them being sold in an AVON CATALOG!!! ($39.99) I buy an extra one, take the straps off & replace them with the clear ones for outfits where they may show.

Sometimes I will wear these shapers under a jersey to avoid the bra/panty line.

Thank goodness for this thread. I can't imagine discussing underwear with the men!!!! (Are you taking many boxers?? No, but I am taking my formal briefs!!!)

Nancy

Maybe when our posts turn to the dreaded subject of bathing suits Ron will show up to discuss the pros and cons of a speedo...well actually I don't think there are any pros to a Speedo! Oh, Yikes, bathing suits..will have to save that for a day that I am feeling very brave and thin.

I wear Spanx and like them but I have never tried anything else..will google Bali Body Brief to take a look.

I always fly with my makeup closeby in my carryon, but with the strict 14 pound restriction I don't know if I can do that this time...I would have to just put that and nothing else in my suitcase...I hate the idea of all my makeup in my checked bag....what if it was delayed or even worse...God forbid it got lost...I would die.

Sissy

Is the correct name for the spandex just SPANDEX when I look at QVC on line? I have not seen this in the store....where else would they carry it? Thanks

Hi, I am not going on your cruise but can tell you they are called

SPANX;).

I tried to post the link for you but it won't seem to submit.

Type in SPANX in the search engine on their website. You should

get about 27 choices under that brand.

Hope this helps:) and I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

PS Hi Sissy:)

Nancy and Sissy,

Enjoyed your posts - I was wondering too if we may have some spies on this thread. Ron may not be able to resist some speedo comments when he returns. How funny!

I'm afraid I'm more low maintenance than a lot of you. Weight Watchers online is my best friend right now though!

Helen

Helen, I have friends who use WW online and have really done well..they love that they have to account for their points and can chart their losses. What ever works for you is good...I used to love Jenny Craig and lost weight really well on her program but since being diagnosed with Celiac Sprue I can't eat most of her food because it contains wheat or gluten of some kind.

Don't tell my husband that I am not low maintenance...I have convinced him that compared to others I am very low maintenance. Don't know if he is really buying it or just humoring me.

Hi Lois, how are you..too bad you are not going on this cruise..I know you would fit right in.. I see you have been busy booking cruises for later this year. Good for you!

I don't know if Ron will post here...but I bet if he knows about us he not be able to resist reading this;) ..Yoo Hoo, Ron...if you are reading this....I hope you are blushing. :D

Sissy

Anni -I'm in with the capris and will even brave a few pair of shorts. Hate to mention the jeans thing here, but plan to were them during the colder part of our trip. Promise no jeans in dining room though! :o From what I can tell it could be in the 50-60 range Hobart and New Zealand. If I'm wrong about these temps let me know. I really don't know what to expect and wonder if the sun is as big a problem for burning at the time of year we are going. What are all of you bringing in the way of head coverings?

Sissy - I did great on WW on line losing 60 lbs and keeping it off for two years until having a battle with Thyroid issues this last year. I'm back on track now working the program again. I like it since you don't really eliminate any of the major food groups. I know it will work for me again and I don't have as much to lose this time around. Won't have it off before the trip :mad: but plan to walk the decks once on board. I'm sure you've noticed how much more active this thread is right now than our main one.

I posted a little while ago, but got the dreaded white screen, so trying again.

I won't fully focus on packing until I get back to Toronto in early February, but I am sure that capris will figure largely in my packing - great for 'smart casual' as well as daytime.

I followed WW online before my last Sapphire transpacific and it helped to figure out portion control. If I can stick to mixed berries for dessert (okay with one ice cream scoop), I should be able to make it through the cruise with the same wardrobe. Okay, one exception is the raspberry creme brulee!!

Cheers,

Steph

I'm all for capris - they're great for touring and sitting out on the verandah! I bought new jeans yesterday for the trip that are a size too small - an incentive to continue Weight Watchers till we go.

I bring a long black skirt and black dress pants and three tops. With different shawls and accessories, it looks like five different formal outfits. Everything I am bringing goes with black shoes so I can bring a pair for formal nights and a pair for all the other nights. Add walking shoes and a couple pairs of sandals and my suitcase is nearly full already!

Can someone who's done this itinerary before tell us if they sold T-shirts for this specific itinerary last time? We bought them on our Antarctica cruise - it was quite a mob scene as 2500 passengers fought over 500 shirts. If they'll have the shirts with the itinerary and some for these specific ports, I can bring fewer T-shirts since we won't hit hot weather for a while.

What methods of packing do most of you use---rolling, packing in zip lock bags, etc? I usually use the 2 gallon zip lock baggies to put 2 or sometimes 3 tops in that I have folded using tissue paper. I like the zip lock bags because I don't have to worry about everything getting wet in case the luggage is left out in the rain, etc. However, it really takes a long time to pack.

We went to a cruise show today, and there was a presentation on how to pack. The presenter(who was from Princess) said that she laid out a dry cleaning bag flat on the bed, laid 2 sets of clothes on top of it (no folding), then she put another dry cleaner bag and kept alternating--a set of 2, then dry cleaners bag. Then she said to lightly roll it all together and put it in the suitcase. She said you would be surprised at how few wrinkles they have. I put cleaners' bags on each of our hang up clothes and accordian fold them into a suitcase, but I had never heard of the rolling method. Have any of you? She said it made packing very quick.

I love this thread!!:)

I've never seen or heard of rolling clothes between layers of drycleaning bags but I'm sure it would work..I roll all my travelors and put them between the ribs on the bottom of suitcase then I layer my outfits with drycleaners bags in between them.

I have a hanging bag that has compartments that I put all my bras, panties, stockings and spanx into and it folds in two in my suitcase...then when I unpack it I attach it to the clothes hanger in the closet with the clips on it and then I have more room in the drawers for other things like Tshirts and my rolled travelors.

They did have a Tshirt for our LA to Sydney cruise in the gift shop and also all the port and destination Tshirts. We only bought the LA to Sydney one from Princess but picked up others from different places we visited on our excursions. As I remember the LA to Sydney shirt was a hot item and even went up at the auction at the end of the cruise and got big bucks.

I wear crop pants or pedal pusher or capris whatever you like to call them most of the time..I feel more comfortable in them than in shorts, but will take a pair of knee shorts and a pair that goes with some of my Fresh Produce sports clothes.

I have been trying to lose weight with the goal in mind of being able to wear my Chicos size 1 jeans without lying down on the bed to get them zipped...this morning I thought why not try...I was pleasantly surprised that I could zip them....I am not saying they weren't tight..but they zipped.

There are probably several of us that will be walking the decks...we should try to get together some of the days. Donna aka Raydon said that they walk 4 to 6 miles 5 times a week, wish I had that kind of dedication. Sissy

We use Eagle Creek folding containers because we have large duffle bags, no hard heavy cases. Although, for our dress clothes and jackets I do the same as Jan: cover them on the hangers with several dry cleaner bags and fold them and put them inside and on top of the duffle.

I have to ask you girls "Does anyone wear pantyhose anymore?" I haven't worn them since I retired almost seven years ago. All of my shoes are open toed (except my walking shoes - Mephisto's) and I wear them barefoot. I guess with the cool weather in NZ, I better put some socks in the bag. Bought another pair of shoes to day (I didn't have any white sandals). So far I have two pair of flat sandals, one pair of white heels, one pair of gold heels, three pair of black heels, one pair of brown heels. Plus walking shoes that I will wear on the plane and water shoes. I guess I better look at them and take out one pair. LOL DH says he is bringing two pair packed and walking shoes on the plane. -- More room for me-- :D

Please don't tell my DH that those cookies are not diet/no sugar ones!! Although I always ask for sugar free desserts (and they are good) in the dining room.

I walk about 4 to 5 days here in the park since we came to Florida and will try to continue once on board.. Good idea we get together, DH doesn't walk with me. I just put the Ipod in my ears and start walking. Once we get home in Canada in March, I think the weather will be too cold for me.

As for the capris, I love them. Although I have two pair of dress shorts to pack. Will be wearing the capris the most.

Love this gabfest with no men. :)

Snowbird

Yes Anni, will be bringing Capris, jeans, shorts, slax and everything I can squeeze in!Also thanks for the info. on Spanx....will look that up on line! We should organize a walking group for those sea days. Would be fun for a bunch of us to walk together. We walk 2-3 miles most mornings, but would be more fun with women.,.,.,we can gab, gab!

Sissy

Firstly thanks for setting up this thread, it is SO reassuring that Shirley and I are not the only ones who pack to the weight allowance, we usually get heavy stickers as well. You would not believe the aggrivation and ridicule we have taken over the years for always travelling with too much of everything just in case.

We have decided on this trip we will not compromise on evening out fits. Part of the attraction of cruising for us is the dressing up, something in our normal lives we dont do very often. Therefore for Aus & NZ it will be trousers, tee shirts a thin fleece and lightweight waterproof jacket. Basicially layers that can be mix and matched and carried easily whilst out and about if necessary.

For the islands we too thought cut offs/shorts with very light cotton tops or cover ups over swimwear with maybe a long skirt or cotton sun dress for something a little smarter.We will try and restrict the footwear too, to allow us to maximise on bags/shoes and lots of bling for the evenings !!

We have a couple of questions for those of you that have been on the Sapphire previously. Do the laundries have readily available irons and ironing boards or would we be advised to bring a travel iron?

This may seem strange, but are the hairdryers in the bathrooms or in the cabins. This is because when one of us is in the bathroom and if that one needs to dry their hair the other one cannot get in to shower, not a problem for those of you whose menfolk dont take long to dry their locks!! If the hairdryers are in the cabin itself we can do a swap round without inconveniencing each other.

With regards

Helen.

Sign me up for the walking group.

We used to walk 5 miles 3x week and bicycle 25 miles 3x week. When we retired 5 years ago, this was replaced with motorcycling & constant traveling (eating??) still walk when the weather is nicer but in Pittsburgh that is not until April. My firm has become flubby.

I will be bringing capris. I have 2 dressy pairs with jackets that I have worn to dinner on other cruises. Also, I never travel without my "Tilly" hat. It can be rolled in a ball in my purse so it takes very little room. (probably the ONLY thing I am taking that doesn't weigh much) Besides protecting me from the sun, it is a great remedy for bad hair. Even if it is not very hot in AU or NZ, the UV rays are more intense than we are used to.

Definitely taking jeans.... NO, NOT to dinner!!!

Maybe I'll go & try on some clothes now

Nancy

OK, I'm confused.

I posted a reply at 9am. It would not repost when I pushed the button again. The previous page says that the last post was "rollingstone @ 9am". When I look at the thread, I am nowhere to be found. When I click on my name for previous posts it shows that I really did post. Where have I gone????

Nancy

Never mind, after 20 minutes I turned up on pg 3.

I once was lost but now I'm found!!!!

What methods of packing do most of you use---rolling, packing in zip lock bags, etc

I love this thread!!:)

We started using the Eagle Creek "Pack It Bags" a few trips ago and now would not leave home with out them. We have various sizes. I pack tops in one, pants in one size, jackets/cover ups in another. I think you get the idea. When we get where we are going, I just take them out and put in drawer or a shelf. When its time to pack for the dreaded trip home just zip the "Pack Its" and put back in the suitcase. Its so easy to deal with. I'm going to pick up a couple more of the Medium size before this Sydney adventure. We also use the cleaner bags for the hang up things which are becoming less and less all the time.

Hugs

Anni

I

I wear crop pants or pedal pusher or capris whatever you like to call them most of the time..I feel more comfortable in them than in shorts, but will take a pair of knee shorts and a pair that goes with some of my Fresh Produce sports clothes.

I have been trying to lose weight with the goal in mind of being able to wear my Chicos size 1 jeans without lying down on the bed to get them zipped...this morning I thought why not try...I was pleasantly surprised that I could zip them....I am not saying they weren't tight..but they zipped. Sissy

Keep up the good work Sissy

I'm so glad to see many of us will be wearing capris. Since I'm on the short side (5'2") I have to shorten mine to make them not look like high water pants. LOL. I will also be taking a couple of pair of knee shorts for the warm weather ( Chico's of course).

Hugs

Anni

Yes Anni, will be bringing Capris, jeans, shorts, slax and everything I can squeeze in!Also thanks for the info. on Spanx....will look that up on line! We should organize a walking group for those sea days. Would be fun for a bunch of us to walk together. We walk 2-3 miles most mornings, but would be more fun with women.,.,.,we can gab, gab!

YES! lets walk on board, its always more fun when others join in. Jeff will do his 'spinning classes" as often as they have them. Usually once a day or every other day.

I got my Spanx ( not the lacy one-the regular one) at the Bali outlet and love them.

Hugs

Anni

Helen, the hairdryers are hanging on the wall just above the desk so while one of you is showering the other can be drying their hair. The hairdryers are not the best I have used but they work unless you have very thick or long hair. The clothes you described are perfect choices. All the laundry room have ironing boards and very good steam irons.

The only time I wear panty hose is when I am on a cruise..I guess I am a product of my generation but I don't feel dressed up without them. I also feel that they make my slinky travelors look much better, kind of smooths out all the little nooks and crannys if you know what I mean.

I have always had a thing for beautiful dressy shoes and had a closet full of them until I started having problems with my feet..I can't wear high heels and smile at the same time any more so have to wear either dressy flats or a tiny heel on formal nights. For daytime I have found Earth shoes..remember them? They used to be the shoe of choice for hippys back in the day. Now they have really cute styles but still with the negative heel so there is no pressure on the balls of your feet..the only problem with them is that most of them have a slight platform and they are just a little heavier than most shoes, so they are not really packing friendly. I am wearing my Earth athletic shoes on the plane and taking 2 pair of Earth sandals..black and white...also taking my Tevas for the beach and daytime.

Yesterday during all the football games I decided I could stand it no longer and started getting out some of the things that I have bought for this trip..funny how much stuff you can accumulate when you have been planning a trip for almost 2 years...So now the pre-cruise staging is in motion..I have non clothes items laid out on the bed in the guestroom...only 12 weeks from tomorrow until we leave. Robert has given up on kidding me about it..he knows how much I love all this precruise frenzy.

Sissy

I like the idea of rolling my knit things and putting them in between the rungs on the bottom of the suitcase. I think I will try that. Thanks for the idea, Sissy!

I have seen the Eagle Creek "Pack It" cubes. How many tops or pants can you get in one cube? Which sizes would you recommend?

I also will be wearing mostly capris. Unless I lose "a lot" of weight between now and cruise time( and somehow I don't see that happening) I probably will not be wearing shorts!

Shoes are my downfall as well! I always take too many, but I am really going to try to cut down on those this trip.

We are combining this trip with a road trip to LA, so we will have two sets of bags--road trip and cruise bags. When we did this before, you wouldn't believe the amount of luggage we had!:eek: When we had to rearrange luggage in our car the night before we got on the cruise, we created entertainment for the other people staying in the hotel as they watched us trying to get everything back in!! It was quite a show!:D

Well, my dirty house is calling me---"CLEAN ME!"--so I had better go. Believe me, I would much rather stay on this thread and chat than do what I need to do!!

Jan

Ladies

Another electrical enquiry, do we get kettles in the cabins. I have checked on the Princess site and they are not mentioned with the cabin facilities.

We do like to take our preffered brand of coffee/tea for that early morning cuppa, but can we boil up a kettle or again should we bring the travel version?.

Your answers are appreciated.

Helen.

I have seen the Eagle Creek "Pack It" cubes. How many tops or pants can you get in one cube? Which sizes would you recommend?

Jan

Hi Jan,

We each ( I have blue Jeff has Red) 3 large,3 med and 2 smaller ones. Sometimes we mix and match depending on where we are going and what we need to take For my clothes the med are perfect for tops. The mens shirts fit better in the large ones. I kind of had to play with them to see what fit. I put all travelers and other tops in 1 of the medium ones. Pants and shorts go into a large 1 and so on. Its so easy if you need to find something because you do not have to go through everything, just move the "pack its". I ordered the large ones from E-Bags and got all the others at the Samsonite Outlet. At the time they did not carry the large ones. The ones I returned were the 2 sided ones that opened on both sides. It was cumbersome to be flipping them over.

Hugs

Anni

Princess does not have a kettle in the cabins, we always travel with our Farberware 4 cup coffee pot and get milk, sweet & low and cups from the buffet. Sometimes I take a small timer and use the coffee pot as our wakeup call when we have an early arrival in port. Sissy

Archived