31 Day Sapphire clothes and beauty questions

SissyG

There is a lot of interest in Ginger Altoids to prevent seasickness on our board. Do you know if these are available in Sydney? They are little breath mints that come in a tin the size of a deck of cards.

I would prefer to not carry anything with me into Australia that has to be explained or will create a delay when we arrive so if they can be picked up there it would be super.

Sissy

Since we are women and are all multi-taskers it's great to know that some of the valuable suitcase space is taken up with items that can multitask also. In addition to the cotton squares doing double duty, if any of you take makeup sponges with you these can also be used if you feel a blister coming on from a new pair of shoes. Just tuck it in your shoe.

Any other double duty ideas gals?

Deb

Just to add here, you are allowed to bring some food items in eg lollies and mostly prepackaged foods you just have to declare them and show them to customs and they will send you on your way.

do not try and bring any meats, fruits flowers seeds etc as they will be taken off you.

just carry them in your hang luggaage along with your medication.

Yesterday I was able to pick up new Adidas crop pants, jacket and T to wear walking on the ship. This was necessary because what I walk in at home is not to be seen by others...LOL Penney's was having a great sale on all their athletic wear.

A few cruises ago we discovered how handy it is to take along an over the door shoe hanger. We hang it on the bathroom door facing the closets and use all the little pockets for storing our camera, binoculars, sunscreen, cruisecards and anything else that will fit so we always know where to look first.

I've seen a lot of packing tips here but wonder if anyone has an idea for packing beaded jackets..I don't want anything to rub against them and damage the beading..I had thought I would use plastic bags but maybe someone else has a better idea. Sissy

Yesterday I was able to pick up new Adidas crop pants, jacket and T to wear walking on the ship. This was necessary because what I walk in at home is not to be seen by others...LOL Penney's was having a great sale on all their athletic wear.

A few cruises ago we discovered how handy it is to take along an over the door shoe hanger. We hang it on the bathroom door facing the closets and use all the little pockets for storing our camera, binoculars, sunscreen, cruisecards and anything else that will fit so we always know where to look first.

I've seen a lot of packing tips here but wonder if anyone has an idea for packing beaded jackets..I don't want anything to rub against them and damage the beading..I had thought I would use plastic bags but maybe someone else has a better idea. Sissy

Sissy aka SissyG - I came up with the best idea a few years ago on how to pack beaded jackets. Just packed up all my beaded formals included the jackets and packed them away in my closet at home. I've gone to very lightweight jackets with just a little embellishment on them. They weight about the same as a silk scarf. Found the more we cruise and longer the cruise, the less I bring. There are a lots of restrictions placed on baggage both checked and carry-on, I found it so much easier to just leave the beaded items home and save them for short cruises, like to the Caribbean Islands. Found no need to bring them on the long cruises.;)

The weight limit for our checked bags will be 2 bags @ 50 pounds each. International limits may still be 70 pounds for each bag, but we'll be flying R/T to LAX on domestic flights. You'd be surprised home much you can do with out when packing for long cruises. It’s also more fun to buy items from the ports we’ll be visiting.

The over the door shoe bag is a great idea. Last time on the Diamond, I had a small hanging bag for shoes and another with shelves for small folded items to put in the closet. I will need to purchase new ones if I plan to bring any this trip, (the old ones bit the dust).

Magnets and suction cup hooks work great for hanging items in your cabin. The local dollar type store always has a big supply of them. I use the magnets on the walls and suction cup hooks for the smooth flat surfaces and mirrors. Depending on the ship, I like to bring a couple over the door hooks for hats & umbrellas and even cloths as I set out to ware in the evening. Many folks have found bringing the small folding mesh baskets great for laundry.

I also use zip-lock bags in all sizes for just about everything I pack, from paper work to clothing.

Have fun buying and packing. Take care, Lorraine:)

Hi Sissy,

I have used the shoe hanger on previous cruises and it works great for all those little things that seem to get lost in the jumble of a small room.

As for beaded jackets, I always pack mine in tissue paper and they come through unscathed. I usually save some of the tissue paper from my most recent Chico's purchase and use that. Unfortunately this time, no beaded jackets are coming. They weigh too much.

We leave 2 months from Monday for Australia.

Judi

I am hoping that all the concessions I have made on other items like only bringing my makeup and minimal toiletries will make up for the difference in weight so I can bring 2 beaded jackets and lots of shoes. Buying toiletries in Sydney also frees up lots of room and decreases the weight in my suitcase.

My jackets are really not that heavy, they are both silk and are not like the heavy all over beading they used to do. They are both new and I have not worn them before, I would die if I could not bring them this time. I am also wearing the same ol'same ol' black pants over and over so that also helps.

I have tons of Chico's tissue and will use it to wrap the jackets and then put them in plastic bags, thanks for that tip.

I guess the scales will ultimately determine what I can and cannot bring on packing day. As excited as I am about the trip and what I am wearing, I actually hate packing. The actual putting my clothes into the suitcase for some reason is kind of scary..go figure!!! :confused: Sissy

Does anyone own a Tilley hat? I keep hearing that sun protection is important in the part of the world we are traveling. If you have one, do you think they are worth the money?

http://tilley.com/hat_category.asp?gender=&catId=1

My husband has a Tilley hat and will be bringing it. Our dermatologist said he needed to get one and he has been very happy with it. :)

Clare

Hi Sissy, Ron really does have a wife. Thanks for all the information on what to bring for the cruise. I plan on bring Capri's, jeans and for formal nights 3 different tops to wear with my pants. I am also doing ww so a support group is great and count me in on walking. Sissy I promise that Ron will not bring his speedo,as it takes up to much room in the suitcase, that I need for shoes.:)

Hi Carol, happy to hear from you, looking forward to meeting you in person.

Thanks for the reassurance that Ron will be leaving the Speedo home. He has taken a lot of kidding about that, but I suspect that he loves it.

Sissy

Hi Carol, happy to hear from you, looking forward to meeting you in person.

Thanks for the reassurance that Ron will be leaving the Speedo home. He has taken a lot of kidding about that, but I suspect that he loves it.

Sissy

Sissy, Ron does love all the kidding so keep it up. I will try to find the Ginger Altoids, and am going to check on the large ziplock bags. does any one know the weight allowance on Qantas, or do they just go by size of the bags? Thanks again for all the information. Carol

Does anyone know how strict Hawaiian Airlines is about the weight of your carry-on bags? I am not concerned about the size; I know that is okay, but the weight---I don't know. When we have flown before, we have never had our carry-on bags weighed, so we have tried to carry our heavier items that way. Well, last year we flew on Air France, and when they asked us to put our carry-ons on the scale--including my purse-- I about died!:eek: We were "over the limit" and had to pay!!!

We got a new rolling computer bag at Costco the other day which is really neat, but I am concerned about how heavy it will be once we get everything in it we need to carry! It is made by Swiss Gear and is a little heavier to begin with than most! I think their carry-on limit is 25 lbs, which is more than most airlines allow, but since the bag is a little heavy to begin with, it has me worried. We only have to worry about the Hawaiian flight because we are doing a road trip to and from LA.

Jan

When we flew Qantas home from Australia we had to actually stand at the desk and throw items away to meet the 15 pound carryon weight limit. Their checked bag weight limit is 50 pounds and you are allowed 2 pieces. They also have a size limit..it is a total for BOTH bags of 106" Width + Height + Depth total with no one bag exceeding 62" they were sticklers for this at the Sydney airport when we flew Qantas 4 years ago. We each have 2 large bags but they measured more than the allowance together so we had to find a slightly smaller bag to meet the requirements. The thing that really irritated us was that after standing there and throwing away my toiletries they then allowed us to buy duty free items once inside and take on the plane. I 've read on the CC boards that sometimes they are strict and other times they don't even check. We hope to check our luggage all the way thru to Sydney from Fort Smith, Arkansas when we board our AA flight to LA. Sissy

Does anyone know how strict Hawaiian Airlines is about the weight of your carry-on bags? I am not concerned about the size; I know that is okay, but the weight---I don't know. When we have flown before, we have never had our carry-on bags weighed, so we have tried to carry our heavier items that way. Well, last year we flew on Air France, and when they asked us to put our carry-ons on the scale--including my purse-- I about died!:eek: We were "over the limit" and had to pay!!!

We got a new rolling computer bag at Costco the other day which is really neat, but I am concerned about how heavy it will be once we get everything in it we need to carry! It is made by Swiss Gear and is a little heavier to begin with than most! I think their carry-on limit is 25 lbs, which is more than most airlines allow, but since the bag is a little heavy to begin with, it has me worried. We only have to worry about the Hawaiian flight because we are doing a road trip to and from LA.

Jan

Jan,

I checked their web site because I had the same concerns and this is what I found.

"Your carry on baggage should be no more than 45 linear inches, or 9"x14"x22" (L+W+H), and weight no more than 25 pounds. The following items are not included as part of the carry on baggage limit; handbag or pocketbook, overcoat or wrap, umbrella, camera and/or a pair of binoculars, a reasonable amount of reading matter for the flight"

Maybe we can stuff extra in the handbag or camera case.

Judi

Judi

Baggage allowance: Hawaiian Airlines allows each ticketed passenger one piece of carry-on baggage, which must have linear dimensions of no more than 45 inches (length + height + width) and weigh no more than 25 pounds. You may also bring a purse, umbrella, camera, a collapsible wheelchair and/or medical equipment. Travelers are permitted to check-in two pieces of baggage free of charge. Each must be no more than 62 linear inches and weigh no more than 50 pounds. Excess baggage is charged at $25 for all excess pieces for travel within the State of Hawaii; $80 each for 1st to 3rd excess pieces; $105 each for 4th to 6th excess pieces; $180 each for 7th or any additional excess piece for travel between the Continental U.S. and Hawaii or within the Continental U.S. If the bag weighs more than 50 pounds but less than 70 pounds, there is a $25 charge. Hawaiian Airlines will not accept any bag over 70 pounds.

From the HA site.

Anni

Hi guys,

We are flying United from LA to Sydney...anyone know their luggage policies?

And since we are doing a pre-tour with Princess, I am assuming they will "hold" some luggage for us until we board the ship? Is this correct? They did it for us in Alaska, so we carried just one small suitcase for the land portion and had our two checked bags held until the cruise?

Thanks,

Bobbie

We had the great good fortune to do this cruise in 2007 and it was WONDERFUL. It was our first long cruise and like most people we worried about the packing for such a long trip. As we were flying in from the UK we were allowed only 23kg each (and we were travelling for 6 weeks). My advice is to carry no toiletries at all, buy everything in Sydney. There are self service launderettes on board and although they have dispensers for detergent etc. I saw several ladies who much better prepared than I was who had taken small packs with them, again I would suggest you buy them in Sydney. There are irons and ironing boards in the laundry rooms so if you pack for a 10 day cruise you will be able to launder and iron everything you need. There were 5 formal nights (I think) and one long skirt in a dark colour, same for evening trousers, with several glitzy tops will see you through. Remember to pack something for Island Night, almost everyone dressed up for that and it was an absolute blast. My one other important piece of advice is nothing to do with dress but I have to mention that if you are a coffee lover, take a jar of really good instant with you. The coffee in the buffet was from a syrup and you can make your own very easily (sorry to digress). Hope all or any of this is a help to someone out there. Boy are you in for a treat.

Hi Sandancer, as a fellow Brit and on the 2008 cruise, can you tell me if you travelled by Virgin via Hong Kong, if so, were they very strict with the 23kg and 6kg hand luggage. I am taking long skirts and trousers and plus as many tops that i can manage with the weight allowance, no beaded jackets etc, all too heavy, plus i am spending a week at the Marriott pre cruise, so i will be away almost 6 weeks , any things i cant pack -i will buy in Sydney, thanks again for your tips on cruise critic , regards , audrey :)

Audrey - yes we did fly Virgin via Hong Kong and yes they were quite strict about the bags. They weighed the hand baggage as well as the main bags. I think we were 1 to 2 kg over and they let us off but a young lady in front of us had 28kg and she had to pay excess baggage. I also left my beaded jackets at home. You can get 10 chiffon tops in for one beaded jacket!! Shoes can be a problem but I bought a couple of pairs in Sydney. As you are flying back from the US you may well find the baggage allowance is doubled (not hand baggage). One of our cruise critic friends (met on the rollcall) brought an empty bag on board for us to fill with all our purchases, knowing that the allowance is greater from the US. We are so hooked on long cruises now that many of the Koalas 2007 have booked a 7 week cruise around South America in Jan 2009. Can't wait to meet up with them all again. Happy cruising.

Archived