31 Day Sapphire clothes and beauty questions

SissyG

Hi guys,

We are flying United from LA to Sydney...anyone know their luggage policies?

And since we are doing a pre-tour with Princess, I am assuming they will "hold" some luggage for us until we board the ship? Is this correct? They did it for us in Alaska, so we carried just one small suitcase for the land portion and had our two checked bags held until the cruise?

Thanks,

Bobbie

We are also on a United Flight to Sydney. I called them up and the weight limit is (unfortunately) 50lbs, I was hoping for 70lbs. No weight limit on the carry on.

Can't help you out with the "hold" for some luggage.

Stephanie

Hi Sandancer, as a fellow Brit and on the 2008 cruise, can you tell me if you travelled by Virgin via Hong Kong, if so, were they very strict with the 23kg and 6kg hand luggage. I am taking long skirts and trousers and plus as many tops that i can manage with the weight allowance, no beaded jackets etc, all too heavy, plus i am spending a week at the Marriott pre cruise, so i will be away almost 6 weeks , any things i cant pack -i will buy in Sydney, thanks again for your tips on cruise critic , regards , audrey :)
Audrey - Portsmouth by any chance?

hi sandancer, yes i do live in Portsmouth- for the last 7 yrs , but i have spent most of my life in Derbyshire. I hope you enjoy your next cruise. I am afraid this will be probably be my last cruise, i have done 11 cruises with Hal and 2 with RCL, plus many with P&O in the early 80s, but at 72yrs of age I am begining to feel the strain, plus its very expensive to be a solo traveller, I am not looking forward to the 22 hr flight, i shall have to content myself with 2 hr flights to Spain were my daughter and son in law live.

I have several chiffon tops with various coloured camisoles, plus light weight wraps, i wont be taking many sandals- most of them are Clarkes, i will wear my only pair of shoes to travel in. Did you need much in the way of warm clothes for Oz and NZ?, last time i was there it was February - (3yrs ago )and it was very warm , and in Fiji , i got very badly bit ( grandaughters wedding) and had to get a course of antibiotics when in Auckland, so i shall be shopping for all my needs in Sydney.

Many thanks for your quick reply, if you think of anything else i should know, please contact me, my email address is on Koala,s roll call, regards , audrey :)

Sissy, thanks for the helpful information. I need to try on these type of garments, so couldn't order online without checking sizes. After some exasperating shopping at three stores, I finally found one that fit me and bought it -- it's Flexees -- and I had a $20 coupon for Macy's so the price was right too. I'll give it a try and decide if I need to buy another or just do laundry after each wear, which I suspect will be on dressy occasions only -- don't intend to wear it with my shorts and T's.

Bill and I like to walk first thing in the mornings, tho' right now he's having a knee problem (an old soccer injury that's come back to haunt him) so we might not be "power" walking but rather more relaxed walking on this cruise.

Have you heard about United Airlines new policy for domestic travel -- only one checked baggage included in the fare, each extra checked piece will be $25.

It has been two years since we sailed with Princess and I cannot remember about the hair dryers. I know they are in the room near the desk/vanity. But are they like RCCL...you have to hold the button in the whole time you are using it? I did on RCCL and it is kind of a pain.

Chris

Chris, we were on the Dawn Princess in Dec and did not have to hold the button on the hair dryer. If you run into that problem, since you are a well prepared nurse, sometimes a bandaid over the button will hold it in and save your hand.

Deb

Thanks for info on hairdryers. A roll of tape is what I used to hold the button in before but I had to keep removing tape after each use.

Chris

Chris aka pedirn - try a small wide rubber band, might work better. Just roll it into place to hold the button down and roll it off when you're finished using the hair dryer. You'll be able to keep the rubber band on the handle of the hair dryer when not in use. This way it will be right there for the next time.

Take care, Lorraine:)

Sissy, thanks for the helpful information. I need to try on these type of garments, so couldn't order online without checking sizes. After some exasperating shopping at three stores, I finally found one that fit me and bought it -- it's Flexees -- and I had a $20 coupon for Macy's so the price was right too. I'll give it a try and decide if I need to buy another or just do laundry after each wear, which I suspect will be on dressy occasions only -- don't intend to wear it with my shorts and T's.

Bill and I like to walk first thing in the mornings, tho' right now he's having a knee problem (an old soccer injury that's come back to haunt him) so we might not be "power" walking but rather more relaxed walking on this cruise.

Have you heard about United Airlines new policy for domestic travel -- only one checked baggage included in the fare, each extra checked piece will be $25.

Nancy aka outahere - here are more details about the new policy change. (Our KOALAs flying home from LAX on a United flight or code share flights flown by United, may be effected by these changes. . If you purchased your own airline tickets before Feb. 4, 2008, you should be ok.. Not sure if you're using Princess Air. Don't know if you could use the date of your final payment on you invoice as the date you purchased you Airline tickets. You may want to check with Princes, if they have you using United Airlines or a code share flight flown by United..

AIRLINE INDUSTRY

2nd bag will start costing
 infrequent United fliers

The new $25 charge takes effect May 5

Associated Press

CHICAGO --

United Airlines will begin charging most economy passengers $25 to check in a second piece of luggage for domestic travel if they are not part of its most-frequent-flier programs, the airline said Monday. The charge will generate more than $100 million in revenue and cost savings each year, UAL Corp. said. The change takes effect May 5 and applies to tickets purchased on or after Monday.
   Travelers would have to be an elite-level frequent flier on United or a partner airline such as US Airways to ensure they can check their second bag for free.
   Airlines want to charge more for not only checked baggage but assigned seats and other services. Investors have urged airlines to pass on the higher costs of fuel to passengers through ticket-price increases or similar surcharges.
   United's customer research showed a quarter of its customers check a second bag, Chief Revenue Officer John Tague said in a statement. The new policy will allow customers with many bags to continue doing so for a fee and "enables us to offer competitive fares to everyone," Tague said.
   Customers who have "Premier" status or higher within United's Mileage Plus program, or "Silver" status or higher within its Star Alliance program still will be able to check in a second bag for free. The new charge applies only to those who purchase nonrefundable domestic economy tickets.
   After the first two checked bags, United will charge all customers $100 per bag for up to four additional bags.
   The cost to check items that require special handling because they are large, overweight or fragile will now be either $100 or $200, depending on the item.
   Policy could snare US Airways travelers
   United Airlines operates about a dozen of the more than 600 daily flights from Charlotte, with service to Chicago's O'Hare International Airport, Washington Dulles International Airport and Denver International Airport.
   United's new policy could affect some US Airways customers through the airlines' codeshare agreement, which allows the airlines to sell seats on each others' planes. A person who books travel on a United flight through US Airways is subject to United's baggage policies, said Phil Gee, a US Airways spokesman.
        Jefferson George     

Take care, Lorraine:)

Lorraine, Thanks for the suggestion of the rubber band. Sounds like it would do the trick. But I guess it won't be a problem on Princess but as we frequently cruise RCCL then I will remember it for the next time.

Chris

I am not a fan of the built in hairdryers. They feel clumsy to me because I am so used to my own. My dryer folds so it doesn't really take up a lot of room and I will definetly take it with me. Also if you have thick hair or long hair it will take forever for your hair to dry. I think the reason the built in dryer feels so clumsy is because instead of the hot air coming out of the end of the dryer, it comes out of the side of the dryer..think of a hairbrush..and the hot air comes from where the bristles would be, it just feels clumsy when trying to use a round brush and and the dryer at the same time.

The white body suit came today..will probably try the tea dip tomorrow to make it a little less white, more ivory hopefullly. Sissy

The white body suit came today..will probably try the tea dip tomorrow to make it a little less white, more ivory hopefullly. Sissy

Hi Sissy,

Please let me know how the "dye job" works out. I also purchased a white one and I usually never buy white (prefer nude or black). I hope it works!

Hugs

Anni

Hi all,

I have just popped in from the Dawn Down Under Cruise Sept 2008 and want to thank Sissy for starting this thread and to everyone for all the wonderful ideas.

I just love the idea of the Eagle Clark pack its and I am trying to find them in Oz otherwise will just order them from overseas. Our previous cruises have been short 7 to 10 day ones so packing has not been a real problem. But this time we will be on the road and at sea for around 11 weeks.

We head into the US on 11 Aug and will spend about 6 weeks travelling before embarking on the last cruise for the Dawn Princess, out of the US. It is great that Princess is leaving another ship to cruise Down Under as Australia really seems to be a huge growing market at the moment and this move obviously is in response to the market.

Usually we travel with friends but they are unable to do a cruise as long as ours and they are on the last cruise from Auckland before you sail on 14 April.

So far on our previous short cruises I have only needed to carry some travel sickness tablets in case of sea sickness. We did go through quite a cyclone on our March 2006 cruise and these seemed to do the job guite nicely. As I really do not like ginger, normally, I have not taken any ginger tables with me. Perhaps someone could enlighten me as to how much they taste like ginger?

For everyone who needs to purchase toiletries etc in Sydney you will have no problems at all. The info from "Aussielil" is great and you will not go wrong by following it.

Cheers

Robyn:)

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on Sissy's new thread, and I have a question for the audience. :rolleyes:

Which motion sickness medicine do you recommend? We have always used Scopolamine patches, but have never really experienced what could be called "rough" waters on any of our cruises. ;)

It took me a long time to get Pat interested in cruising and now that he is hooked, I don't want to take a chance on that changing! :)

~His longest sea travel before that had been 19 days below decks in an army transport to Vietnam, with a lot of very seasick soldiers! :(

TY!

Colleen

Colleen, I have used the patch for the last couple years and have experienced 40 ft plus seas on the QM2, riding the edges of Hurricane Wilma. They did a great job, only felt a little queasy when doing a behind the scenes tour of the theater at the front of the ship. As soon as I got back mid-ships I was fine. On this trip 1/3 of the crew and 1/2 the passengers were sick. Now, that said, I am going to try a Relief Band on this 31 day cruise. I don't like the side affects, dry mouth and dizziness on the patch. The relief band looks like a watch and sends small impulses that block the messages between the brain and the stomach. My 26 yr old daughter and I used this on a recent cruise and it worked great. We did not have to wear it all the time. Only when the ship was really a-rockin'. I ordered mine from drugstore.com. Hopes this helps.

Deb

Colleen, I have used the patch for the last couple years and have experienced 40 ft plus seas on the QM2, riding the edges of Hurricane Wilma. They did a great job, only felt a little queasy when doing a behind the scenes tour of the theater at the front of the ship. As soon as I got back mid-ships I was fine. On this trip 1/3 of the crew and 1/2 the passengers were sick. Now, that said, I am going to try a Relief Band on this 31 day cruise. I don't like the side affects, dry mouth and dizziness on the patch. The relief band looks like a watch and sends small impulses that block the messages between the brain and the stomach. My 26 yr old daughter and I used this on a recent cruise and it worked great. We did not have to wear it all the time. Only when the ship was really a-rockin'. I ordered mine from drugstore.com. Hopes this helps.

Deb

Deb,

Thanks so much for your input! That is great news about the patch! :)

I'll take a look at information about the 'relief band' as well!

I Love Cruise Critics!:):)

I just finished the tea dip and it turned out great. :D I used a small sink size plastic tub, filled it about half way with really hot water, at first I used 1 family sized bag and and the body suit and added tea bags until I was up to 3.

Left the body suit in for about 10 minutes and it turned a great ivory color, I would have preferred more of a nude shade but I could see that wasn't going to happen. Rinsed it well in cold water and rolled it in towel. It looks exactly the color of my ivory outfits. When I first took it out of the water I thought it hadn't done much, but compared to the white of the sink could see that it was a much better shade than the snow white it was before. Sissy

I just finished the tea dip and it turned out great. :D I used a small sink size plastic tub, filled it about half way with really hot water, at first I used 1 family sized bag and and the body suit and added tea bags until I was up to 3.

Left the body suit in for about 10 minutes and it turned a great ivory color, I would have preferred more of a nude shade but I could see that wasn't going to happen. Rinsed it well in cold water and rolled it in towel. It looks exactly the color of my ivory outfits. When I first took it out of the water I thought it hadn't done much, but compared to the white of the sink could see that it was a much better shade than the snow white it was before. Sissy

Oh Sissy,

Now I know what I'm going to do tomorrow when the storm hits here and I don't want to go anywhere. I do not have any family size tea bags---I will just use more regular size ones. Just think if I used green tea bags I would have a green body suit---Just kidding.

Thanks for the information. I bought mine at the Bali Outlet and also got a black one. I have a Waist Smoother and love it with things like Travelers. "No Muffin Tops". The Smoother is so easy to get in and out of when "necessary".

Hugs

Anni

I use Meclazine (bonine), have ridden out some very rough seas and it works fine. No dry mouth, no sleepiness. When it was only available with a script you would hear it called Antivert.

I am going to try to attach something so funny I could not pass it up..

A WOMAN'S WEEK AT THE GYM

If you read this without laughing out loud, there is

something wrong with you. This is dedicated to everyone who ever attempted to get into a regular workout routine.

Dear Diary,

For my birthday this year, my daughter (the dear)

purchased a week of personal training at the local health

club for me. Although I am still in great shape since being a high school

cheerleader 43 years ago, I decided it would be a good idea to go

ahead and give it a try.

I called the club and made my reservations with a personal

trainer named Brad, who identified himself as a 26-year-old aerobics

instructor and model for athletic clothing and swim wear.

My daughter seemed pleased with my enthusiasm to get started!

The club encouraged me to keep a diary to chart my progress.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

MONDAY:

Started my day at 6:00 a.m. Tough to get out of bed, but

found it was well worth it when I arrived at the health club to find Brad

waiting for me. He is something of a Greek god - with blond hair,

dancing eyes and a dazzling white smile. Woo Hoo!! Brad gave me a tour and

showed me the machines. I enjoyed watching the skillful way in which he

conducted his aerobics class after my workout today. Very inspiring!

Brad was encouraging as I did my sit-ups, although my gut was

already aching from holding it in the whole time he was around. This

is going to be a FANTASTIC week-!!

TUESDAY:

I drank a whole pot of coffee, but I finally made it out the

door.

Brad made me lie on my back and push a heavy iron bar into

the air then he put weights on it! My legs were a little! wobbly on the

treadmill, but I made the full mile. Brad's rewarding smile made it all

worthwhile. I feel GREAT-!! It's a whole new life for me.

WEDNESDAY:

The only way I can brush my teeth is by laying the toothbrush

on the counter and moving my mouth back and forth over it. I believe I

have a hernia in both pectorals. Driving was OK as long as I didn't

try to steer or stop. I parked on top of a GEO in the club parking lot.

Brad was impatient with me, insisting that my screams

bothered other club members. His voice is a little too perky for early in the

morning and when he scolds, he gets this nasally whine that is VERY

annoying. My chest hurt when I got on the treadmill, so Brad put me on the

stair monster. Why the hell would anyone invent a machine to simulate

an activity rendered obsolete by elevators? Brad told me it would help

me get in shape and enjoy life. He said some other crap too.

THURSDAY :

Brad was waiting for me with his vampire-like teeth exposed

as his thin, cruel lips were pulled back in a full snarl. I couldn't

help being a half an hour late, it took me that long to tie my shoes.

Brad took me to work out with dumbbells. When he was not

looking, I ran and hid in the restroom. He sent some skinny idiot to find

me.

Then, as punishment, he put me on the rowing machine -- which

I sank.

FRIDAY :

I hate that Brad more than any human being has ever hated any

other human being in the history of the world. Stupid, skinny, anemic,

anorexic little punk. If there was a part of my body I could move

without unbearable pain, I would beat him with it.

Brad wanted me to work on my triceps. I don't have any

triceps! And if you don't want dents in the floor, don't hand me the damn

barbells or anything that weighs more than a sandwich. The treadmill flung

me off and I landed on a health and nutrition teacher.

Why couldn't it have been someone softer, like the drama

coach or the choir director?

SATURDAY :

Brad left a message on my answering machine in his grating,

shrilly voice wondering why I did not show up today. Just hearing him

made me want to smash the machine with my planner. However, I lacked the

strength to even use the TV remote and ended up catching eleven

straight hours of the Weather Channel..

SUNDAY :

I'm having the Church van pick me up for services today so I

can go and thank GOD that this week is over. I will also pray that next

year my daughter (the little ****) will choose a gift for me that is

fun -- like a root canal or a hysterectomy. I still say if God had

wanted me to bend over, he would have sprinkled the floor with diamonds.

:eek:

That was so funny, and I know that feeling when it hurts just to open your eyelids...oh no, that's a hangover!

Anni, let me know how your tea dip comes out tomorrow. Mine body briefer is dry now and it is the exact same shade as my ivory slacks and sweater.

Sissy

That was so funny, and I know that feeling when it hurts just to open your eyelids...oh no, that's a hangover!

Anni, let me know how your tea dip comes out tomorrow. Mine body briefer is dry now and it is the exact same shade as my ivory slacks and sweater.

Sissy

I will let you know how it comes out.

Anni

Archived