31 Day Sapphire clothes and beauty questions

SissyG

Sissy,

You mentioned that you bought some Ginger Altoids. A few years ago I tried to buy them at a health food store and was told that they had been taken off the market by the FDA. I then just purchased ome Ginger Capsules.

What is the exact website for the Bali undeergarments.

Thanks.

Stephanie

I can find ginger Altoids in the checkout candy area at the grocery store, have been buying them for several years...maybe the health food store didn't carry them and wanted to sell you ginger capsules.

I bought the Bali lace body briefer at Macys. http://www.macys.com

then click lingerie and type in Bali lace body briefer in the search box.

Sissy

In answer to some questions...

Stores are opened seven days a week in Sydney, and have late night shopping on Thursdays. I will find out what times the major pharmacies and grocery stores store hoursare in the city. Yes, there are ginger snap biscuits but I can't guarantee all grocery stores will have them. Unfortunately I am unable to reply quickly as I can see this site at work, but can only reply when I get home. cheers

In reply to Cava Kate.

Grocery store hours 6am - midnight Mon - Fri, Sat/Sun 8am - 10pm.

Coles: Cnr King and George Street. Woolworths is cnr George and Park Sts and opened longer hours. Pls note that the grocery stores are 3/4 size in the city.

Priceline store which has a good assortment of makeup, hair products, tissues, all types of bathroom products etc are in Pitt Street Mall under Centrepoint. M-F 8.30 - 6.30pm, Sat/Sun 8.30 - 5pm.

Pharmacies: Soul Pattinson: Cnr King + George St, 8.30 - 6pm, Sat 9am-4pm,

Sun 11 - 4pm, Pitt St Mall store not opened Sunday.

Hope this helps. cheers

In reply to Cava Kate.

Coles: Cnr King and George Street. Woolworths is cnr George and Park Sts and opened longer hours. Pls note that the grocery stores are 3/4 size in the city.

Priceline store which has a good assortment of makeup, hair products, tissues, all types of bathroom products etc are in Pitt Street Mall under Centrepoint. M-F 8.30 - 6.30pm, Sat/Sun 8.30 - 5pm.

Hope this helps. cheers

Lilly

What a wonderful comprehensive reply, thank you!

I can see if we are suffering from serious jet lag we can always go shopping!!

Thanks again

Helen.

Thanks Lil, that will help a lot. We are staying at the Sydney Harbour Marriott so I will have to get a map and check out how to get to these stores.

Bought the white Bali body briefer last night...will deal with the see thru problem if it exists when it gets here. I ordered it from Bare Necessities got an email advertising $5 shipping and no tax and when I checked the body briefer was on sale, so made a huge difference in price from buying it at Macy's.

Canadiansnowbird...the powder touchup sounds like it will work, but don't forget that it is very humid in the South Pacific once we leave New Zealand. I would be afraid that it might run a little in the heat and humidity.

Sissy

Canadiansnowbird...the powder touchup sounds like it will work, but don't forget that it is very humid in the South Pacific once we leave New Zealand. I would be afraid that it might run a little in the heat and humidity.

Sissy

Hi SissY: This wasn't me... It was jrcooper (Jan) that posted about this product. Sorry, but I will stick to the beauty salon for the real thing. I would hate to go swimming and come out of the water with my "real" colour. :o

Snowbird

Thanks for all the shopping info. Another question.....what is a good national grocery chain store that will be in Caines as well as Sydney. We will be buying things for the motor home in Caines as well as for the apartment that we are renting neer the Quay in Sydney.

Jan: I too am very prone to sea sickness and always have to wear a patch. Last cruise I found the Relief band worked great without the side affects of the patch. I always have a stash of ginger items. If you have Cost Plus World Market in Texas they have a large assortment of ginger candy (chewy and hard). I also get crystallized ginger in the grocery store spice aisle or Marshall's (of all places) in larger candy size pieces of crystallized ginger. ...in case anyone else needs ginger ideas.

Deb

I think that my tilly hat was a wonderful investment. It has been to every continent except Antarctica!! You can roll it in a ball in your purse & it goes right back into shape. The way the ties are fixed, you can anchor it on your head when it is windy. There is a pouch inside the top for money etc. It is waterproof & lightweight. Since I bought mine, both my husband & daughter have purchased their own Tillys.

OK, I sound like a commercial but I am totally sold on my hat!!!

Nancy

I see that they have several Tilly styles, which did you get Nancy? I usually wear a large visor, I have not found a hat that I think looks good on me and obviously Robert feels the same because everytime I put one on he laughs and tells me that I look like a homeless person:( ...so I am just a little hesitant about buying them... I see other people with hats on and I think they look really cute and would love to find a flattering style. Nancy...scroll back a little to a post with questions to you about the Bali Body Brief...you can email me with the answer if you like..jerob@intellex.com

Thanks, Sissy

Sissy:

I agree about hats. I have tried on so many hats and Tony just says "No" to all of them.

I am resigned to just a ball cap so far. Dermatologist says "Cover the face" and I know I will need something while in the sun. I am planning on buying one in Sydney. I have looked at the Tilley's, but I think that I will probably lose it and that's too expensive!

Snowbird

I love this thread, Sissy, thanks for setting it up. I've been gone for a while and tho' I've been reading the threads, I haven't taken time to post.

I need to check out the Bali garment at Macy's -- do you think it compares to the Spanx products? Two friends in Tampa swear by Spanx and I've been anxious to check it out.

One recommendation I have is to buy "After Bite" which is a pen-like stick to apply after insect bites. I found mine at Bed Bath & Beyond, but have also seen it on sale at Walgreens and Longs Drug stores. It definitely works and I wouldn't take a trip without it. When we lived in Melbourne (back in the dark ages of 1964-67) the mosquitos were like vampires... and I'm sure with all of the island visits we will be making, there will be insects abound.

In reply to az.kuehn

Grocery stores in Cairns - there is a shopping mall in town next to the railway station where you should be able to get everything. Groceries next to the Quay in Sydney, the nearest is Coles Wynyard station, there is also small one off Bridge Street under AMP building. Remember the large grocery stores are out of town in the suburbs.

I have 2 pair of spanx...they are the waist to above the knee style and I love them. The Bali lace body briefer is a bodysuit with an underwire bra. This is a lightweight stretch lace body suit and gives some body control with a really good bra in it. The body suit will smooth out all the things I don't want showing when I wear clothes that are fitted in the midriff and I need to fool the eye. I think that spanx are wonderful for a smooth look under traveler pants. I found the body suit on sale with $5.00 shipping at http://www.barenecessities.com

Bought the first one at Macy's full price and twice that for shipping so saved a lot at Bare Necessities. Sissy

In reply to Cava Kate.

Hope this helps. cheers

Thanks for the great info.

Do they carry brand name products like Clinique, Neutrogena and Olay?

Judi

Sissy, I'm not sure of the name of the style of the hat. I think that it looks a bit like an African bush hat. Ed's can be snapped up & looks very Aussie. Also, about that other question.... the lining is thin (like in the black ones). If you have something sheer on, it can be a problem. I use these round white cotton pads to clean my face. I also put one in each cup ( clean ones, not the ones I have used to clean my face, of course!!) Wouldn't my mother be horrified if I had to be taken to the hospital. My underwear would be clean, but they would find face pads in my bra!!!!

Snowbird, I was worried about losing the hat too. There is a place for ID inside and if you lose it & it is not returned, the company will replace it at 1/2 price.

Nancy

Thanks Nancy for the helpful info, I use the same little flat white pads to remove my eye makeup..who knew they would become multi-taskers! Some one else told me that they actually make little silicone thingies for just that purpose..Now that is something that would have horrified my Mother! :eek: The hat replacement policy is great, but I would have to try one on before I would order it. I have short hair and I haven't found one that looks good on me yet. Sissy

hi there,

Cairns: there is a Woolworths grocery store and I believe a Coles in a shopping mall in this town. Very walkable town.

Tilley hat: many styles are available but I would recommend you find a store & try them on as in one style you might wear a size, differerent style, different size. Hubby and I have 2 Tilley hats each, different styles etc.

For our OZ trip last year, I had the wider brim Tilley to protect the face. It has a bit of a mesh in the top section. This hat is cooler than my original Tilley (standard style)

Visor: if you get a visor, try to get an adjustable one (ie velcro closing) rather than the clip on visors, which can get painful with the 'clamp' that they use.

Green Island: if anyone goes there while staying in Cairns, there is a stall/store at the resort that sells a fantastic visor for about 15 AUD; I regret not buying one while there--wide brim, comfy closure!

hope this info helps!

aboriginal art: try Paddy's Market Sydney; prices are much less than in the stores! Worth buying, bringing home (weighs so little), then framing for your wall. Looks great! (I am talking about the fabric art ie art painted on fabric):)

I can find ginger Altoids in the checkout candy area at the grocery store, have been buying them for several years...maybe the health food store didn't carry them and wanted to sell you ginger capsules.

Sissy

Sissy:

Looked in Florida in four different store and not one Ginger Altoids; Spoke to the girl in one store and she said that they used to sell Chocolate covered Ginger Altoids two years ago, but havedn't seen one since. They did have Chocolate covered Cinnamon only.

If you see any, buy a couple for me and I'll see you in Sydney at the dinner. I will keep looking, but these were large stores that I did check out.

Snowbird

Sissy:

Looked in Florida in four different store and not one Ginger Altoids; Spoke to the girl in one store and she said that they used to sell Chocolate covered Ginger Altoids two years ago, but havedn't seen one since. They did have Chocolate covered Cinnamon only.

If you see any, buy a couple for me and I'll see you in Sydney at the dinner. I will keep looking, but these were large stores that I did check out.

Snowbird

I too have been looking for the Ginger Altoids this week as Sissy suggested, but no luck. I have gone to several stores and did find a wide variety of flavors, but not Ginger.

Stephanie

I too have been looking for the Ginger Altoids this week as Sissy suggested, but no luck. I have gone to several stores and did find a wide variety of flavors, but not Ginger.

Stephanie

Stephanie and all - here's a link for Ginger Altoids: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=blended&field-keywords=ginger altoids&results-process=default&dispatch=search/ref=pd_sl_aw_tops-1_blended_13094761_2&results-process=default

There were many other websites listed, just search on Ginger Altoids.

Good luck buying them. Take care, Lorraine:)

I thought some of you might be interested in this post on the Australian Board - I think the thread is named "Medications in Australia" I guess maybe you can bring candy, but must declare it?

"definitely take your scripts and at least the label part of the box they came in (with each type of pill kept separately) I always carry ours with a rubber band around each ..box label, and matching script and pill packet..then they can check them individually if they want to...

As for food. ..anything that goes in your mouth MUST be declared..or thrown away before customs..they have bins for this...do not think you can even sneak a bag of lollies in your suitcase..I once saw them abuse a mother because she had ticked "no food" on her daughters incoming card...and the kid had a bag of lollies...

same goes for plantlife...NOT ALLOWED..the same night they abused a Hawaiian Air Stewardess for still having her orchid in her hair!!

Aussie customs officers are very alert."

Archived