31 Day Sapphire clothes and beauty questions

SissyG

When we were on the Sappire last trans Pacific, that night was casual, funky and tropical, they held it under the stars on the deck overlooking the wake and it was a warm balmy night with lots of music and fun and a terrific buffet afterwards in the Horizon Court. Sissy

Got my little pink Heys carry-on today...thanks for that tip Sissy. I can not put things out in the guest room until after 3/29. Our kids will be here for Easter and we need both empty bedrooms for them. I do have a collection of small items in the dresser in one of the rooms. We will be shopping for everything we need in mid March. Just found out I have to go to Nashville for 4 days the week before Easter. We will return from there on the 20th of March, the kids arrive Easter weekend and leave the following weekend. I better have everything done prior to the 16th of March.....

Donna

Does the Sapphire give you free robes for the voyage like the other Princess ships??? Just wanted to check before I scratch a robe off of my list of things to bring!

I read something about a South Pacific night or something like that. Is it VERY dressy??

Thanks!

Karen

Hi Karen,

Yes, robes are provided.

The island night is fun. The party is quite casual, the time to get out your hawaiian shirts. They were also giving away lei's to everyone to get into the party spirit.

Linda

Sissy: Did you get some of the fun OPI Australia collection? They had a fun 4 pk last summer with colors like: Suzi loves Sydney, Koala Bear-y, Red Hot Ayers Rock, Didgeridoo Your Nails? and Don't Melbourne the Toast. I also have Not so Bora Boring for the islands. I'll be getting my nails done on the ship too. Be glad to share a color if you need one. Seems like we have a lot in common. We dress our husbands is Hawaiian prints and I too have an obsession with ginger. I have the Origins Ginger spray, bath goodies and absolutely love anything ginger flavored. We solved the problem of the white dinner jacket, just bought Tom on last spring and I manage to squeeze it in the luggage cause I love the way he looks in it. Lucky for us we were able to upgrade our United flights to business class so we have the 70# weight limit. Sure going to need it for this cruise.

Karen: Bring those capris for dinner. I think you'll find in the islands that dress on the ship will be a bit more casual. We did the Tahitian Princess a couple years ago and I felt very comfortable in nice capris in the dining room.

Deb

I've got the Not So Bora Boring Pink nail polish ready to go too. It's one of my favorites - I'm on my second bottle. I will check out the Australian colors too.

We have the 70 lb. weight going over in United Business Class too, but 50 lb. on the way back on Delta. I think we're going to mail shoes and all the cool weather stuff home from Honolulu.

Got my little pink Heys carry-on today...thanks for that tip Sissy. I can not put things out in the guest room until after 3/29. Our kids will be here for Easter and we need both empty bedrooms for them. I do have a collection of small items in the dresser in one of the rooms. We will be shopping for everything we need in mid March. Just found out I have to go to Nashville for 4 days the week before Easter. We will return from there on the 20th of March, the kids arrive Easter weekend and leave the following weekend. I better have everything done prior to the 16th of March.....

Donna

Ah...the Ides of March;>)

Suzy

Deb seems we do have a lot in common, I have Suzi loves Sydney and made a point of wearing Not so Bora Boring Pink last time I was in Bora Bora and will take it again..bought Argentiny Bikini yesterday a really pretty rosy shimmer, I am a huge collector of OPI, I love their names don't you? Also in common, for several years we lived in San Diego County in Escondido.

Deb what I wished we had in common is the 70 pound checked bag weight limit..I am restricted to 50 pounds each on Qantas.

I'm not having an easy time losing the 10 pounds I want to lose before this cruise, it just does not seem to come off like it did when I was younger and to make it worse it has shifted to places that make it harder to hide. Well it is what it is and I am what I am.

About capris or cropped pants, I think there is a ton of difference in knock around daytime ones and the cropped pants or capris you would want to match with a nice top to wear for dinner..I love them and have several that I will bring. Last year I bought a pair of Travelors black cropped pants that you can wear either tied below the knee or loose, I love them and will wear them several times with different tops at night, I hope that Chicos will have this years cropped travelors in the stores before I leave so I can get another pair. Sissy

Sissy - I am curious!!! As I have mentioned before I am originally from Southern CA and moved to this ridiculous snowbelt because I married someone from here.

How did you end up in Cookson, Oklahoma from San Diego??? Just Curious

I haven't been posting a lot but looking in quite a bit. I have decided that I can't do much about my sister being in the coma - so have turned that problem over to God and getting on with my life. I'll be posting more and planning more and not just standing outside looking in.

Charlene

Charlene, I was thinking about the trauma you are dealing with and wanted to ask about your sister the other day but just didn't have the right words..I am glad you have come to this decision as difficult and painful as it must be, you are right it is something you have no control over.

Sometimes I ask myself the same question..How did I end up here?? We loved living in Escondido when my dad lived nearby in Rancho Bernardo, then he passed away and our youngest daughter graduated from high school and moved away to UCLA, at the same time my husband was working out of town. We decided to move to Orange County more exactly Trabuco Canyon, closer to my Mom and closer to where Holly was in school. After Robert retired we decided we wanted to move here where he was born and his mother and several sibs lived. My wonderful mother in law Maggie lived for several years after that and passed away at 98, he loved being able to see her almost daily..we have never lived anywhere very long, but have been here over ten years. AT first I was not sure if I could stay here but we really think it is the best place for us to live at this time in our life....but I am always open to change in my life, who knows if we will stay here forever. Sissy

We are native Southern Californians ( Huntington Beach) who also left. We are now on the Eastern Shore of Maryland on the Wye River (wyeanni). We moved out here 19 years ago so Jeff could do a job for NASA. Making a long story short we ended up retiring out here, since one of our sons also moved out here with his family and the other son and his family are in Flagstaff,Arizona. We make lots of trips to Arizona and they come out here for 2 Week in the summer.

We love it where we are, and do not plans to ever go back except for an occasional visit to old friends.

Hugs

Anni

Anni.

Robert and I lived in Huntington Beach for many years, the very first house we bought was between Springdale and Edwards and Westminster Blvd and Bolsa, then later we moved down near the beach by Beach and Adams. Like I said we have moved alot. Sissy

Sissy: Looks like you left CA just about the time we left Nebraska for San Diego. Our youngest daughter wanted to go to USD and Tom's company headquarters was here so it was a "no-brainer". Now she's working in Las Vegas (she's a dophin trainer at the Mirage), the oldest is in Salt Lake City and only one left up in Vista. We don't think we'll retire here, Tom is a couple years away, but haven't figured out where to next. We've moved around a bit too, usually every 6-10 yrs. NY-CA-NY-AZ-NE-CA. Tom was a government contractor for yrs so even tho' we didn't move as often as the military it was often enough. Like Anni said, too many cars, people and high prices. Not ready to go back to snow though. It snowed in Julian yesterday and I can see it on the mountains from my upstairs rooms. That's close enough for me!

Hey, another question came to mind. Are you all taking fall clothes colors for the first part of the trip or just whatever? I know in the islands its always pretty much anything goes, but since it will be fall in Australia and then spring as we get home it's hard to decide what colors will be good. Anyone else struggling with this?

Deb

I have to admit that I thought I would never leave Southern CA but after my first husband died (I was 49 that time) I met Sam about five years later. He couldn't move west since he owned two funeral homes here in PA. For the longest time, I kept telling him to go away I wasn't interested in another relationship - I just didn't think I could do it again after bring married 28 years. Anyway he finally wore down my resisitance (I honestly didn't fight TOO hard) and I moved here.

I go back to Southern CA at least 6 to 7 times a year since I have two sons and grandkids there. My daughter followed me here. As a matter of fact, she just called me from Disneyland - she is visiting her brothers this week and can't wait to get home to the "country" - we both love it here. Slower pace of life, not anywhere near the traffic - horrible weather. I love going back for a visit but move back -- not happening. Isn't it strange the twists and turns our lives take?

Charlene

Where are you in Pa? We are in Queenstown Md. I agree with you we never know where life will take us. I did not realized how beautiful the east coast was till we moved here. I'm like your daughter, I like the country too. The Eastern Shore ( Delmarva) is very country.

Gugs

Anni

It hasn't been mentioned but it has to be faced ladies, we are going to have to bring bathing suits with us! I know most of us hate it but it has to be, you can't be on a 31 day South Seas cruise without wearing a bathing suit. What style and brand do you like and how many are you bringing with you? What do you like to wear as a coverup?

I plan to bring 3 with me. Mine are all one piece suits, my 2 pc bikini style days are a thing of the past. I like Carol Wior suits because they have a really good underwire bra in them and I found an online outlet a few months back and was able to pick up 2 for less than I would pay in a department store for one. I knew what size I wore in her suits so took a chance and ordered online, that was a first for me, it usually takes me several trips to the mall to find one that I like or I am satisfied with the fit. One is a bandeau style so no strap marks and one is a halter. My older one is a criss cross wrap style but I really like the print on it and it has a matching sarong. I am bringing 2 pareos and a few oversized tee shirts too. I always bring a long Tshirt type dress too.

Fall clothes, well not really, but I am wearing an Adidas jacket and pants on the plane and will take jeans T's and a jacket and probably a pair of crop pants as choices for Sydney..will pack the top of one of my big suitcases with all the clothes I think I might need during the day there and something for the cocktail and dinner party too. The worst part is trying to get Robert to figure out what he wants to wear in Sydney and pack it so it is easily reached on top of the suitcase..he is so bad at figuring out what goes with what. Sissy

I will take 2-3 bathing suits. One is a 2 piece with a shorts like bottom and the other 2 are one piece. I have a black, lace like but not really lace, short

(above the knee by a few inches) A Line cover up. One of the suits has a skirt that matches the suit.

I will be taking some very light weight jeans for Sydney and the cooler places. I will pack so we only have to open 1 suitcase in Sydney. I plan on layering for the cooler places. with T's, sweater and lightweight jacket. Then on to the warmer places Happy Day! Its much easier to plan for them. I have not thought about the cocktail party. I guess I should. It will probably be pants and a nice top/jacket. I'm sure you will see it all again on the cruise::rolleyes:

Hugs

Anni

Okay...bathing suits. That opens up a whole can of worms here. I have the hardest time trying to find one. So far I plan on bringing two. But I just found a sale and might treat myself to another one or two. It is the Shapefx selection at Newport News. Have never ordered a bathing suit from them before but they have a few that I thought were cute and the price was right. Last suit I bought cost $120 which makes it the most expensive suit I have ever brought. But I will say it lasted all year and still looks good. I go through a lot of suits here as we spend most of the summer in the pool and winter is spent in the hot tub.

I too am bringing my trusty jeans. I will also be layering with long sleeve shirts and sweaters. Looking at our pictures I did wear my heavy jacket (which I decided not to bring this time) in Hobart and cruising the Fjordlands.

I was at the mall on Wed and it was the most depressing day. Couldn't find anything. It seems like everything looks like my old maternity tops. Add that look to my "stress roll" I have in the middle and it was not a pretty picture. I really like more of a tunic length top and they are hard to find now. Also cannot find a black evening skirt. I did find a gauzey type skirt but I want something a little heavier. Oh well next week plan on hitting Stienmart and Marshalls. Maybe will find something there.

Chris

Okay, I will 'weigh in' on this topic! I will probably bring 3 with me, all the tankini style. When the tankini's first came out, I thought they were too skimpy, but they finally started making them for the over 30 (over 50?) set. They are the only ones I will wear now, since I mostly wear them for snorkelling excursions. I don't like using the heads on snorkel boats or elsewhere, but even less so with a one piece suit:eek: .

I haven't gotten serious about packing yet, and we leave in just over 2 weeks. Yikes, I am reading all the postings, and hoping to be inspired soon to figure out what to take.

Cheers,

Steph

In reply to JR Cooper - Yes, there are Target and Kmart stores in the suburbs.

Closest to the city is Broadway - take a 10 minute bus ride from George Street or at Bondi Junction via the train from Town Hall station in the middle of the city.

cheers Lilly

Didn't you say you have found an Aveeda salon in Sydney where you will buy your hair products? I know you are arriving early in the week before we do so if you go to the salon can you find out if they are open on Mondays? I am thinking of having my hair done early that morning before we board so I don't have to mess with it myself. Is the Aveeda salon near the Marriott? It might be more convenient for me to buy my hair products there than trying to find a beauty supply or drug store that has what I need.

I can't believe that you are not at least partially packed. You need to get going girl!

Sissy

Sissy

Can I still post? I haven't even started thinking about packing much less being partilly packed. I can't seem to get to that point. I know someone build a fire under me.

Anni - we live in NW Pa between Buffalo and Cleveland - right on a lovely ridge that gets more snowfall than one could possibly imagine. Just came back from Lancaster/Harrisburg - Sam had a meeting there since he retired he "volunteered" to by on the legislative committe for the PA Funeral Directors. Anyway we got stuck down there early in the week because of the horrific weather.

Is there anyone else who isn't thinking about packing yet? I am out here in the cold (literally) by myself?

Charlene

Hi Sissy

Yes, I have located at least 2 salons in Sydney, and will check them out on arrival. Will let you know what I find out, and maybe even be able to make an apppointment for you. Will keep in touch either on the board, or via e-mail.

Hey Charlene

I am with you about packing...but I hope to get inspired during the week before we leave. The two things I don't like about travel and cruising are packing and flying to the port of embarkation.

Cheers,

Steph

Charlene.

I haven't given too much thought or effort to packing yet. We have been purchasing small items, but for clothing it will be late March, either just before or just after I am in Nashville. If I don't have it with me and I need it that bad, I guess I will buy it!!! That theory has always worked, but then we have never done a trip this long. I do plan to go to Steinmart this weekend and we will head to the Vero Outlets in early March. I can usually get all I need in one trip there.

Oh please, can the election season please be over!!!!!

Donna

Archived