31 Day Sapphire clothes and beauty questions

SissyG

hi, I absolutely love this seperate fashion etc discussion , but as a Brit, can you explain some of the terms used, Earth shoes,Tevas and travelors, also what is so Special about Chicos, lots of you mention that firm, i know that panty hose are what we Brits call tights - i have not worn them for years, i have several makes of the slimming pants [ similar to spanx] , keep trying them , but dont find any of them comfortable with my jodphur thighs:D as for a swimming costumes - i usually wear a pair of shorts over them -to try and disguise the fact.

The older i get - i am now 72yrs- the weight just doesnt move so easily- if i take off 20 lbs - i will still be small [5ft] and over weight, but as long as i can get through the 23hr flight and cope with only being able to take 1 suitcase - 50lbs, I still wake up and feel excited about what lies ahead, i do aerobics from a fitness dvd, not as much walking as i should, but its my feet that causes the most problems, i ve realised that i have slowed down a lot - the mind is willing- but the body is not in full working order:p , anyway its so cheering to read all the lovely emails , it makes up for our lousy wet weather:) . Many thanks Sissy for starting this roll call, it will be lovely to all meet up in Sydney, take care, audrey.:)

I have about 7 medium Eagle Creek wraps and two large ones. The large ones I use for DH pants & shirts. Also have the two side cubes which I love; I put all the undies rolled up in that one. You can see through the net and get out what you need if you are not unpacking like we are (3 days in Sydney). We will open the bags and not unpack. Normally I pack all my clothes in the red ones and DH has black ones (wraps), but this time I will pack some of each of our clothes in each of our duffle bags. I am afraid of having the bags lost. :eek:

Also for coffee, I have bought a coffee press and plan to order from room service just hot water and will buy good course ground coffee in Sydney. Also have a list of all the toiletries to buy in Sydney to save weight.

Snowbird

We don't walk 5/days a week. We do 3 tops with the longest on the weekends. Yesterday we walked 8 miles and it was tough. Saturday 4....much easier. Doesn't seem to help in the weight department but it does feel good.

Yeah Patriots!

Thanks for the info on the Eagle Creek Bags.......about what do they run, cost wise?If I do find them what is a good # to buy of each size?

We bought ours at Amazon, and Samsonite over a 6 month period of time. Most luggage stores have them and also lots of internet places. They seem to be fairly fair traded ( no bargains) unless some are on sale and they seldom are. If they are closing out a color you might find some on sale. Google "Pack It Cubes" and you will find lots of information. The 14"x10"x3" is the one we use the most with a couple larger for Jeff's pants and shirts and a couple smaller for Chico's tanks etc. They hold more than you think they will so you have to watch the weight thing. As to the number you will need you just have to do a bit of experimenting. Most of the local sporting,camping stores have them also. I do not roll the clothing but fold it,except for rolling some travelers in the corners.

We started by each getting a set of these and then filled in with others.

http://www.amazon.com/eBags-Packing-Cubes-3pc-Set/dp/B00007AP6V

Tevas are rubber soled sandals with fabric straps that are perfect for wearing as water shoes or regular sandals...mine have a good arch support and are very comfortable. Earth shoes are a brand of shoe that is made with a negative heel, meaning the heel pad is lower than the front of the shoe. Like Birkies they were widely worn by the hippie generation during the 60's but the styles then were really ugly. They kind of resemble Birkenstocks but with much cuter styles now.

Chicos are stores that carry moderately priced clothes for women... they are fashionable but not trendy and suitable for women that may be forty and over. Travelors are a line of clothes that Chicos has come up with that are figure and travel friendly..they are slinky knits that pack well and are designed around color groups with coordinates and accessories to match. They send out monthly catalogs and each month new groups are in the stores. You can take a look at

http://www.chicos.com

I hope this helps..:D

Sissy

Nancy, Macy's online still carries the Bali Body Briefer. I have two sheer black tops and needed something pretty to wear under them..the description said that the lace in the bra was lined so thought it would work. I see they used to come in Taupe but has been discontinued..sure could use one in taupe..I went thru all my body suits and a my nude one has developed yukkky elastic :( so have to find one. Sissy

Thanks for all of the info on the Eagle Creek and other "packing cubes." I will look into getting some of them.

I also bring my own travel coffee-pot. It is the one-cup kind that drips directly into the thermal cup. I really like it! I think I may have a problem this time because I am addicted to the International Coffee's French Vanilla small, individual creamer containers, and I don't know how I am going to pack enough to last me for a month!!:confused: I wonder if they sell those in Sydney?

Jan

Helen

The hair dryer is in the cabin on the vanity/desk combo. It will work well for you.

All this talk of packing is making me nervous - we are leaving home on March 24 to go to California for my grandson's 2nd birthday, leaving there on April 1st to go to Port Douglas for a week and then five days in Sydney - pre-cruise. I'm either going to be arriving at the ship will all clean clothes or a ton of dirty ones. Oh well, I'll work it out.

Since I always over pack and like lots of others take a lot of "stuff" just

in case I am sure we will be at the max weight wise.

I have to haul out our summer things this week as we leave next week for Puerto Rico.

Charlene

I thought it would be helpful - at least for me - to know what I am looking at in terms of different temperatures. I found this information on the Princess site:

Average temps

Sydney - 65 to 78 F

Melbourne - 60 to 68 F

Holbart - 55 to 63 F

Dundein - 52 to 58 F

Auckland 61 - 66 F

Fiji - 78 t0 84F

Pago Pago - only indicates average temp 81

Cook Islands - average temp 78

Bora Bora - average temp 80

From then on it is should be warm all the way until we hit the upper Baja Coast - May is generally cool in California - unless it has changed in the six years since I moved East.

So I am thinking basically "spring" and "summer" stuff. Looks like layers will work best in some ports. Didn't get to use my rain gear in Italy last fall but I have it on hand.

Charlene

I know exactly what you mean about the road trip and cruise luggage. When we did this trip in reverse in 2004 we drove from OK to CA and stayed with our daughter in Palos Verdes for a week before the ship left San Pedro..we had road trip clothes, staying at Holly clothes and our cruise clothes...we left our road trip clothes and staying at Holly clothes at her house as we were also returning there after the cruise to spend a few weeks over Christmas and New Years before driving home again....you should have seen us trying to unpack, pack, repack getting ready to leave on the cruise. It was comical.

This trip we are flying from OK to LA and then to Sydney the same day and not spending time with our daughter before the cruise...but will stay for a week when we return to San Pedro..we think at the end of the cruise we will try to put enough for the two of us in one suitcase to make things a little easier that week we stay with them. She laughs at me because she is a minimalist packer and much to my amazement she packs at the last minute and never seems to forget anything.

Sissy

I'll be joining the Capri bunch as I live in them during spring and summer. I also have several pants that convert to shorts that I brought to China, so they will work too!We are doing the Princess CruiseTour so we will have six days on land before we start the cruise, and I'm hoping Princess does the same thing Holland did when we did this in Alaska. They kepy our "cruise clothes" suitcases for us while we did the land part and they went on board for us when we started our cruise. Does anyone know?

Still haven't gotten our plane reservations from Princess and I don't know what the weight restrictions are...can anyone help? How many suitcases and carryons and how much weight?

Thanks....

Okay now I have looked at the Spanx and Bali and some other brand of shaper/slimmers. But cannot find one that comes in a long torso. The ones I tried were too short through the torso length. Is there anyone that is a little on the tall side like myself that could recommend a brand that carries long torsos or runs on the long side.

Thanks Chris

You don't mention how tall you are so I will give you want I ordered & you can go from there. I am 5'6" & weigh 160-163# (depends on day of week)

& I bought the size Medium Slim Cognito Seamless Mid Thigh Body Suit. It doesn't seem like it is too short. It goes from just under the bottom of the bra & then down to my mid thigh area. It comes with straps that you can hook to your bra, if desired, but I did not use these yet. It seemed to stay where it should without curling up & coming down. I will take the straps with me just in case that happens while on the cruise.

Hope this helps in making your decision. Also, the cost was $68 + shpg.

Donna

I am definetly bringing a jacket, scarf and gloves because my friend Jeannie who did the Diamond transpacific told me she was never as cold as when they cruised in the Fjords in New Zealand and I hate being cold. I had already planned to bring a pair of jeans for Sydney and an Adidas sportset with a jacket that I can wear with a long sleeve top..I know how I am..I will keep adding this and that to my suitcase until I have the weight limit.

I have a hair appointment this morning..I think I have come to my senses and have realized that I would be miserable with a perm if it did not look exactly the way I wanted it to, especially with such an important cruise coming up..and you know with perms you never know what you are going to wind up with, even with all the assurance from my hairdresser that perms are not what they used to be and she is positive I will love it...so I am having my cut into a short bob..shorter in the back than on the sides..I want something that is cute, easy and looks good...now ladies, I ask you is that too much to ask for?

I can't stop looking at or buying clothes for this trip..just when I think I have every possible thing I need I see or think of something else...now I need to find a pair of Adidas mesh crop pants and a tops to wear when we walk in the mornings.

Have to run, Sissy

Nancy and Donna, thanks for that info. I am closer to Donna's height. I think I just need to give up trying to buy online and go to mall where I can try them on. I was trying to keep myself out of the mall. As I previously stated I don't want to buy clothes until I loose a few more pounds. Well I had good intentions but bought a new dress this past weekend. Bealls was having senior day and with the previous markdown, I couldn't pass it up.

Sissy, yes the fordes were cool so I would plan on what you need to keep warm. I will definately be bringing jeans as they are my staple. I am not planning on bringing capris...don't own any. Just don't care for the look on me. I think you will like your haircut...it sounds very similiar to what I have. My instructions to my hairdresser was low maintenance as I get up about 5:30 AM for work.

Chris

I am definetly bringing a jacket, scarf and gloves because my friend Jeannie who did the Diamond transpacific told me she was never as cold as when they cruised in the Fjords in New Zealand and I hate being cold. I had already planned to bring a pair of jeans for Sydney and an Adidas sportset with a jacket that I can wear with a long sleeve top..I know how I am..I will keep adding this and that to my suitcase until I have the weight limit.

I have a hair appointment this morning..I think I have come to my senses and have realized that I would be miserable with a perm if it did not look exactly the way I wanted it to, especially with such an important cruise coming up..and you know with perms you never know what you are going to wind up with, even with all the assurance from my hairdresser that perms are not what they used to be and she is positive I will love it...so I am having my cut into a short bob..shorter in the back than on the sides..I want something that is cute, easy and looks good...now ladies, I ask you is that too much to ask for?

I can't stop looking at or buying clothes for this trip..just when I think I have every possible thing I need I see or think of something else...now I need to find a pair of Adidas mesh crop pants and a tops to wear when we walk in the mornings.

Have to run, Sissy

Hi girls

my first post here - I'm embarrassed to say how few shoes I travel with. One pair of black strappy sandals with a low heel, smart enough for formal nights, but very easy to wear on board, sandals /canvas deck shoes/ water shoes/ and black closed shoes I will travel in. Mick is the same height as me, so I have never worn very high heels, and these days comfort is no 1 priority.

We were on the transpacific with Jeannie, departed in April also. Sydney was quite warm, I recall Hobart, Dunedin and cruising the Fjords as the coldest as the coldest days. Dressing in layers is the way to go, at least bring a warm jacket.

As it's autumn (fall) in Australia and New Zealand the weather can vary greatly at that time of year.

Audrey (Pompey86) - I just read your post about dress for the pre-cruise "cocktail party" . I think cocktails is one of the many words that has slightly different meanings in the UK / USA / Australia.

Basically, we are meeting for pre-dinner drinks, so wear whatever you would be comfortable in, for drinks and dinner. As I recall before the Diamond cruise, people were 'smart casual', but no-one was in formal wear. I'm sure many of us won't completely unpack in Sydney, that last thing we want to do the night before the cruise.

We did fine last year with 28 days transatlantic / med cruise with the 20 kg limit for our return to Australia. We had planned to fly Easyjet Milan - London, so I was very strict with starting off light and not buying much along the way.

Hilary:)

Its taken forever to catch up with all you gals. I've been at the hospital and rehab facility 12 hrs a day since my mom had knee replacement surgery on Jan. 9th. I entertained myself when she was sleeping by making a spread sheet on Formal, resort and day clothes with shoes, accessories, 2nd way to wear and new items needed. Boy do I need a life! I'm right there with the better-have-it, because somebody-is-gonna-need-it group. And try as I might I can't get away with less than 15-16 pr of shoes/sandals.

Sissy, this was a great idea. I was trying to figure out if I was going to have to find a nail shop in Fiji or something. So glad you all got the hair and nails info for the rest of us.

I'm also of the jumbo ziploc packing style, but I must say you have me intrigued with the Eagle Creek cubes. Gotta check them out.

Need to replace one suitcase that got damaged on the last cruise. You'll find me dragging pcs of luggage thru the store until I find the scales dept. Gotta find the lightest weight one so I can max it out with shoes!

Looking forward to the final packing plans with you all and count me in with the walking crowd. I've been with WW online off and on for forever it seems.

Deb

Sissy, many thanks for the explanations , the sandals sound as if they would be my type, most of my sandals are made by Clarkes, i can only wear wedge heels- need the support- i have dodgy ankles!!.

Hilary, I didnt realize that a cocktail party was anything but formal- much more relaxed it seems, thanks. As i leave the UK on the 5th and will be spending 7 nights at the Marriott,so i will most likely be unpacking everything.

Lorraine, that Baby boomer email was very funny, also thankyou very much for the huge amount of work you have put in to this roll call, its much appreciated. I hope Tom had a good birthday. take care,audrey.:)

Hi TG Barbie

I saw on the main roll call that you posted a possible tour out of Papeete with Captain Heifara. Sissy, I know you will back me up when I say that this is a lovely tour, if only to view the lovely captain (okay and his wife too!). We did this tour (with Sissy and Robert) on the Sapphire transpacific, in November 2004, and I can say it was a treat for the eyes. I am not sure we want to do it again, but I can highly recommend it to the ladies! Sissy, I can see you smiling!

Cheers,

Steph

Sissy: a while back you posted on our roll call that you found a website that had Hawaiian vests and ties. My husbands travel wardrobe consists of many Hawaiian shirts. It would be fun to add a touch to his formal wear as well. Would you mind posting the site? Thanks.

Deb

TGBarbie, the site is http://www.justmauied.com then scroll down to cummerbunds, bowties and vests.

they are located in Maui but delivery was quick and the cummerbund and bowtie are made very nicely. I called and spoke to order instead of doing it online as I wanted more info on the true colors of the fabrics and found them to be very helpful.

Oh my,my,my that Capt. Heifera is pure polynesian eye candy we were all like girls with a school yard crush..and Steph you were so right I was smiling the whole time while reading the post. Barbie, if at all possible book with them besides both of them being very knowledgeable in marine life, they are lovely people. It was a memorable day. Sissy

I just love this site with all the chatting about what to bring and wear and buy. My lists for this cruise are growing daily!!!! I am a big fan of the XXL Hefty and Zip Loc bags.

Suitcases-here is a question about the types-Are rolling duffel bags better than the traditional size suitcases? Right now we each bring a clothing bag with lots of pockets, a large suitcase, and a carry-on.

Nancy

Archived