Cell service

I was checking with my carrier today for my upcoming cruise and he informed me that there are 16 ships that have cell service on board.

6 of those ships are with RCCL. Does anyone know what 6 ships those might be.

Im leaving on the Majesty and thats the one Im more interested in.

Im only trying to figure out if I would be able to use my alarm clock from the phone but only feasible if I have a signal

Majesty offers Cellular at Sea. I think almost all RCI ships do now. Regardless, I would rethink using your cell phone for an alarm. You can incur unexpected fees by leaving you phone on. If you choose to do so, be sure to disable all data / voice functions by going into airplane mode if you have it. Better yet, just use the phone in your stateroom to schedule an automated wake up call.

Just a thought...I don't know how you would set your phone to "ship's time". My clock automatically sets for whatever time zone I'm in. I guess you could figure out the time difference and set the alarm, but that's too much thinking for me when alcohol may be involved!!! :D I got a cheapie travel alarm clock at Ikea for about $1 and we used that.

I was on Grandeur in November and my Cingular/ATT worked in Labadee for $2.50/minute.

not exactly sure what ships have service but they do have alarm clocks in the staterooms, and im sure you can arange a wake up call also.

IME, I've never seen an alarm clock provided in a non-suite RCI stateroom.

thanks guys.. I have a travel alarm clock we use but the sound is so low that we sometimes we dont here it. Using my phone was just a thought.

I was advised to call the carrier and turn everything off and then back on when i get back home, text and calls etc...

while i agree its a hassle i was just looking at all options.

I also have never seen an alarm clock in the RCL rooms that I have had..

We only use our cell phone's alarm feature on the last night/morning--we keep it turned off once we leave our home port. Even if there is a signal, it's expensive. And, even if you don't answer the phone and someone texts you , you will be charged!

They have wake-up calls if you really need to be awakened on vacation!

Cell phones normally pick up their time from the nearest tower. I got strong signal both in and out of my cabin on Serenade last week, but my time and date were something odd - someother date, year and time entirely. Our tablemates showed the same time - doesn't appear that they've programmed the date and time correctly on the tower, at least on that ship.

Some cell phones/SmartPhones you can set the time to whatever you need it to be (or want it to be, LOL!). If that is the case of the OP's phone, she can turn the phone part off (sometimes called "airplane mode") and keep the device itself on to be used as an alarm clock.

I use a separate travel alarm clock from my phone (though it can be set to whatever I want, if I wanted it that way [i have my carrier set it]). It wasn't expensive, but it is nice and loud (volume adjustable, too).

• 3 weeks later...

i recieved the folloing email from RCI...

Dear Ms. -----,

Thank you for your email.

There are alarm clocks in all the staterooms. You may also use our free wake up call services. You will find all this information in the stateroom when you check in.

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International.

Dayna Bolton

Customer Service Representative

I was checking with my carrier today for my upcoming cruise and he informed me that there are 16 ships that have cell service on board.

Im only trying to figure out if I would be able to use my alarm clock from the phone but only feasible if I have a signal

I was on Voyager last week. They were saying we could use our cells but mine with Altell and my friends with another service would not work.

I was on Voyager last week. They were saying we could use our cells but mine with Altell and my friends with another service would not work.

Archived