Hubbard Glacier- How close May 2008?

ship2ship

I am cruising to Alaska for the first time out of San Francisco on the Millennium late May-- Hubbard Glacier is the only glacier viewing on the cruise- can anyone tell me how close you get in May? Can you still hear it calving? Thanks for any info-

I was on the Mercury two years ago from May 18 to 25th. The Mercury couldn't get close to the glacier due to the ice pack. It looked like a big snow slide and you couldn't make out the crevaces. There was no calving at that time.

I am cruising to Alaska for the first time out of San Francisco on the Millennium late May-- Hubbard Glacier is the only glacier viewing on the cruise- can anyone tell me how close you get in May? Can you still hear it calving? Thanks for any info-

It depends on the time of year and how cool or warn the weather has been. We visited in July and were close enough to see detail and hear/see calfing. In May it is much cooler and I imagine much more ice in the water which will keep you further away.

Hi,

As a rule of thumb, '' the earlier in the season, the further away you're stopped before turning back away''. Takes a while for the ''spring run-off'' ice packs to clear & melt away and make a closer approach for cruise ships safe.

Of course, how close a ship gets is always dictated by the local pilot who boards at the entrance to the Bay; whether it's late May or early September. Weather factors, tidal activities and ice movements vary wildly throughout the year and could sometimes dictate a 3 miles maximum approach even late august if the conditions, THAT day, warrant it.

Cheers

:)

Archived