Corkage fee on NCL?

dellasmom

In the real world the term corkage fee refers to a charge for their server opening and serving wine in their glass... To charge $15 per bottle for the privilege of allowing me to bring a bottle of wine to my room to open and consume without the need for service is a penalty fee plain and simple. It is NOT corkage! This is emblematic of the consistent nickel and dime you business model found on NCL.

Or somewhat of a compromise. They are allowing you to being alcohol on the ship, which they could just as easily say no alcohol at all. They are also losing possible income because you may have bought a bottle at dinner if you couldn't bring your own. So they wet their beak a little and let you bring a bottle. All I know is I'll be drinking a lot better stuff than they have on board and the $15 fee to do so is nothing.

In the real world the term corkage fee refers to a charge for their server opening and serving wine in their glass... To charge $15 per bottle for the privilege of allowing me to bring a bottle of wine to my room to open and consume without the need for service is a penalty fee plain and simple. It is NOT corkage! This is emblematic of the consistent nickel and dime you business model found on NCL.

Rubbish! Corkage is a euphemism for a charge to cover the loss of profit on the sale - it has nothing to do with servers/corkscrews/glasses.

Having said that, NCL have the nickel and dimeing down to a fine art (and are getting worse). I am surprised they haven't upped that particular charge yet - FDR must be taking his eye off the ball:rolleyes:.

On land, "corkage" is a euphemism for service charge, to make up for the profit lost. Some lines will allow one bottle, but that's it. I always bring wine on, and therefore prefer NCL's policy.

I was on the Star from 1/31-2/7 and saw the price of a 750ml bottle of Lindeman's wine that i can get at Walmart for $3.64 and my wife likes... on the ship it's $48! So needless to say if she wants wine and we don't have the UBP, I will bring a few bottles and pay $15 corkage per bottle and save $30 + 18% gratuity!

By the way, I took a picture of what the corkage fee should be - $15 for 750ml and $30 for 1.5L - see attached pdf. If you're getting the larger bottles corked at $15, you're getting a deal! I don't know if they recently changed it with all their a la carte pricing, service charge increases, and other fees.

NCL Corkage Fee.pdf

Rubbish! Corkage is a euphemism for a charge to cover the loss of profit on the sale - it has nothing to do with servers/corkscrews/glasses.

I actually think that it covers the lot. It's an extremely badly defined term, which leaves a lot open to individual places to decide.

Here's a random definition of corkage, which fits in pretty well with the general online consensus:

"The corkage fee covers service (but not tips/service charge), wine glass breakage/rental and some of the lost revenue from not selling a wine off the restaurant's list"

Given that description, the actual surprise is that NCL don't add the 18% to the corkage fee. :)

I have rarely seen it described in the way that the poster you quoted does though, and I'd agree that he is wrong. The principle reason for charging is generally to cover lost revenue, and this would apply in NCLs case.

I agree, by the way, that it's odd that FDR hasn't increased this charge. This thread is about 8 years old and the fee is still $15. That's actually fairly low for corkage compared to prices I've seen elsewhere.

Edited by KeithJenner

Last time I took a bottle of wine on board NCL, I was charged the corkage fee as I went through the luggage screening! I take a glass of wine to the dining room, not the bottle. Now I just take the glass I get before dinner from a bar, don't take a bottle any more.

Edited by Bonnie J.