Splendor Anyone?

CruiserGuy1234

We booked for October (Greek Isles) and one of the interesting things that we discovered is that the ocean view rooms are larger than the standard balcony room. The standard balcony room is 185 square feet plus the the 35 square feet for the balcony. Ocean view rooms are 210 square feet. So the space the balcony occupied is brought into the living space in an ocean view.

I didn't realise that but not complaining.

We booked a GTY balcony cabin and I thought the price was GREAT

We will be sailing Splendor on Dec 13 for a family cruise with 22 people.. I can't wait either :D My husband is also looking forward to it.. This will be our "1st NEW" ship we have been on. We have a gty. balcony. thats okay since I look at the deck lay outs. I don't think we can get a bad balcony room on that ship..

I can't wait to start to read and see people's pictures and reports on the ship. I still have a long wayyyyy to wait... :mad: To bad you can't speed up time..

I am also contemplating booking the Splendor for her maiden voyage in July for my husband and I ... our 10th anniversary happens to fall in the sailing dates.

Should I be nervous about booking a first sailing of a ship? I'm not paranoid, just wondering if we'll encounter any bugs that need to be worked out. It looks like a fabulous ship. I have only sailed on the Fantasy and Imagination, so I've never been on one of the newer Carnival ships!

Somebody has to go on the first cruise- only thing it seems more expensive than later cruises-

All about supply and demand

We're booked for the Aug 30/08 Baltics sailing. We are so looking forward to it. If the Splendor turns out anything like our Carnival Med cruise in April of 2007 on the awesome Freedom, we'll be happy campers:D

We booked on the Lido, we've discovered it's one of our favoirtie places since it's so close to all the action.

I cant wait for the cruises before us in July report back.

Tara

Somebody has to go on the first cruise- only thing it seems more expensive than later cruises-

All about supply and demand

Actually the fares on the 7/2 cruise are dropping like a rock. The weak dollar and high airfare are creating some great deals on this cruise.:D I have gotten 2 price drops already and I expect a few more around final payment time

For their latest ship, you would think they could be a little more innovative. All they did was take the same old Conquest design and made it a whopping 3% larger. Just added a few more cabins and made a larger spa to sell their overpriced procedures. After seeing what other Cruise lines have been doing for some time, I think Carnival is way behind.

I couldn't agree more. Seems like an over-sized Conquest Class (my least favorite class). Just adding more rooms for the pricey spa treatments from what I can see. :confused:

On the other hand, I'd love to give her a whirl. Maybe its just "sour grapes" for me, since I won't be sailing her soon. :rolleyes:

I like the idea of a "rolling itinerary", however. That way she'll get to be experienced by all the cruisers in the country. I also like the South American itineraries (after having done 10 Mexican Riviera cruisers out of LA, that would be a treat :D ). I'm sure this is necessary because of the inability to fit in the Panama Canal. I wonder if they'll schedule these visits to different American cities as home ports when the city's "local" Carnival ship is in dry dock. Anybody know ? :confused:

To all those that have passage booked on this ship . . . have a great time. :)

The Carnival Splendor is actually a clone of the newest Costa vessels. They are very similar to the Conquest class, but most assuredly an improvement. After we are aboard for 16 days on the TA next fall, I can give a definitive answer.

Carnival Corporation is much more conservative than some of the smaller operators. (Hmmm, smaller operators would be everyone else.) Some of these other lines are innovating to the point where they may be building some real turkeys if the innovations don't catch on with their public. Carnival did not become the behemoth it is by taking unnecessary risks.

Doc

I am doing the two day try me cruise. I would imagine that it will be full of travel agents and CCL will want to make a good impression. Do you think they will still do a formal night? I am hoping they don't just so we can pack light and the one day they would do that is the port day. I am excited to be on the maiden voyage out of the states.

• 4 weeks later...
Just booked 1-24-09 - looked too impressive to pass before it leaves for South America and the West Coast!

We thought the same thing - it looks FANTASTIC!!:D

We booked the 8 day - Thankgiving - itinerary out of Ft. Lauderdale on 11/21/08. Not sure how we will survive because now we wait.....:o

• 2 weeks later...

Archived