Mercury-Do you hear kitchen above Continental cabins?

steviem1

Just booked the Mercury, the Continental deck below the kitchen, cabin 4110. I am afraid that the noise from the kitchen will keep us awake. Has anyone ever had this cabin, or been in this location on that ship? What was your experience?

Stevie

We were on the Century a year ago and on the Continental Deck, cabin 4136. The noise from the kitchen was very noticable all night long. We must have been under a very large dough mixer...We asked to switch cabins, and they moved us to the other end of the ship, same deck. No noise at all from this new cabin.

Good Luck!

SDcruiser

Never book a cabin under, next to, or over any public areas. You are just asking for trouble. Even when we get a hotel room near the vending or elevators, we ask to be moved. I can't imagine a week or 10 days in a cabin with noise throughout the night. What a miserable vacation that would be.

I panicked and got our room moved further aft from under the kitchen, even though both my TA and her contact said they had never had a complaint from this ship about any of the rooms below the kitchen. We will see what happens. I checked our brochure and the Century wasn't in it, so I couldn't check the layout.

Thanks again,

Stevie

Maybe they didn't have complaints because the pax figured it was the luck of the draw - or they were so tired when they went to bed, they didn't hear anything - or they are heavy sleepers - or they are very tolerant of noise.

Not everyone cares about the noise around them, but since you asked whether there would be noise - I am assuming you do care about the noise. The change was a good idea - for your peace of mind. Hopefully, your TA checked the location of the new room to look for sources of noise that would bother you before they recommended the specific cabin.

We had a cabin on the Continental deck on the Mercury and it was very noisy. Sounded lke pots and pans were being thrown around all night. Maybe we next to dishwashing area. Never again will we ever book a cabin below, above or adjacent to the galley.

We had cabin 4058 on the Mercury last month and didn't hear any noise. We were on Continental deck on the Galaxy last year and also had no problems. However, my cousin and her husband were 2 doors down and they said the noise was awful.

Anne

As mentioned earlier above, we were on the Century, cabin 4136, which is directly below the 'empty space' or galley. Of course, the cruise line won't label it that in the brochure as people would tend not to book any cabins around this area.

Our room was quite noisy at night, as the 'giant dough mixer' was contantly churning out bread for meals. The bread was fantastic, however, we asked to be moved to the only other cabin available, which was in the front of the ship, same deck. Much quieter, a huge difference!!!

If you're a light sleeper, then I would move to the mid or front of the Continental Deck...

Good Luck!

SDCruiser

We moved two doors down which appears to be under the entrance to the galley. Don't know about the other ships, as this is our first time on Celebrity. I hope that we are far enough away from the cooking area. I suppose that those big empty spaces on all of those ships are the galleys. Our new room is 4120, so if anyone has stayed in that room, I would appreciate a report. Still worried about the noise, although I have been on cruises with people who slam drawers next door or talk loudly in the hallways late at night. Guess you get what you get. Thanks for all of the input.

Stevie

We're in 4125 on 10/16/04 on Century. I'll let you know what we hear when we get back. We booked through "that auction site" as well so it will probably be difficult to move if there is a problem.

We sailed in 4125 on Century and didn't here any specific noises...:) We heard some noises couple of times during our vacation but it wasn't bad nor I think it was from kitchen.

By-the-way,...despite being Category 8 room looked nicer and bigger than room next to it (to the Aft) Category 7. It was L shaped.

Good luck with your cruise..and say hello to our room.;)

Archived