I Wish Rccl Would Post NEW Tipping Guidelines

fifty

I do not make $3500US a month. No, Candians and Americans won't work do the wait staff job because they won't put in the hours and hard work that the wait staff do. Nevertheless, they make good money especially since they don't pay income tax.

I would suggest you re-read the excerpt. The waitstaff do make that kind of money. They work hard for it but they make it.

amybear912 has worked it out for you $11 an hour so don't tell us you cruise and make that amount. What they make for a month when they work 7 days a week and one week and one week a month work the WJ were they do not get paid.

Be carefull your attuide is showing.

For the others keep in mind eating in the dining room is not equal to a 5 star place and never will be. They are making meals in mass production. It would be more equl to attending a large meeting when they have to feed several hundred people at one time.

On our last RCI cruise (JOS, 12/06) we dined in the specialty restaurants every evening, had our breakfast in the CL and for lunch used Room service when not in port. We did not use the dining room at all and only the W upon embarkation.

We tipped the Concierge in the CL, the waitstaff and manager in Portofino and Chops and the room service delivery person. We saw no need to tip anyone else in food service.

That is our method of operation also - we avoid going into the WJ and MDR for anything and therefore, do not do the standard waitstaff tips.

amybear912 has worked it out for you $11 an hour so don't tell us you cruise and make that amount. What they make for a month when they work 7 days a week and one week and one week a month work the WJ were they do not get paid.

Be carefull your attuide is showing.

For the others keep in mind eating in the dining room is not equal to a 5 star place and never will be. They are making meals in mass production. It would be more equl to attending a large meeting when they have to feed several hundred people at one time.

My attitude is showing? Your inability to read is showing. I acknowledge how hard they work for a a living. I did that at one time, but not anymore. However, they are still making more money than me no matter how many hours they work. Period.

That also has nothing to do with how I or anyone else tips. At this point I shall leave this thread. It is a waste of time and ink. I will continue to do what I do and everyone else will continue to do what they do. It's what makes the world go-round.

But when you go outside the guidelines, you are essentially trying to "get one over" on the staff... I suspect, and I may be wrong here, that those who simply choose to tip who they want when they want, probably end up tipping less than those of us who follow the suggestion... It's easy to make up your statistics when you have no basis in fact on which to base them.

Seriously, how many of you who only eat in WJ actually tip the recommended amount??? Or do you "adjust down" because you feel the level of service is not the same as you would receive in the MDR??? I can assure that we usually tip over the recommended amounts, because in our opinion they are ridiculously low. We just don't distribute them the way RCI recommends.

Even WJ servers are serving you... they don't just wipe tables and get your additional drinks, they are also making sure the buffet is well-stocked and I have seen some of them refilling the platters or if nothing more, informing the kitchen that something is running low or is completely out... so in essence, they are serving you... and deserve the same tip... trust the system, it works or they wouldn't be using it... But they don't get a tip when they work in the WJ unless somebody leaves cash for them. I don't "trust in the system" because I don't think it's fair to the WJ employees to have to work without tips for a week. Just because the corporation thinks it's fair doesn't mean that I have to.

No one is asking you to "blindly" follow the guideline... the guideline is clear and you are not entitled to know a full accounting of their payroll process. That seems kind of blind to me...

The point is that no one here, not a single one of us, can say with certainty HOW the tip money is doled out... and it's none of our business to do that accounting for them... The cruiseline provides a suggestion on tipping and I trust that they make sure that the appropriate people receive what they are due... I can add additional to reward if appropriate but the suggested amounts - I trust that they are distributed fairly and evenly. I put my certainty level at about 95% given information volunteered to me by various crew and staff over the years. That's good enough odds for me...

To go outside the guideline and do your own math for those you actually come in contact with, suggests that you do not trust the system... or that you do not like the system - either way, you are using your personal political views on tipping to punish the staff for something that is out of their control... No, not punishing anybody. Rewarding those who actually provide a service to me.

If you don't receive the service you expected, there are ways to approach that issue... and you should... but creating your own system to suit your needs is kind of selfish... just a little bit. It's not about not receiving the expected service, it's about getting service from sources not covered by the current tipping guidelines. I don't see how you call it selfish unless you're referring to people who don't tip or tip less than the suggested amounts.

My 2 cents...

Well, we prepaid our tips. I don't intend to cancel any of those tips. Whether or not we eat in the dining room. Guess I'll be in the stampede to make reservations for Chops and Portifinos right after we board the ship (sigh). At least for some of the nights. I kind of feel like we are being manipulated (because of our desire for delicious food) into paying extra for dinner. Oh, well. You live and you learn.

• 2 weeks later...

:eek: I promised an update from RCCL and I e-mailed them twice (bold) and still could not get the answer (Just the info that is on the website) - so I guess I'll do whatever feels right to me.

To: web_reservations@rccl.com

> Issue: Could you tell us what the tipping protocol is if you do not use the DR at all (but plan to eat AND TIP in the specialty resaturants for a 7 night cruise? We also use the WJ 3 or 4 times for lunch. We want to be sure everyone is tipped well but wonder if we are supposed to tip in the DR for service we don't use. Thank you for any info and I will post on Cruise critic as we are all wondering.

Thank you for your email. So that you can thank those who have made your cruise vacation better than you could have imagined, we've developed these gratuity guidelines:

> Suite attendant: $5.75 USD a day per guest

> Stateroom attendant: $3.50 USD a day per guest

> Dining Room Waiter: $3.50 USD a day per guest

> Assistant Waiter: $2.00 USD a day per guest

> Headwaiter: $.75 USD a day per guest

>Note: These gratuities apply to guests of all ages.

>

Gratuities for other service personnel are at your discretion. A 15% gratuity will automatically be added to your bar bill or wine check when you are served. Envelopes for gratuities will be provided in your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Gratuities may be paid in the following ways:

1) Pre paid by having them added to your reservation by your booking agent.

2) Added to your onboard SeaPass account.

3) Paid in cash at the end of the cruise.

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International.

I am aware of the customary tipping guidelines. My question was "What does a passenger do when they do not eat in the dining room at all but chooses the specialty restaurant instead. Are we still supposed to tip the DR staff? Thank you. .

Thank you for your email. Gratuity is included in the service charge for the dining experience. Gratuity for beverages will be added at 15% of the beverage bill. We look forward to welcoming you aboard in the very near future.

On the GR last month,I overheard a lady next to me(at Guest Relations) asking about prepaid tips(she was new to cruising)....she thought she would automatically be charged..the purser said "no,its up to each individual if they want to prepay tips".......she went on to say "some people don't eat in the dining room,so they don't need to tip":eek: :eek: :eek:

On the GR last month,I overheard a lady next to me(at Guest Relations) asking about prepaid tips(she was new to cruising)....she thought she would automatically be charged..the purser said "no,its up to each individual if they want to prepay tips".......she went on to say "some people don't eat in the dining room,so they don't need to tip":eek: :eek: :eek:

And as long as they are tipping elsewhere I see no problem with NOT tipping people who don't give you service.

With more and more pax choosing the specialty restaurants for dining and opting not to go to the DR at all, it would seem that RCCL would post a revised "suggested" tipping procedure, updating the one that they have online now.

If I sail RCCL again, as I probably will, I will opt to use only the specialty restaurants as we found them to be far superior to the DR. I know that most suggest that one should tip the DR staff as well but if you are paying 20 fee plus another 10 tip to the Speciality restaurant, that adds up to $210 for a 7 day cruise for one person.

Should we tip additionally to the DR staff as well? I know this has been asked before but I don't think we have arrived at any definitive method or amount for equitable distributions.

If anyone, or anyone from RCCL, could advise, I think that would be great. Any suggestions?

If you don't use the main dining room why would you tip? You didn't get service and you're tipping at the specialty reaturant so why double tip.

And as long as they are tipping elsewhere I see no problem with NOT tipping people who don't give you service.

Yea,IF they are.....but come on,do you think those who eat only in the WJ tip??? I dont think so...

*secures flamsuit helmet carefully*

Ya know, before I get into this, I'll go ahead and say I make about $25k a year, and I've only been on one cruise. Ive been on and off these boards for 3 years now, and really, you guys talk entirely too much about tips.

Do you know what I did with my "suggested tip" information and all the envelopes carnival gave me? Yup, you're getting close. I threw almost all of them away.

My room steward (in a single occupancy) got about $20 on the first day to keep my cooler of smuggled goodies filled with ice, and another $5 a day.

I tipped accordingly everytime someone brought me a drink ($1-$2, depending how quick, nice, and cute they were ;)). The waiter in the DR and the Maitre'd both got $10 from me, and I ate one meal in the DR.

As much as you guys like to imagine this people as underpaid overworked people, I don't make $3000 a month, and apparantly most of them do. I've worked jobs on Salary here in the states, where I averaged 6 12 hour days and a 7th 6 hour day, and still didn't break 3,000 a month.

Despite what everyone wants you to think, they make enough money that they continue to do this for months and months and months. They also get the added benefit of WORKING ON A CRUISE SHIP...and when they do get days off, guess what, they're ON A CRUISE SHIP or in some foreign port. I'm 22 and I'd love to work on a cruise ship.

So, to the people who will flame me, I'm glad you feel compelled to tips hundreads of dollars on a cruise. Me, I tip where its deserved and within my reason. Literally from how much some of you say you tip, you could go on a whole 'nuther cruise for that kind of money. Never in my life have I heard of tips being as mandatory as you people make them sound...the cruise ship employees love you, no doubt. And whoever said that the reason service is slipping is because they know they're getting thier tips either way, hell yah. If I worked on a ship, and KNEW i'd make $3000 a month weather I busted my butt for you or didn't, guess what I'd do. If i didn't eat in a DR for a whole cruise, bet yoru butt I wouldn't tip them a dime, but I would tip wherever I was eating.

and I have to add too, one little thing.... these are "Suggested Tips". Even if I had the money to tip everyone $500, that dosen't mean I would.

Suggested tips are just that, a suggestion. I suggest they were made because some people had no idea what a good tip is on a cruise ship, and no doubt to make people aware "yes, you are still expected to tip".

But with all tips, tips are meant to be adjusted up and down. Believe it or not, I went to a Denny's not to long ago, and on a ticket of $27 dollars, I left a $50 and told her to keep the change, she was *that* good.

I've also gone to Denny's and not left a tip at all, not because Im being cheap, but because the service sucked.

Everyone in the world knows the "average tip" is 10-20%...but we all adjust that to what our service actually was.

On that same note, the entire ship's staff thats getting tips knows that as well. If my room steward absolutely sucked, I would not hestitate to not leave them a single dollar, if I'd tried a few times to improve my service. Most of you sound like you'd still tip because "they need to feed thier families". If they truly are that desperate for money, maybe they should give better service.

(For the record, I also agree you should never punish a waiter/steward, etc for something out of thier control - i.e. bad food, or a policy of only bringing ice once per day, ect.)

Yea,IF they are.....but come on,do you think those who eat only in the WJ tip??? I dont think so...

I do. :) The tips go on my sea pass card. Some cruises, between the sea pass tipping, specialty restaurant tipping and room service tipping, it would be cheaper for me to eat in the DR. I would do that but I really enjoy doing things my way.

I do. :) The tips go on my sea pass card. Some cruises, between the sea pass tipping, specialty restaurant tipping and room service tipping, it would be cheaper for me to eat in the DR. I would do that but I really enjoy doing things my way.

Im talking about those who eat only in the WJ and dont prepay tips....I bet they dont tip at all......well, I dont think the majority does......

Im like you..........if we dont eat in the DR and only in the WJ, we prepay..

If my room steward absolutely sucked, I would not hestitate to not leave them a single dollar, if I'd tried a few times to improve my service. Most of you sound like you'd still tip because "they need to feed thier families". If they truly are that desperate for money, maybe they should give better service.

Have to disagree with you about that...how bad could he "suck" not to leave him/her anything??? Not go into your cabin at all?????? That would be the only situation where I wouldnt tip at all............if he wasnt pleasant or didnt do things 100% to my liking,he would still get a tip....maybe not a huge amount,but if my bed was made and I got towels everyday,I'd tip him

:eek: I promised an update from RCCL and I e-mailed them twice (bold) and still could not get the answer (Just the info that is on the website) - so I guess I'll do whatever feels right to me.

To: web_reservations@rccl.com

> Issue: Could you tell us what the tipping protocol is if you do not use the DR at all (but plan to eat AND TIP in the specialty resaturants for a 7 night cruise? We also use the WJ 3 or 4 times for lunch. We want to be sure everyone is tipped well but wonder if we are supposed to tip in the DR for service we don't use. Thank you for any info and I will post on Cruise critic as we are all wondering.

Thank you for your email. So that you can thank those who have made your cruise vacation better than you could have imagined, we've developed these gratuity guidelines:

> Suite attendant: $5.75 USD a day per guest

> Stateroom attendant: $3.50 USD a day per guest

> Dining Room Waiter: $3.50 USD a day per guest

> Assistant Waiter: $2.00 USD a day per guest

> Headwaiter: $.75 USD a day per guest

>Note: These gratuities apply to guests of all ages.

>

Gratuities for other service personnel are at your discretion. A 15% gratuity will automatically be added to your bar bill or wine check when you are served. Envelopes for gratuities will be provided in your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Gratuities may be paid in the following ways:

1) Pre paid by having them added to your reservation by your booking agent.

2) Added to your onboard SeaPass account.

3) Paid in cash at the end of the cruise.

I am aware of the customary tipping guidelines. My question was "What does a passenger do when they do not eat in the dining room at all but chooses the specialty restaurant instead. Are we still supposed to tip the DR staff? Thank you. .

Thank you for your email. Gratuity is included in the service charge for the dining experience. Gratuity for beverages will be added at 15% of the beverage bill. We look forward to welcoming you aboard in the very near future.

This tells me that the $20/pp service charge to the restaurant includes the tip. That's as clear an answer as you can ever ask for IMO.

I believe your making an assumption based on a lack of knowledge. No insult intended. However, that seems to be the general theme here.

I do not tip in the dining room when we don't eat there, however we do tip everywhere else we eat including Johnny Rockets.

If there are those and I grant you there are, that don't tip in the WJ when that is the only place they eat, I would assume that those same people wouldn't tip in the dining room either.

Again I will go back to personal choice. I can't imagine not giving a gratuity to anyone who does me a service however it is personal choice. Those that don't believe in it or just don't want to won't. No matter how much we argue on here it isn't going to change a single mind.

If there are those and I grant you there are, that don't tip in the WJ when that is the only place they eat, I would assume that those same people wouldn't tip in the dining room either.

I agree with you - we cruise a lot on the Monarch, and have heard from a number of our acquaintances onboard that many passengers don't tip a dime in the dining room (or to their cabin attendants, for that matter) even when they take all of their dinners there.

And I don't think it's fair to automatically assume that somebody who eats in the WJ is a cheapskate. Maybe we're just sick to death of Italian night.

I agree with you - we cruise a lot on the Monarch, and have heard from a number of our acquaintances onboard that many passengers don't tip a dime in the dining room (or to their cabin attendants, for that matter) even when they take all of their dinners there.

Thats terrible:mad:

We eat just in the WJ on short cruises.........

I wrote in and asked about tipping. This is what I got:

Dear Mrs. Childers,

Thank you for your email.

The Dining Room staff is included in the gratuities at the end of the cruise.

The Windjammer staff is not included in the gratuities and can be tipped at guest's discretion.

We have included the gratuity breakdown below for your review:

Suite attendant: $5.75 USD a day per guest

Stateroom attendant: $3.50 USD a day per guest

Dining Room Waiter: $3.50 USD a day per guest

Assistant Waiter: $2.00 USD a day per guest

Headwaiter: $.75 USD a day per guest

Christopher Fitzgerald

Customer Service Representative

This tells me that the $20/pp service charge to the restaurant includes the tip. That's as clear an answer as you can ever ask for IMO.

I asked if we ate ONLY IN THE SPECIALITY RESTAURANT or WJ and NOT IN THE DR (sorry, not yelling just trying to be clear) or if someone does not eat at ALL in the DR, Do you tip the DR staff?

I understand that the 20/pp charge in the specialty restaurant includes the tip, although I usually leave a bit more. It's the DR staff that I was asking about if one does not eat in the DR at all. For instance, there is a very port intensive cruise 7 days where I doubt that I would get to the DR at all - probably room service for breakfast and WJ? or Portofinos for dinner. The question is - Do we still tip the DR waiters ? i

I didn't read through all 70-odd of these posts, but we need to remember the regular tip is a DAILY tip, NOT just for dinner. So, what you tip your DR staff supplements for the service you get all day long from the staff wherever you eat.

People keep thinking this is an evening dinner tip, and it's not.

So, figure the specialty restaurant is extra for the extra service and better food, but that doesn't excuse you from tipping for the rest of your DAY.

I didn't read through all 70-odd of these posts, but we need to remember the regular tip is a DAILY tip, NOT just for dinner. So, what you tip your DR staff supplements for the service you get all day long from the staff wherever you eat.

People keep thinking this is an evening dinner tip, and it's not.

So, figure the specialty restaurant is extra for the extra service and better food, but that doesn't excuse you from tipping for the rest of your DAY.

And that's the point of tipping in the appropriate places. We do not eat breakfast in the dining room (use rooms service and/or wj) and we do not eat lunch in the dining room. If we also don't eat dinner in the dining room then we are NOT getting service from the dining room. It is the person who has served us is in the wj and/or speciality restaurants that will get a gratuity from us in the place in which they gave us service.

If we happen to take a meal off the ship at lunch for example, then we will give the appropriate gratuity in the restaurant.

For the life of me I don't understand why people feel than everyone should give a gratuity for services not received.

I have not sailed RCI before, Why are gratuities not included for service in the Windjammer?:confused:

It may be different on RCI from other lines I have been on but don't the servers move around? Just because you don't eat in the DR does not mean you do not get service from the staff. We put 15% on the Sea Pass and the the cruise is more enjoyable because there is one less thing to be concerned about. Then we tip extra where warranted.

Archived