I Wish Rccl Would Post NEW Tipping Guidelines

fifty

Well, he does work for more than $50--but it's not much of a base, and we really do depend on those commission checks--so trust me, I really do feel for the employees in the service industry working for tips. I do, personally, tip by the guidelines for average service, and extra for good service. And I would certainly not approve of anyone short-changing where they do receive good service.

I just don't like the blanket judgements :)

On my last cruise on NCL, we asked the purser and he said that on NCL, all the prepaid tips go to the main office and through bookkeeping, it is divided amongst all servers. I always decline prepaid tips. I feel if I have a great waiter, I want him getting extra and I make sure he gets the cash in his hand.

The system has been in place for eons... it must work or they would have changed the system... The employees ARE earning a livable wage or they wouldn't continue in this line of work... the "system" isn't the problem... people are the problem because they don't trust that the system works or they want to create their own system that works for them... Go right ahead... I have no problem with that... Let's just say that some of us prefer to keep our vacations less complicated, we follow the guideline and cruise along... others, "over-think" the situation, IMO...

I wish I could afford to eat in the specialty restaurants every night of my cruise---but apparently, if waiters make about $3500 plus room and board per month--they're actually ahead of my family of 5 on the earnings scale.

And yet you don't think they are making a living wage??? I'm confused:confused:

My DH works very hard every day--services his accounts regularly, runs samples over when needed (at about $20-30 personal gas expense), but none of his customers ever call and say "Gee, you came in all 7 times I needed you this month, but since I didn't actually ever order anything, here's $100 to go towards your salary." That's the nature of life, and one of the things you accept when you take a job---just like all of the people who have decided to work on a cruise ship for $50 plus tips.

And that's just my opinion--also strongly worded.;)

but he gets paid a salary right??? or is he commission???? Different jobs pay in different ways... and compensation is always tied to performance... The difference here is that in the service industry, performance is evaluated with each customer... other industries evaluate yearly...

The service industry has traditionally paid on a tip basis... people (like myself) do this for a living because of what we earn and because we like what we do, otherwise we would move on to another industry... but honestly, the pay is good... Good enough that some of us leave salary jobs because we make better money serving... heck, I work with a guy who pulls in six figures a year and drives a Viper .... ON TIPS!!!!!! He left a job in chemical engineering to serve because the money is better and the scheduling fits his lifestyle better... Some of us can work a 5 hour shift and walk with $800!!!! New Years Eve I walked with $1200!!! Last night I walked with $750...CASH!!!!! New Years Eve and Valentines Day are the biggest days of our year...

The system works... the majority of the time... there are some who don't tip or "under" tip... but I can honestly say, those people are in the minority...

When it comes to cruises though, I personally feel comfortable trusting that the system in place works out... and I figure it must, or else I wouldn't see the same servers cruise after cruise...

There's no reason to feel sorry for these people or worry about their pay - if you trust the system...

Just booked my first cruise for May - 4 days in the Bahamas. Most likely will do dinner in the MDR each night. Plan on doing the suggested tips on the seapass. However, does anyone tip their cabin attendant or waiter extra at the beginning of the cruise? I'm not above doing such a thing to encourage extra good service :-)

The system has been in place for eons... it must work or they would have changed the system... The employees ARE earning a livable wage or they wouldn't continue in this line of work... the "system" isn't the problem... people are the problem because they don't trust that the system works or they want to create their own system that works for them... Go right ahead... I have no problem with that... Let's just say that some of us prefer to keep our vacations less complicated, we follow the guideline and cruise along... others, "over-think" the situation, IMO...

Maybe not eons, but here's the problem--about 8 years ago, the cruise lines introduced specialty dining--hence the current discussion. What worked without issue before, now doesn't always. The cruise lines initiated the change in the system--new dining options that take potential tippers out of the MDR--it is their responsibility to insure their employees get adequate compensation.

I wish I could afford to eat in the specialty restaurants every night of my cruise---but apparently, if waiters make about $3500 plus room and board per month--they're actually ahead of my family of 5 on the earnings scale.

And yet you don't think they are making a living wage??? I'm confused:confused:

I never said they aren't making a living wage--others who are debating in favor of tipping MDR staff, even if you never stepped foot there, have made statements of concern in that regard.

but he gets paid a salary right??? or is he commission???? Different jobs pay in different ways... and compensation is always tied to performance... The difference here is that in the service industry, performance is evaluated with each customer... other industries evaluate yearly...

Many outstanding sales people struggle in a bad economy--it doesn't always have to do with poor performance, ie, not working hard, or competently. Gas prices are thru the roof, companies in DH's industry don't provide a vehicle, and Chinese imports are flooding the market at half the price of American made. The housing market is horrible, and things are tight. Putting in new hard wood floors isn't a priority for a lot of people right now. That's just the way it is. Sometimes life is hard, and we accept that. We're thankful he's one of the best in his company, and we'll ride this out. I think the waiters on cruise ships understand the facts that pertain to their industry. I don't believe they signed on without understanding that some months/weeks would be great, and some not so great. Same as my DH in his job.

The service industry has traditionally paid on a tip basis... people (like myself) do this for a living because of what we earn and because we like what we do, otherwise we would move on to another industry... but honestly, the pay is good... Good enough that some of us leave salary jobs because we make better money serving... heck, I work with a guy who pulls in six figures a year and drives a Viper .... ON TIPS!!!!!! He left a job in chemical engineering to serve because the money is better and the scheduling fits his lifestyle better... Some of us can work a 5 hour shift and walk with $800!!!! New Years Eve I walked with $1200!!! Last night I walked with $750...CASH!!!!! New Years Eve and Valentines Day are the biggest days of our year...

That's great--I'm really happy you had such an awesome payoff for working those days

The system works... the majority of the time... there are some who don't tip or "under" tip... but I can honestly say, those people are in the minority...

I'm certainly not arguing in favor of those people--I'm just as disgusted by them as you are.

When it comes to cruises though, I personally feel comfortable trusting that the system in place works out... and I figure it must, or else I wouldn't see the same servers cruise after cruise...

There's no reason to feel sorry for these people or worry about their pay - if you trust the system...

I trusted the system before specialty dining became mainstream.

I'm sure it works most of the time, we are talking about a minority of passengers. I don't feel sorry for them--I just don't think it's unreasonable to not want to tip twice. I think that if the cruise lines are going to allow passengers to book specialty all week--they should allow them to opt out of the MDR entirely, so the passengers in the MDR can be spread out, and each waiter gets a balanced share.

Well, he does work for more than $50--but it's not much of a base, and we really do depend on those commission checks--so trust me, I really do feel for the employees in the service industry working for tips. I do, personally, tip by the guidelines for average service, and extra for good service. And I would certainly not approve of anyone short-changing where they do receive good service.

I just don't like the blanket judgements :)

I have no blankets today!!:D :D

GeorgiaGuys: yes, I give the cabin steward extra money up front for special requests, ESPECIALLY on the first day which is a madhouse for them if I ask for anything that day.

This thread really confuses me!

When you pay tips in cash, lets say to the DR waiter, does he keep them him self or are they pooled? If they are kept fine. He or she has done the job for them.

What happens if you prepay tips? do they go to your DR waiter? If they do thats also fine.

What happens if you prepay tips and dont go to the dining room? does the dining room waiter still get them as he will have a table empty or short, or do they make sure they have a full table to wait on so they will have their full tips? In which case the tips should then be shared out with the staff in the windjammer?

For the cabin staff its easier. You know who they are and what they do. So either way you pay I would think that person gets it?

IMO The company should pay a decent wage, by putting ther cruise up by what they think is the correct amount, if what they make in profit is not enough.

That way people know how much the cruise is going to cost them, and if they can afford it. Afterall what one person thinks is a fortune is peanuts to somebody else. One person may cruise all the time because they can afford to, for another it may be once in a while or life time.Once on board people can then TIP what they want/afford, without being criticized.:D

I don't understand why people get so caught up in who gets what tip. Who cares? Put the tips on your sign and sail card and let the management worry about who gets their portion.

So much discussion about nothing, over and over again. I put my tips on my card and don't give it another thought. Makes for a stress free cruise experience.

Get over yourselves people.

AMEN brother!

I just don't get why people want to spend so much time trying to figure this out... follow the guidelines and let the bean counters at RC worry about the payrolll...

If the pay was a problem, they wouldn't have a staff... they have a staff and many have been working with them for years so THEY obviously are satisfied with their pay, why should we worry about it?????

Follow the guidelines, trust that the system works and enjoy your vacation.... I guarantee that no one gets this worked up over how you are paid...:)

AMEN brother!

I just don't get why people want to spend so much time trying to figure this out... follow the guidelines and let the bean counters at RC worry about the payrolll...

If the pay was a problem, they wouldn't have a staff... they have a staff and many have been working with them for years so THEY obviously are satisfied with their pay, why should we worry about it?????

Follow the guidelines, trust that the system works and enjoy your vacation.... I guarantee that no one gets this worked up over how you are paid...:)

Does not mean law. I will not follow blindly - obviously others don't mind and that is their choice..not mine..... I don't know why you keep insisting that everyone should "follow the guidelines".

Everyone is free to make their own choice.........giving gratuities to those that serve me is mine...........

Does not mean law. I will not follow blindly - obviously others don't mind and that is their choice..not mine..... I don't know why you keep insisting that everyone should "follow the guidelines".

Everyone is free to make their own choice.........giving gratuities to those that serve me is mine...........

IMO it is just amybear's recommendation to maximize your F.R.E.D.:) Feel free to follow whatever guidelines that allow you to do that.

From reading a number of posts it is quite obvious the cruise lines (mass market lines for sure) are going to have to do a rethink on "basic tipping". :)

The lines have let the whole subject get out of hand, especially with the introduction of alternative dining venues and the masses of new cruisers who don't get it or don't want to get it.

No wonder the stiff rate is so high on mass market lines. As some wise and astute posters have mentioned, just prepay the charges and let the ship sort it out. If everyone did this no one would get stiffed and everyone is happy. "Basic Tipping" on cruise ships is NOT the same as at your local restaurants. There is only one exception to this and that is any money you give ABOVE the recommended amounts.

I am not surprised tip boxes are placed in the Windjammer, people who don't use the main dining room figure they don't have to pay the wait staff portion of the tips.

As to what the crew makes and how the money is dispersed, that is the crew's and the ship's business. Geeezzz, we are talking $9.75 per day per person (a little more for the suites), I can't believe the nonsense about this.

Archived