What should I do???

angela76

Last i heard you had to have earned at least 3000 dollars to qualify, although the senate is pushing some exception for the elderly so its still kinda of up in the air for some folks.

Thanks for the answer, I appreciate it.

Last i heard you had to have earned at least 3000 dollars to qualify, although the senate is pushing some exception for the elderly so its still kinda of up in the air for some folks.

This is correct. However, although the Senate and House bills contain some big differences, they are in the details, not on a major concept level. Keep watching the news - in an election year, the bill should come out of Joint Committee on Taxation pretty quickly and get passed.

Only bad news for me - my final payment is due in April, before the target payment date. :( I guess that's more drink-of-the-day money for me! :D

(Yeah, I know, party foul. I just can't help myself.:o )

Right we do not.. she asked about her passport money.. Not your place to question otherwise:rolleyes:

I was not questioning otherwise. I was making a comment as to why is she asking a bunch of strangers whether she should rob Peter to pay Paul.... when we know nothing about her ability to repay Peter.

Seems to me she is looking to us to justify making a potentially stupid decision that could jeopardize her future cruise. If she is so concerned about it to need validation from all of us, then she probably shouldn't rob Peter.

So where is the value in all of us saying "Go For It". :confused:

I was not questioning otherwise. I was making a comment as to why is she asking a bunch of strangers whether she should rob Peter to pay Paul.... when we know nothing about her ability to repay Peter.

Seems to me she is looking to us to justify making a potentially stupid decision that could jeopardize her future cruise. If she is so concerned about it to need validation from all of us, then she probably shouldn't rob Peter.

Ah there you go, attempting to interject reason and accountability. Truth is, you don't seriously ask a bunch of strangers to advise you on personal finances. She's just looking for cheerleaders, and of course there's always plenty of those around.

Peter doesn't HAVE to have a passport to sail. He can go with his birth certificate and drivers license.

I think Paul should "go for it" and have a good time. BTW... if you decide not to go tell your friend that Lynne will be glad to go. :p :D

I don't understand why there are always people reading more into the OP's question. She did not say she couldn't save up the money again, or that she was putting their next cruise at risk. She said "what would you do...." We gave her our answer about what we would do. If you don't agree, then just say you don't agree and that you would never do it. Why judge? Why try to belittle? It really is a simple question. Would you? , you wouldn't, enough said.

I don't understand why there are always people reading more into the OP's question. She did not say she couldn't save up the money again, or that she was putting their next cruise at risk. She said "what would you do...." We gave her our answer about what we would do. If you don't agree, then just say you don't agree and that you would never do it. Why judge? Why try to belittle? It really is a simple question. Would you? , you wouldn't, enough said.

Exactly. Maybe some folks are just jealous they weren't offered a free cruise instead of being excited for someone who was.

JandJ,

After reading your post, I thought perhaps I had missed the point, so I went back and read the original post. No, it very clearly says "What should I do?". The ensuing data provided must be taken within that context. Clearly it's a request for feedback regarding her personal finances, not merely a poll asking what others would do in her place. ;)

As to your question "Why judge?"; why not? We all judge all things, whether we couch it in those terms or not.

I would do it, if I knew that I could save up the money and get our passports before the next cruise.

Yes, it might be true that you don't HAVE to have them, but for me, I want to be sure that if there were an emergency, I wouldn't have to go through another level of crap to get myself or my family home from another country.....I would want the ease of being able to not have to worry about that part, and have my passport.

HAVE FUN!

Ah there you go, attempting to interject reason and accountability. Truth is, you don't seriously ask a bunch of strangers to advise you on personal finances. She's just looking for cheerleaders, and of course there's always plenty of those around.

Sorry..... that happens to me a lot..... especially on these boards. I personally would find these boards boring if all they were were about cheer leading and document dances. :rolleyes: I look forward to spirited and intellectual exchange of ideas and information. ;) :)

Sorry..... that happens to me a lot..... especially on these boards. I personally would find these boards boring if all they were were about cheer leading and document dances. :rolleyes: I look forward to spirited and intellectual exchange of ideas and information. ;) :)

I too enjoy watching, as well as taking part in a "spirited and intellectual exchange" but only if it involves people offering ideas and other suggestions without judgement and snide comments, especially to people who are new to the boards, and haven't learned yet the proper way to phrase a question. The comment that you made about using the kids' college fund and the rent money was just mean. Neither of those things can be compared to "passport money" as that is expendable money.

The OP was asking a simple question, and while we couldn't possibly tell her what she "should" do, we could offer our opinions on what WE "would" do. Her "family cruise" is another year away, and I would assume that she could find a way to re-gain the money for the passports in that amount of time...otherwise she wouldn't be taking a family of 4 on a cruise to begin with, AND she wouldn't even be considering using that money on THIS cruise either.

OP...please correct me if I'm wrong.

Wow what a debate:

I sometimes cruise solo or with friends or with our one boy. But only when spouse is 100% O.K. with it. Also If the boy is not going, if somone can take up my Taxi duties... Spouse takes some trips w/o me also.

Truth is I need to cruise more than my spouse does if that makes any sense.

I have been offerd free cruises I have had to decline (travel writer friend) because the timing was bad. But if it works out go and have a good time. Just remember to check in via phone or email. That makes a huge differance..

All for now, Tom in Long Beach

As of right now passports are not required until summer 2009 is the last I heard someone will correct me if I am wrong.

are passports needed summer 2008 or 2009? i thought 2008

It was changed again, this time to June, 2009
For US citizens on Round Trip cruises from the US all you need is a certified Birth Certificate and government picture ID (usually a Driver License). That's the regulation now and after June 2009.

The implementation of the full WHTI was pushed back to June of 2009, but the full WHTI will not require passports or passcards on these cruises. Flying, yes; crossing a land border, yes; but not these cruises.

A passport is an excellent travel tool, just as insurance is a wise travel investment, but neither are required.

At the risk of sounding corny, what would be the point of going on a cruise without your spouse? I mean, as much as I love everything about cruising, it just wouldn't be the same without my sweetie.

couldnt agree more,,,,,

[quote name='cherylandtk']For US citizens on Round Trip cruises from the US all you need is a certified Birth Certificate and government picture ID (usually a Driver License). [B]That's the regulation now [I]and[/I] after June 2009.[/B]

The implementation of the full WHTI was pushed back to June of 2009, but the full WHTI will not require passports or passcards on these cruises. Flying, yes; crossing a land border, yes; but not these cruises.

A passport is an excellent travel tool, just as insurance is a wise travel investment, but neither are required.[/quote]
Once again a spot-on factual post. Well done c&tk.

[quote name='cherylandtk']For US citizens on Round Trip cruises from the US all you need is a certified Birth Certificate and government picture ID (usually a Driver License). [B]That's the regulation now [I]and[/I] after June 2009.[/B]

A passport is an excellent travel tool, just as insurance is a wise travel investment, but neither are required.[/quote]

If an "event" were to occur at some point the rules could change overnight. I'd rather have the passport and be sure. And I'd really hate to be outside the country and have an "event" occur and all of a sudden I couldn't get back home.

Yes Sheri, I must admit I was really surprised at the number of people responding in this thread, that seem to have no qualms about vacationing without their spouse.

The idea is so foreign to me that I can't even process the concept. As I gave it more thought, it dawned on me that we, as a nation, do after all have a 50% divorce rate, so I shouldn't be surprised that not all share my view on the marriage relationship.

:)

[quote name='Mikel1733']If an "event" were to occur at some point the rules could change overnight. I'd rather have the passport and be sure. And I'd really hate to be outside the country and have an "event" occur and all of a sudden I couldn't get back home.[/quote]Well, I cannot disagree with you about preferring to have a passport just in case, because I do recommend passports, and having one is far better than not.

But I also realize that the 'event' of 9/11/01 is what precipitated the WHTI and the border crossing changes; it is now 6 and half years later, with at least another 18 months to go before full implementation. So I cannot agree that changes as a result of such an 'event' will happen overnight....:D

[quote name='BetterLateThannever']Yes Sheri, I must admit I was really surprised at the number of people responding in this thread, that seem to have no qualms about vacationing without their spouse.

The idea is so foreign to me that I can't even process the concept. As I gave it more thought, it dawned on me that we, as a nation, do after all have a 50% divorce rate, so I shouldn't be surprised that not all share my view on the marriage relationship.

:)[/quote]

This isn't a matter of right or wrong or strong marriage versus divorce. It is what works for each individual couple. I am excited when DH gets the opportunity to go deep sea fishing with the guys. He is happy for me when I get the opportunity to go on a relaxing retreat. In your relationship this might not work so it wouldn't be healthy for you as a couple. Different strokes for different folks.

Just my 2c, but if you have to chose between ($300?) for 4 passports or spending money on a cruise... you should not be going on either cruise...

No offense.. i have been there (short on funds)... i would save til neither is an issue

[QUOTE][COLOR=#9932cc]That was just uncalled for...she was asking a legitimate question...the rest of it is none of your business[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Anytime someone posts a question to a group of strangers asking for their advice, it pretty much makes the whole topic everyone's business.

If you don't want opinions that may differ from the ones you actually want, don't post on a public board.

[quote name='imnance']Anytime someone posts a question to a group of strangers asking for their advice, it pretty much makes the whole topic everyone's business.

If you don't want opinions that may differ from the ones you actually want, don't post on a public board.[/quote]

She never asked anyone's opinion on spending her children's college fund.

[quote name='BetterLateThannever']Yes Sheri, I must admit I was really surprised at the number of people responding in this thread, that seem to have no qualms about vacationing without their spouse.

:)[/QUOTE]

I have 4 weeks of vacation and my DBF has only 2 weeks every year, if I follow what you said, I should stay home those 2 weeks? Sure, I LOVE to travel with DBF but he can't always come with me. When I see a travel deal, we talk about it. Sometimes we decide to go together, sometimes he says I can go by myself (or with a friend), sometimes we decide to pass up. Also, he goes on ATV/motor bike weekends without me sometimes and it's ok with me, other times I go with him on those weekends (depending on the milleage, type of roads to plan to take, etc.). If you and your spouse want to be together 24/7/365 good for you, but some couples have different interests and some involve travel. I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with which couples will last vs. what couples will fail; as long as the 2 persons are happy in the type of relationship, all is good.

Archived