Several Questions About The Summit

Dave4120

Hello...My wife and I have cruised RCCL 14 times, Princess 3 times and unfortunetly, Carnival twice.

We were planning on cruising Celebrity January 3, 2009 to the Southern Caribbean, in a CC category, Concierge Class cabin. Since we have never been on Celebrity, I had a few questions, I am hoping many of you can answer for me.

1...My first and most important questions is: Are both RCCL and Celebrity perks and cruise member status levels good on either cruise line? I thought I read last year, that if you were a Diamond member on RCCL, you could use that status for the same discounts, perks, Concierge Lounge etc., on Celebrity and vice versa. The answer to this plays a big part in our decision process.

2...Is there a Concierge Lounge or Service on The Summit like on the Radiance and Voyager class ships on RCCL.

3...Does anyone know if the "CC" category cabin...Concierge Class cabin come with upgraded mattresses, down pillows, duvet covers like some other cruise lines? I read on the Celebrity website that this cabin category, along with the suites have upgraded bedding.

4...Can anyone explain about the pod system of the ship. I heard it breaks down a lot. Does this type of system affect how smooth the ship feels compared to other ships systems? And if it goes down, is there anything to worry about?

5...Are there any plans before January 2009 for the Summit to go into dry dock? Many posts have indicated the ship is very worn and tired looking.

Otherwise, the deep woods of the ship and the quiet lounge areas are very appealing to us. Any information will help.

Thank-you

Dave

Hello...My wife and I have cruised RCCL 14 times, Princess 3 times and unfortunetly, Carnival twice.

We were planning on cruising Celebrity January 3, 2009 to the Southern Caribbean, in a CC category, Concierge Class cabin. Since we have never been on Celebrity, I had a few questions, I am hoping many of you can answer for me.

1...My first and most important questions is: Are both RCCL and Celebrity perks and cruise member status levels good on either cruise line? I thought I read last year, that if you were a Diamond member on RCCL, you could use that status for the same discounts, perks, Concierge Lounge etc., on Celebrity and vice versa. The answer to this plays a big part in our decision process.

2...Is there a Concierge Lounge or Service on The Summit like on the Radiance and Voyager class ships on RCCL.

3...Does anyone know if the "CC" category cabin...Concierge Class cabin come with upgraded mattresses, down pillows, duvet covers like some other cruise lines? I read on the Celebrity website that this cabin category, along with the suites have upgraded bedding.

4...Can anyone explain about the pod system of the ship. I heard it breaks down a lot. Does this type of system affect how smooth the ship feels compared to other ships systems? And if it goes down, is there anything to worry about?

5...Are there any plans before January 2009 for the Summit to go into dry dock? Many posts have indicated the ship is very worn and tired looking.

Otherwise, the deep woods of the ship and the quiet lounge areas are very appealing to us. Any information will help.

Thank-you

Dave

We're diamond on RCCL, too, and booked on the Summit for our first X cruise the week after you. The draw for us was the opportunity to go to Dominica and Bonaire, and return to Grenada. RCCL doesn't go to Dominica or Bonaire.

When we made our reservations, our TA got our Captain's Club number for us, at the Elite level. Not sure exactly what that gets us, though. Celebrity doesn't have a concierge lounge on any of its ships, and doesn't offer the same discount program (balcony discounts based on your level of C&A membership) as does RCL. From what I've read here, and in the brochures and on the web sites, RCL's repeaters perks are quite a bit better. If anyone has answers to those questions, I'd love to hear, too, although that isn't a make or break for us.

The Radiance class ships have pods, albeit made by a different manufacturer. I've read about the pod issues with the Millenium class ships, but those seem to be fairly well under control now?

Hello...My wife and I have cruised RCCL 14 times, Princess 3 times and unfortunately, Carnival twice.

Thank-you

Dave

1. Unknown.

2. Yes

3. I don't think it comes with them, but the rooms are very nice and you can request these items if you want.

4. The pod system is smooth. We had a blade hit a Iceberg at the Hubbard Glacier and they repaired it in Vancouver while we were in port. It was very interesting to watch. Damn those blades are big!

5. We were last on it in 2005. It was a very nice ship then. Now?

Roy.

we are diamond members and just returned from the Summit

our sailing does not count towards our cruises on RCL

We are consided elite on Celebrity

There is no special lounge for elite members-no free drinks or coffee which we did miss.

coupon book gave us 2 free speciality coffees but only when you book the specaility restarants

Coupon book was not nearly as good -things such as buy a bottle of wine get second one for 10 dollars off.

Celebrity does allow you to carry one 2 bottles of wine.

And carried wine in from 2 ports -did not try to hide it and was allowed to carry it on.

Over all diamond perks are much better on RCL-that being said we did love the Summit -service was amazing-and we are booked back to back on the Solstice next year

1. Whatever your loyalty level on RCI is will be you loyalty level on Celebrity. So if you are Diamond on RCI, you'll be Elite with Celebrity. But that is where the similarity ends. The perks are not the same. RCI offers far more when it comes to freebies and value for it repeat customers. Can't explain why RCI perks are so much better.

2. Celebrity ship do NOT have a concierge lounge and probably never will. They are too costly.

3. I'm not sure about the mattresses but you do have a choice of several different pillows in CC cabins.

4. All discussions on the M-class pods can be found in this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=519029. We ask that all discussions, questions and answers related to pods be kept within the thread above so please review that thread and post your pod questions there.

5. I'm not aware of any dry dock (some other folks might be) and I haven't sailed Summit for a few years (we've sailed her twice). But she was one of our very favorite ships of all time. Unless a ship is brand new, most show some signs of wear and tear.

Good luck with your decision and enjoy your cruise.

From what I was told, you will get Elite membership in the Captain's Club if you are a Platinum member or better in C&A. The only benefit I have seen so far is priority embarkation/disembarkation, and no charge for the first air deviation through X Air.

Summit is going into drydock after the TA that arrives in Southampton on April 10th.

To expand on Anne's comment, although the Summit is scheduled for dry dock in April, with the exception of a few cosmetic wrinkles, the ship has been kept in outstanding condition considering it is six years old. I just returned from it yesterday and was very impressed with the fact that it appeared to be in better shape than some ships that are only one or two years old. It's a testament to the officers and crew who keep it looking that good.

John

.... kept in outstanding condition considering it is six years old. I just returned from it yesterday and was very impressed with the fact that it appeared to be in better shape than some ships that are only one or two years old. ........John

This is good to know..... as we will be on her for the TA. Thanks lv.

OP.... Why worry so much about " will I have such and such a pillow " , " will I have a private elite lounge " , etc . It is my experience that it is possible on most ships to find private places all hours of the day or night. If you booked into a Hotel would your main reason for going there be what your "status " was ? Where you are going , what the ship's itinerary was, would be much more important to most people.

This is good to know..... as we will be on her for the TA. Thanks lv.

OP.... Why worry so much about " will I have such and such a pillow " , " will I have a private elite lounge " , etc . It is my experience that it is possible on most ships to find private places all hours of the day or night. If you booked into a Hotel would your main reason for going there be what your "status " was ? Where you are going , what the ship's itinerary was, would be much more important to most people.

I think one of the nicest perks on RCCL is the Concierge Lounge, which is what I think the op was referring to. Continental breakfast in a quiet setting in the morning, free drinks from, I believe, 5 to 8:30 P, every evening. The days dining room menus can be viewed here. Just a nice quiet place to get away from the crowds and relax.

Just my 2 cents.:)

Anne

To expand on Anne's comment, although the Summit is scheduled for dry dock in April, with the exception of a few cosmetic wrinkles, the ship has been kept in outstanding condition considering it is six years old. I just returned from it yesterday and was very impressed with the fact that it appeared to be in better shape than some ships that are only one or two years old. It's a testament to the officers and crew who keep it looking that good.

John

Hi John,

Thanks for your comments on the other thread regarding the condition of Summit. Makes me feel a little more comfortable about the TA. My only real concern is the dining room service, which seems to be hit or miss. Hopefully, over time, they will achieve the service levels we have come to expect from X.

Anne

Thanks so far to everyone who has posted very helpful and useful information.

To the Welsh Wizards...Your opinion is welcome, however, that is why I just post generalizations of our cruises. We all know what is important, good or bad to one couple is entirely different to someone else. The things you mentioned are indeed important, but to us, sleeping on some of the new bedding that ships are including is very important to us. I do not like sleeping on a rock solid bed and flat pillow. Yes, the Concierge Lounge is important to us on RCCL. It save us a few hundred dollars that we can use for other things on our trip.

In any event, thanks again to everyone. Hopefully more comments will be coming in.

Archived