HOL with kids?

decruzer

We have been only on Royal Caribbean and Carnival and we are looking at HOL for our next cruise. A few ? are do they have pools that the kids would have fun at, they will be 10 and 13, they do not like to go into the kids groups, like to stay together as a family. Also do they have the pool parties with the bands playing. Any information would be great!

We have been only on Royal Caribbean and Carnival and we are looking at HOL for our next cruise. A few ? are do they have pools that the kids would have fun at, they will be 10 and 13, they do not like to go into the kids groups, like to stay together as a family. Also do they have the pool parties with the bands playing. Any information would be great!

Just got off the Westerdam and it was NOT geared for kids. We saw very few and they looked real bored.

I think it depends upon the time of the year you sail on any cruise line. If you sail on a holiday week when kids are out of school, your chances of having more children onboard are greater than if its a week when schools are all in session.

I have sailed with my entire family twice in the past when schools were out for vacation. While there weren't alot of kids onboard, there were enough to keep the kids we had with us having a wonderful time. We had kids with us from ages 5 - 17, they all had a blast and loved Club HAL.

What the kids told us was they enjoyed Club HAL so much because there are not alot of kids there and the counsellors really have time to spend with them and made them feel special. Some of the older kids still keep in contact through e-mail with others the met onboard.

I hope this helps.

We too were CCL and RCCL cruisers. My daughters are now 15 and 10. 2 years ago we decided to try the Oosterdam out of San Diego on a Mex Riv cruise. My youngest likes to go to the clubs, the oldest likes to hang with us. We were in a SA suite with the use of the Neptune. Needless to say, It was their favorite cruise to date (6 total) They loved that the pools are fresh water, The young one liked the clubs because they were not as crowded. We are booked on the Westy this March for another HAL cruise, Kids cant wait.. (neither can we!)

Just got off the Westerdam and it was NOT geared for kids. We saw very few and they looked real bored.

On our Zuiderdam cruise last Feb., we didn't see more than a dozen kids...from babies to older teens. Our kids have told us they'd not enjoy this cruise, and we believe them. We've done Carnival with them and they had a ball. Lots of things to do, if you want, and lots of other kids. I think our kids would have been fine with HAL when they were younger, after all, all they really need is one or two other little friends to pal around with, but not as teenagers.

We've talked about taking the kids (and their kids-when they have them), on a Disney or RCCL cruise. Everyone agrees that they'd like to do that.

I'm not sure I'm gonna be any more help then the other posters. On our Alaska Noordam trip in late August of last year, I didn't see too many kids. Of course it was the start of the school season.

There was a sail away party with a band by the pool. The area was packed. I don't think there were any slides or anything "kid" orientated by the pool. A couple of scuplutes spewing water I think and 2 hot tubs.

There is an adult only pool at the other end which is where we hung out. But I did have work through the family pool area to get to the spa. I don't recall seeing any bands out there during those times. That just could have been the times I was walking through.

I saw a number of families taking advantage of the ping pong tables by the pool.

We didn't take our DDs with us on the trip, nor are we taking them on our upcaming one on HAL. We do have a family cruise planned with them (17 & 20 year olds) on Royal Carribean in October. We thought RCL would be a better much for them.

we are leaving on the westerdam on sunday - if we can get out of snowy milwaukee- but we called and they said we had about 50 kids on board from babies to teens - they gave me the excact numbers I was so suprised - but it is presidents week and maybe that is why there are more - we have said RCCL and Disney - I will post what we thought when we return - just hope that the snow stops for awhile so we can get out of here!!!!

We have done 14 Princess cruises and 2 HAL cruises. On the first HAL cruise my daughter hated the kids program because she was 12 yrs. 11 mos. They made her stay in the 7-12 program rather than the teenage group. This Christmas we tried again. My daughter loved it. The Oasis was fabulous and she had a wonderful time, in fact we have already booked HAL for next holiday season.

I just sailed on the Westerdam with two teens - 13 and 16. They loved the cruise. Because there weren't a lot of kids on the sailing the crew really went out of their way to make them feel special. My kids enjoyed a lot of the activities and the shows at night. They were never bored. They did not participate in the Club Hal activities because they were always busy doing something else.

HAL is not as kid friendly as some lines, but there will be things for them to do and a kids program. If it were my kids, I would be more inclined to choose another line. On the other hand, as you can see from the comments, lots of families really enjoy HAL> If you are cruising during spring break or mid summer it doesn't make any difference what line you choose, the ship will have plenty of kids.

Nita

I've asked in the past and have been told by HAL - they even broke it down into the age groups for me. That's always been when I was cruising with my son though, so maybe they only answer that question for people checking to see how many kids their kid might meet?? I'd try again - and if you find out how many are on our cruise, let me know. I won't have my son this time (he's 21 now anyway), but I'm curious.

Sue/WDW1972

Veendam 3/09/08

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering what activities are onboard for children. I will traveling with my husband, 2 boys age 11, my parents, brother, sister in-law, nephews 6 and 15. We are going on the Eurodam Nov 1. The kids all have off school on Nov 6 & Nov 7 (teacher's convention). I hope the children all have fun. I know there are more children activities on RCCL. We actually were going on a RCCL the same week, but I found out the ship was hosting a biker's convention onboard, so I decided on the Eurodam. I actually like the ports better and know everyone will have fun, but wondering what there is to do on the ship.

Hi njtwinmon,

I will be on the Eudodam 11/1 also. Glad to know there will be some kids. I will be with my husband, son 9, daughter 7, my parents and brother. My kids don't like large groups of kids, but like to make a few friends. Your twins and nephew sound great. I wouldn't think there would be too many kids due to the time of year.

Wendy:)

During our recent HAL cruise, there were no "parties" by the pool which were geared to kids. The pool "events" were definitely geared to adults or older kids. Occasionally there was music by the pool, but nothing like what you would find on Princess which seems to cater much more to kids.

Ours was only a 7 day cruise from San Diego, but there were still very few kids aboard.

Archived