LIVE Report of the Yum Yum Man Worshippers Cruise on the Oosterdam 2-9-08

LAFFNVEGAS

Sean, I hate to admit this but I got bets that all the decks above us on the aft questioned the sanity of all the Yummers:eek: :D

As we were departing the ship, we got in an elevator with a couple who had a cabin on aft 6. THey laughed and mentioned that we all sure looked like we were have a great time and would have loved to have been with us!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Just received our cabin assignment for our 3/22 cruise and were assigned 5186, an aft SC. I see some of you had that cabin. Can you tell me anything about it, or photos would be great! Was there a lot of motion, husband gets seasick? Is this one of the cabins with the big balcony? Would appreciate any insight!

LL

Hi. Just received our cabin assignment for our 3/22 cruise and were assigned 5186, an aft SC. I see some of you had that cabin. Can you tell me anything about it, or photos would be great! Was there a lot of motion, husband gets seasick? Is this one of the cabins with the big balcony? Would appreciate any insight!

LL

Congratulations I think that is a great cabin. Of the corner aft cabins the deck 5 on the Oosterdam is the largest cabin and balcony. Now I will say that YES there is a bit more motion in the aft. You almost tend to get a bit of a fishtail effect with the ship is a full speed. It is really hard to predict what the seas will be for you cruise. We have doine the Mexican Riviera and not felt a thing in the aft and then we have had a few cruises where it was an E Ride at Disneyland. But the views of the Wake from the aft are breath taking and if you have great weather you will so enjoy having that huge verandah. I highly recommend for your DH's motion sickness to get some Bonine and for him to start to take in 24 hours before the cruise to get it into his system. I actually suffer from motion sickness myself and found as long as I do not have a empty stomach and I take my Bonine I am fine :)

For pictures I was in the opposite corner and have had that cabin several times. You can click on my Web Shots link in my signature and go to some of my older cruises from the Oosterdam. Some of the best pictures were taken back in October 2005. Which was the first time we were in the cabin. http://travel.webshots.com/myphotos?action=refreshPhotos&albumID=478479805&security=BLMqwU

We have been in 5187 numerous time since.:)

Great photos! Thanks a lot. Did you use the Neptune much from that cabin or did you find it easier to just get room service? How were the room stewards? I'll make sure my husband takes the bonine 24 hrs prior. He always takes it about an hour before, but maybe it will work better if it gets in his system earlier.

Do you know how much smaller 5186 is than the SA cabins? I can't find the square footage! Sorry to be a pest, but how was your steward?

LL

I am sorry but I do not know how much smaller 5186 is, part of the problem when you do find the sq ft for that cabin it includes the verandah and that is a huge verandah. I can tell you that it definitely is not as wide but could be a bit longer because it takes more steps to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night than a mid ship S Suite:D

Lisa, what is that fabulous looking dessert in your pictures from the Pinnacle Grill? I've always had the chocolate volcano, but that looks yummy and something DH would like.

Carol, I actually prefer the Trio of Creme Brulee over the Volcano Cake:)

Sorry to jump into this thread, and I didn't read all the pages, so my apologies if this has been answered, but what the heck is a yum yum man worshiper?

Briefly, the young man who stands outside the dining room and gives out mints, ginger, etc has been called the Yum Yum Man for years by HAL pax.

This cruise was the brainchild of Lisa and a couple of friends on a cruise a year ago. They thought we could "worship" the Yum Yum man as a reason for a gathering of friends to cruise together.... thus the thing just grew!

We began calling ourselves "YUMMERS" as a take off on the cruise name. The brother of one of the cruisers called us that and the name stuck!

What a great group of people! What a fabulous week!

Archived