Be AWARE - Vancouver Sailings and Canadian Port Calls!!!

bepsf

This could get very ugly, so I would like to just say that there problems on both sides of the borders that need to be addressed to correct them.

So like I said Rev., I hope you have a great cruise and will be looking forward to meeting you Nov. 2005 and but not to discuss this problem though.

This could get very ugly, so I would like to just say that there problems on both sides of the borders that need to be addressed to correct them.

So like I said Rev., I hope you have a great cruise and will be looking forward to meeting you Nov. 2005 and but not to discuss this problem though.

Agreed ... absolutely agreed. :D

:)

But it was your Canadian Customs/Immigration people that let them into Canada, from whence they can cross over into the US along our VERY long and mostly unwatched boarder.

If they have felony convictions on their record then they don't get into Canada. Without a felony conviction, they can come directly from Saudi into the US.

-dave

You mean they will not be admitted to Canada if they ADMIT to felony convictions, (by the way, a first DUI is not a felony in most US states) or if they have a record that can be easily tracked by computer, both of which are not probable unless they have a very serious record.

I will be curious to see what happens if/when Quebec decides to withdraw from the Canadian Union and form an independent nation. Will the rest of Canada -- particularly the Western Provinces -- petition for statehood in the USA? I've heard lots of discussion about this, but am curious as to what some Canadians here have to say.

I can guarantee you that the rest of Canada has absolutely no interest in joining the U.S. That one comes out once in a while but it's usually started in the U.S. Never going to happen.

Mind you, Quebec is never going to leave Canada either. It can't do without the money it gets from the rest of Canada. They just bleat a lot.

Marilyn

Hmmmm. If Canada is so vigilant and strict about DUI's on U.S. tourists' drivers licenses let's hope their enthusiasm for law and order carries over to keeping the terrorists from coming over their border into the United States.

As much as I don't want to see terrorists in this or any other country, I would just like to point out that it's U.S. Customs that allow terrorists or anyone else in the U.S. Canada has no say in who goes into the State.

It's been much longer, though, that a 30-year old felony has kept visitors out of the US. Reciprocity has a lot to answer for!

-dave

dave-

You are so right. Let's not blast our neighbors to the North... I have found them to be alot more lenient, open and forward thinking... JMOI :)

I can guarantee you that the rest of Canada has absolutely no interest in joining the U.S. That one comes out once in a while but it's usually started in the U.S. Never going to happen.

Well ... it was brought up during dinner by a couple of Albertans on a HAL cruise about 10 years ago. They were quizzing me about US laws governing admission of new states. Based upon the totality of the discussion it was entirely hypothetical ... not really serious, but curious as to the broadest range of options that MIGHT be available.

Mind you, Quebec is never going to leave Canada either. It can't do without the money it gets from the rest of Canada. They just bleat a lot.

Can the rest of Canada survive, as Canada, with the 7.5 million people of its second most-populous Province? I would imagine you could, but my friends from Alberta were speculating what might happen if Quebec's leaving were to occasion other Provinces to leave. Utterly, totally, and completely hypothetical ... about like California withdrawing from the USA to form an independent nation.

Alison-

You are so right there... it's all about oil, and oh yes, Halliburton.. but I will refrain from politics on these boards.... :)

Yep, who needs all that nasty oil? Heck HAL can just start issuing all the passengers a pair of oars when they embark.

Heck HAL can just start issuing all the passengers a pair of oars when they embark.

;) What do you mean "start"? All you "suite" passengers may not realize this, but they've been handing out oars to all us inside-cabin passengers for years now!!!!! ;) :D

hehehe

;)

;) What do you mean "start"? All you "suite" passengers may not realize this, but they've been handing out oars to all us inside-cabin passengers for years now!!!!! ;) :D

hehehe

;)

i thought it looked like the lower row of portholes could be removed and fitted with oarlocks.

Stroke....Stroke....Stroke

i thought it looked like the lower row of portholes could be removed and fitted with oarlocks.

Stroke....Stroke....Stroke

Remember Ben Hur?

"Battle Speed!"

WHUMP WHUMP WHUMP

"Ramming Speed!"

whumpwhumpwhumpwhumpwhumpwhumpwhump!

That's us!

And you only thought that vibration came from the engines!

Remember Ben Hur?

"Battle Speed!"

WHUMP WHUMP WHUMP

"Ramming Speed!"

whumpwhumpwhumpwhumpwhumpwhumpwhump!

That's us!

And you only thought that vibration came from the engines!

Hope you've been working out on the rowing machine in the gym. You're gonna have a lot of rowing to do, not to mention manually pumping the water in/out of the locks.

Have a great cruise

I say GOOD FOR CANADA! It's nice to see they take drunk driving so seriously. I wish the U.S. could find a way to KICK drunk drivers out of the country!

But I don't understand how the Canadian immigration would ever know you have a drunk driving conviction if you are simply leaving the ship temporarily in port and not permanently disembarking. It has been a couple of years since I've been on a cruise that stopped in Canada, but the last time I was, I don't remember being asked for a driver's license just to leave the ship for the day in port. And couldn't those with a conviction simply use a passport, or even a State issued I.D. card as identification?

Archived