Hotel Near Portside Wharf / CBD

Kiwi Kid

Hi CC's - hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Flying to Brisbane from Auckland in May for N821 on Pacific Sun. Trying to find nice 3-4 star accommodation as want to shop day before departure (about 3-4 hrs to hit Myers, Target etc), and maybe a couple the next morning. Tried Portside's website, Google, etc but hopefully someone with local knowledge can help. Don't want to spend a fortune on taxi's, so would prefer walking distance to shops. My husband did suggest I couldn't do much shopping as I could only bring back 20kg, but pointed out P&O don't weight your bags - thank goodness!! You should have seen his face when he realised his credit card was going to take a hiding!:eek:

Will probably book via Wotif or similar 3 weeks prior, but I'd like to know what I'm looking for! All suggestions welcomed.

:)

Jo

There are no big shops anywhere near Portside. Maybe you could stay in a hotel near the CBD where you can walk to Myers, Target etc, then get a taxi on the day the ship is leaving. You could even have another go at the shops that morning! It would only be a 15 minute taxi trip to Portside from the city area. If you do a lot of shopping, or have a group of people you can book a maxi taxi. This will cost more, but be cheaper than two normal taxis.

One suggestion for a hotel is Royal on the Park on the corner of Alice and Albert Streets. Phone (07) 3221 3411, fax (07) 3229 9817. It is a very nice 4 and a half star hotel directly opposite the Botanic Gardens and the river. It is less than 10 minutes walk to the Myer Centre. One of the people posting on this website got a good price on this hotel a few days ago.

Another suggestion is Explorers Inns, corner of George & Turbot Sts. 3 star. This one is a lot cheaper than the Royal on the Park and is still not too far from the shops (about the same distance as the Royal on the Park, but in the other direction). (07) 3211 3488 fax (07) 3211 3499. email: stay@explorers.com.au Website: http://www.explorers.co.au A notation on this hotel says 'Auto Club members receive best rate available plus free continental breakfast daily'.

Hope this helps. :)

Hi Jo

I stayed at Royal on the park and itwas fantastic!It is only minutes walk to the shops. I got it thru secret deal on wotif for $150 with full brekkie included! Not far in cab to big boat only $20 I am going to stay there again in a few months when i go there just to shop!

luv Icy:D

another option is you could use a river cat service ( local Ferry) to get to & from the city so you could either star local near portside or stay in the city. there is a rivercat warf near portside

cheers

Mark

The reason I didn't suggest staying in the city and using the rivercat to board the ship is that the rivercat stop is still a distance from portside and a person would have to get their luggage on to and off the rivercat, then cart it all to the portside check-in. If they didn't mind walking with their luggage about a kilometre at each end, it could work.

Other option of staying near portside and taking the rivercat to the city involves extra bother to and from the shops. There are a few pretty ordinary motels within walking distance of Portside, but (once again) a kilometre from the rivercat jetty (according to my map).

Over to Jo to decide what suits them.:):)

I knew you guys would come through!! Appreciate the suggestions - had seen the "secret" Wotif deal at Royal on the Park in another posting but current rates offered were a little more than I wanted to pay. Given that the cruise itself is only A$445 twin share, at A$200 for a night, incl. breakfast, you can probably appreciate my mentality!!

If anyone else would like to add their picks, feel free!

Cheers

Jo

Hi Jo

I am currently looking into overnight accommodation near Portside before our Christmas cruise so may be able to help. I understand Airport Motel and Kingsford Smith Motel are only a few minutes walk away although how difficult that would be with all your shopping I don't know!;) They are about $125.00 for a double. I am also looking at Airport 85 which I believe is about a $10.00 taxi to Portside but the rate includes continental breakfast. As there are 4 of us we are looking at around $155.00. I am still trying to decide whether we can manage the luggage for the walk or are better staying at Airport 85 and getting the taxi. Decisions, decisions!!!

If anyone has stayed or knows any of these some advise would be greatly appreciated.

$445.00 for a twin share - what a bargain - lucky you!!!

Lesley

Hi Jo

I am currently looking into overnight accommodation near Portside before our Christmas cruise so may be able to help. I understand Airport Motel and Kingsford Smith Motel are only a few minutes walk away although how difficult that would be with all your shopping I don't know!;) They are about $125.00 for a double. I am also looking at Airport 85 which I believe is about a $10.00 taxi to Portside but the rate includes continental breakfast. As there are 4 of us we are looking at around $155.00. I am still trying to decide whether we can manage the luggage for the walk or are better staying at Airport 85 and getting the taxi. Decisions, decisions!!!

If anyone has stayed or knows any of these some advise would be greatly appreciated.

Lesley

Is this Lesley from TA fame?? I just spent the weekend with Cathy and Gary and Tiff and Jubby in Surfers:p I have the same user name as TA

Chez

xx

Hi Chez

Yes it's Lesley from TA - don't know about the fame bit though!!!! You've got a good memory to recognise my name from that long ago although I guess us Adelaidians did hog the forum for a while there! ;)

I remember Cathy & Gary from our Adelaide get together but not sure of the other people. Do you know that Reet is back there again for 6 weeks and doing another travelblog?

We were really hoping to go back to Thailand again this year but ended up deciding on the cruise so we could take the boys as well. It would break the bank totally taking them to Phuket at Christmas, which is the only time we can get there.

Now really excited about the cruise and so pleased there's a forum just for cruises! Would have been awful not to have somewhere/someone to share the excitement. L.O.L.

Have enjoyed your reviews - so many cruises and what a fantastic one you've got coming up.

Lesley

xxx

PS. I have seen mention somewhere of your "secret balcony" on the Sun Princess. Is this you that knows or is it another Chez? I'm taking my Mum on a 3 night to Auckland in July for her 70th so would love to know where to look.

What a "small" world!! Last year I was a regular on TA under "smalljo" and got invaluable advice from Cathy & Gary, Reet and the mob.

Must confess after experiencing cruising I'm hooked - unpack once, no waiting for hours to board your plane, no luggage restrictions - the list goes on! In an ideal world I'd be cruising to fantastic shopping destinations - but at $445 for this one, didn't care if it just circled Brisbane harbour!

Jo

Hi Jo and Lesley,

Yes, Jo, I remember you on the Phuket forum, think you went around the same time as we did. Great to see you both over here on CC:)

Lesley,I have been keeping up with Reets latest adventures, so funny!!

We cruised from Brisbane in November last year, but cant help on accommodation as we flew straight in and out, but I am sure you will get the answers you are looking for. Sarah from Townsville is on a cruise now and stayed somewhere close to Portside, so may have some info in her reveiw.

Chez

xx

Hi Chez

PS. I have seen mention somewhere of your "secret balcony" on the Sun Princess. Is this you that knows or is it another Chez? I'm taking my Mum on a 3 night to Auckland in July for her 70th so would love to know where to look.

All the way forward on Aloha, Baja & Caribe decks, there is a viewing deck that spans the width of the ship. It is possible to go the whole cruise without realising they are there. Have called the Baja deck one Chez's balcony for a while, as she will have a cabin nearby on her Dawn Princess cruise.

See how few people are using for arival under the Harbour bridge on 28th Dec

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2477759810101343478NDtThi?vhost=travel

Thanks Geoff, I did put a post on re the deck but it dissappeared:confused:

Thanks for the pic you sent Geoff, can you post that one here too??

Lesley, the next two cruises I have booked inside cabins with access to forward and rear decks. Inside on a high deck is mostly cheaper than an outside on a lower deck. I dont mind inside cabins, and would rather have access to a large veiwing deck. but thats just me......I am known to book the cheapest cabin and hope for an upgrade:p ;)

Chez

xx

Hi

Yes it is a small world Chez & Jo and from the looks of it there is just as much good advice on this forum as there was on TA. Just a pity there's no Friday night BBQ and a Sunshine Bar:D

Have to ask Jo, where you got such a bargain fare - are you allowed to give hints on here and was that $AUD or $NZ? I know the Sun relocation ones have some good prices but the best I have seen for the one you are doing was $695 and I thought that excellent for a twin share.

Thanks so much "Donny" for the info about the balconies as well as the pics - will definitely check them out. Do you still do Puppy Love - that was my favourite!!! :rolleyes:

Lesley

Hi Jo

Lesley

Any of the ones on Kingsford Smith Drive in Hamilton would be good - they're close to the Wharf and only a short bus or ferry trip into the City for Shopping.

The Kingsford Smith Motel is probably the newest in the area and I think it's also the closest to Portside The Airport Motel is ok too. There are plenty of good properties in the city too - some of the Oaks properties are pretty well priced for an apartment style room. I think you'll get better quality for your money in the City and then catch the City Cat or a taxi to the wharf.

I would opt for accommodation near the centre of the city. I suggest the Explorers Inns that is quoted in the directory as $99-$129. Not bad for the centre of the city. There would be very few motels near enough to Portside for you not to need a taxi and you would be paying the same amount anyway. If you stay there you will waste a fair bit of time travelling to and from the shops. If you stay near the centre of town you can hit the shops even on the morning before going to the ship in the middle of the day. You will only need a taxi once. That's my tuppence worth.:)

It might sound a bit odd, but although I have lived in Brisbane for over 20 years I have only limited first hand experience on this city's hotels. What I do have is at the Sofitel and Novatel which are very well located and are excellent 4* properties. I usually have someone else picking up the tab so hard to comment on value.

However, I do know that one of my organisation's directors told me once that at one time he was forced to stay at the Explorers Inn and hated it. This property is also on a main connecting road (Turbot Street) and would be extremely noisy all the time.

I have had friends from Sydney that have stayed at the Ibis and the Mercure (both at North Quay) and they have highly recommeneded these.

Another recommended property is the Carlton

All in all, for just one nights stay, why not pay an extra couple of bucks and not be disappointed. Do a Google search and you will find some value - esp if you can wait up until inside a month. Don't be swayed by the hotels on the hill - it can be quite an exhausting walk back - especially with a load of shopping !

There are a couple of motels not far from Portside but there is nothing else there of shopping interest.

cheers

Hi

Yes it is a small world Chez & Jo and from the looks of it there is just as much good advice on this forum as there was on TA. Just a pity there's no Friday night BBQ and a Sunshine Bar:D

Have to ask Jo, where you got such a bargain fare - are you allowed to give hints on here and was that $AUD or $NZ? I know the Sun relocation ones have some good prices but the best I have seen for the one you are doing was $695 and I thought that excellent for a twin share.

Lesley

Leslie - Got to agree on the Sunshine Bar & BBQ - but there's plenty of other free activities like horse racing, Trivia and the likes!

I'm always cruising for a bargain "down under" - which appears to be the same place you do. For 1 day only they had A$445, then $495, $535, $595 to current price of $695 - which is still less than $100 per day. There are 16 of us going - hard to say no at that price.

To everyone else for their advice - thanks!

Jo

Lesley,send me an email at cherylab at tpg dot com dot au, I may be able to help you with some cruising info.

Jo, did you stay at Kata Palm? or have I got the wrong Jo:rolleyes:

Yes, the Sunshine bar and Friday night BBQ were great, and dont forget the Elephant rehab......or whatever they call it now, I think that debate is still going on:eek:

Chez

xx

• 6 months later...

Thought I would re-hash this thread to ask similar questions for our brief stay in Brissie next June, prior to our 2 nighter on Dawn Princess back to Sydney.

We are looking at some hotels near to Brett's Wharf, off Kingsford Smith dve. By staying close to Brett's Wharf it is a cheaper taxi fare from the airport than to the city, but an easy spot to get a River Cat for some city browsing.

A look at Google satellite has shown some hotels that are closer to Portside than Kingsford Smith Motel, but I have not heard discussion on them. Does anyone have experience or info regarding these Hamilton hotels?

Hamilton Motor Inn

Airolodge International

Quality Hotel Airport International

Hamilton Hacienda

Riverview Hotel

Airport Motel

There appears to be a riverfront walk from Brett's Wharf to Portside. Is it possible to take this walk all the way to the cruise terminal and drop luggage easily while a ship is in, or do you need to detour to the nearby streets? If we can take this walk, it looks like Hamilton Motor Inn is best located.

I would appreciate your thoughts & experiences.

I have stayed at the Aerolodge on Kingsford Smith Drive...4 star and very good...have booked again for the 19th...only took a couple of minutes to walk to portside.

Kaz

Thanks SS Kaz,

Will you be swimming across the river to meet up with the Pirate King?

Archived