Mariner Society Advertising

Texas Tillie

I'm new to HAL - one cruise last summer in Alaska on the Volendam, so I don't know if this is "normal" or if HAL is having to advertise more than they have in the past. I'm getting at least 3 e-mails each week. Today I got three different mailings in snail mail from HAL. I've gotten at least one snail mail every week since the first of the year. What does this mean? Or, does it mean anything?

I'm new to HAL - one cruise last summer in Alaska on the Volendam, so I don't know if this is "normal" or if HAL is having to advertise more than they have in the past. I'm getting at least 3 e-mails each week. Today I got three different mailings in snail mail from HAL. I've gotten at least one snail mail every week since the first of the year. What does this mean? Or, does it mean anything?

I honestly haven't gotten that much mail from HAL recently ... but I'm getting bombarded with Princess advertisements both in my email queue and snail mail. Seems everyday I get at least one brochure from Princess.

Maybe HAL realizes I have two big cruises booked, and probably wouldn't be interested in any others, and thus aren't sending as many promos to me?

Blue skies ...

--rita

We are receiving 3-5 a week from HAL and all appear to be Europe or the Med. Must have misjudged demand or pricing.

If they were sailing out of San Francisco, they would all be fully booked IMHO. Some of us are just sick and tired of flying and the associated hassle.

Gary

One man's junkmail is another man's treasure. It's so fun to dream of vacations to come... plus you never know what hot deal you'll find.

Am I the only one who gets excited to see Holland America in their mailbox?

:D Apparently you didn't see my post. ;)

I'll repost........

I think it means FUN. I am always happy to find HAL 'in my mailbox'.....be it snail or e-mail. I LOVE mail from HAL.

I get the emails and snail mails all the time. Here's my story about the "Special Deals" found in the brochures. We booked our New Year's cruise through AMEX. Shortly thereafter I received one of HAL's lovely brochures that had a much lower price for the Deluxe Veranda Suite I had booked. I called my TA who, in turn, contacted HAL. Of course she was told that the "Special" rates were all gone and had been for several weeks -- before I had even received my brochure!

Has anyone ever been able to book one of those special rates after the brochure arrives?

Doug

I get the emails and snail mails all the time. Here's my story about the "Special Deals" found in the brochures. We booked our New Year's cruise through AMEX. Shortly thereafter I received one of HAL's lovely brochures that had a much lower price for the Deluxe Veranda Suite I had booked. I called my TA who, in turn, contacted HAL. Of course she was told that the "Special" rates were all gone and had been for several weeks -- before I had even received my brochure!

Has anyone ever been able to book one of those special rates after the brochure arrives?

Doug

Yes, we have.

A few times, we saw we were booked on a cruise included in the 'special listings' and our TA got the reduced rate for us...... in our Deluxe Veranda Suite.

I notice that most of the recent specials exclude Deluxe Veranda Suites. The 'handy dandy' some restrictions apply verbage is dragged out when they want to make certain categories of cabins ineligible.

Our HAL snail-mail seems to come in bursts - 3 to 5 a week (sometimes 2 in the same mail) for a while, then nothing for a while. I think we've only gotten maybe 3 in the last two months. Plus some Princess things that say "Please come back" ... and we've never sailed them!

Hello everybody,

HAL did never communicate with us:rolleyes:

I am always surprised to hear at this board about Hal’s E-Mail posts, and I really would like to understand this.

What is actually the "system" of Hal , or what is the internal order by HAL.

We are cruising with Hal since 11 years, do have more then 100 marvelous days on those HAL vessels, but we never received anything from HAL.

No advertising, no questionnaire, not E-Brochure – absolutely nothing….

So could some one tell me, what is the trick – where is the reason of luckiness to get them ??

Happy cruising

Anna and Gerd

Our marvelous cruises :

MS Ryndam – Wayfarer – March 1997

MS Noordam - Transatlantic Island Hook - April 2001

MS Volendam - Southern Caribbean - April 2002

MS Volendam - Westfarer Caribbean - April 2004

MS Prinsendam - Windmills & Waterford – September 2004

MS Westerdam - Western Caribbean - April 2005

MS Statendam - Hawaii Circle - September 2005

MS Rotterdam - Vikings and Czars – July 2006

MS Veendam - Southern Caribbean – March 2007

106 days - 29'683 Nm

Future Cruise :

=>> MS Volendam, April 1st 2008

event.png

Gerd, I don't think it's just you. When I book a cruise with HAL, I see an immediate and noticable reduction in the amount of mail I receive from them (doesn't seem to impact the Princess mail I get, even though I've never sailed with them).

Maybe they just send mail to unbooked people on their rolls - perhaps to save money and paper. I saw a huge drop off in my HAL-mail after booking my upcoming Asia cruise.

Also, are you signed up to receive specials through their website? On the new site it's a bit harder to find... but here's a link. There is then a button on the right that says something about "cruise specials" that you can request.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-destinations/european-cruises-options

How funny that we are asking for even more mail! lol

Happy travels,

anchorage1977

Don't know the answer to your question...but I do know...I always look forward to emails from HAL!

I never get emails from HAL, except a thank you after booking. I get emails at work from Princess all the time. Even got a birthday greeting from them last month, and I haven't sailed with Princess since 1978. Maybe I made a big impression in those Love Boat days........

Mrs Muir

Hello everybody,

I am always surprised to hear at this board about Hal’s E-Mail posts, and I really would like to understand this.:confused:

What is actually the "system" in Seattle , or what is the given order by HAL to do so ??:mad:

We are cruising with Hal since 11 years, we are very soon on our tenths HAL cruise, and do have already more then 100 marvelous days on those HAL vessels, But we never received anything from HAL. No thank you after booking, no advertising, no questionnaires, no E-Brochures – absolutely nothing….:(

So could some one please tell me, what is the trick – where is the source or the reason of luckiness to get them ??

Happy cruising

Anna and Gerd

Our marvelous cruises :

MS Ryndam – Wayfarer – March 1997

MS Noordam - Transatlantic Island Hook - April 2001

MS Volendam - Southern Caribbean - April 2002

MS Volendam - Westfarer Caribbean - April 2004

MS Prinsendam - Windmills & Waterford – September 2004

MS Westerdam - Western Caribbean - April 2005

MS Statendam - Hawaii Circle - September 2005

MS Rotterdam - Vikings and Czars – July 2006

MS Veendam - Southern Caribbean – March 2007

106 days - 29'683 Nm

Future Cruise :

=>> MS Volendam, April 1st 2008

event.png

So could some one please tell me, what is the trick – where is the source or the reason of luckiness to get them ??

It may be that they simply don't want to pay the postage to ship them to France, or it may be as someone else suggested that they think they would have to send things written in French, and they don't have them. I suggest you go to the HAL site, go to the bottom and click Contact Us, then send your question to the attention of the Mariner Society. :)

Archived