cold! cold! cold! on Hollard and Princess

rikki11

Am I the only one!! I am usually hot everywhere, but we cruise both Princess and Holland and it is so cold onboard.So much so that it messes up my clothing choices I usually end up wearing a warm up the whole time on board.Whatever the climate outside and formal nights I think I need a fur coat

No, you're not the only one. I'm in the same boat, lol! I choose these great summery outfits to wear to dinners on board and then have to put a frompy sweater over them to stay somewhat comfy. I haven't found a good solution to this problem so far. Formal night is a problem, as well, because I'm not wearing long sleeves on a Caribbean cruise, so I wear a shawl but it's just not enough to keep me warm. Once on a Carnival cruise I was so cold after dinner I got desperate and put a sweatshirt on......on what a look THAT was! It was either that or ruin my whole evening. Bon voyage!

We too live in Tucson (SaddleBrooke to be specific) and I have always been cold in the public rooms on all cruise ships (we've been on 12). So I always pack fancy sweaters. In addition to living in "God's Country", and therefore being acclimated to warmer temperatures, I found out I have a thyroid problem and am taking supplements now, so hopefully that will warm me up a little for this next one. Actually, it seems like the Island Princess is a little less "arctic" than most. But we still shut down the air conditioning in the cabin the minute we move in...:D

We too live in Tucson (SaddleBrooke to be specific) and I have always been cold in the public rooms on all cruise ships (we've been on 12). So I always pack fancy sweaters. In addition to living in "God's Country", and therefore being acclimated to warmer temperatures, I found out I have a thyroid problem and am taking supplements now, so hopefully that will warm me up a little for this next one. Actually, it seems like the Island Princess is a little less "arctic" than most. But we still shut down the air conditioning in the cabin the minute we move in...:D

I can't believe it we are Saddlebrooke also and we will be taking the same cruise just ahead of you

• 1 year later...

I don't have that problem as I'm usually warm, but what about a summer suit? Either an actual suit (skirt, shell, jacket) or a sheath dress with jacket over it. I have a St. John Evenings suit I wore on an Alaska cruise- if I got warm inside, I could take the jacket off (had a sleeveless shell) but if I needed the warmth, the jacket was lovely. There are many outfits designed with sleeveless/short sleeve underneath and a longsleeve jacket/bolero to be worn on top - since you know you need the warmth, plan the entire outfit ahead, not just a coverup sweater:D

I'm always cold also. I especially hate on formal night when I get goosebumps on my legs and my freshly shaven legs are no longer smooth!

Since I'm home sick from work today (pink eye), I'm going to shop online for some new long-sleeve tops for the fall & for my Nov cruise.

Ooh! <makes a note to travel Holland America and Princess>

I'm usually too warm and I feel more comfortable covered up a bit, so this is great news! Great for the suit-wearing men, too.

There are tricks, though, to keeping a shawl on. You can add little clear snaps to the edges of your dress and your shawl. Allow a little drape in the back and you can even expose your shoulders. If you don't want snaps, you can get two small matching brooches. You can also put the shawl around your shoulders and use a lovely brooch to pin it together on one shoulder. My shawls tend to be thin, which works for me because they are for coverage, rather than warmth, but there are warm versions out there. And dare I suggest sheer sandlefoot hose with lycra? (Pantyhose keep hockey players warm with low bulk) Anything like that will trap your body heat better, so things like spanks, even if you don't need them for support, are useful for keeping you warm. How about opera gloves? You can still get them in kid, either new and expensive or vintage.

And I feel that cruise ships used to have "too cold air conditioning", but I feel that they have cut back. Now I have to bring a small fan with me for the room...it nevers gets cool enough!! :(

Or is it just because I am of a certain age? :)

And I feel that cruise ships used to have "too cold air conditioning", but I feel that they have cut back. Now I have to bring a small fan with me for the room...it nevers gets cool enough!! :(

Or is it just because I am of a certain age? :)

My friends and I affectionately call our little fans "menopause fans."

I'm laughing right now, revisiting memories of our last cruise. My best friend brought her small parka. No kidding, the kind with the fur around the hood, and wore it to dinner one evening. We were laughing so hard that night, as here we were in the Caribbean and she's wearing a parka! Looking back, I'm surprised she even thought about bringing it along!! lol lol lol lol!!

No you're not the only one who feels the chill on ships!

No, you're not the only one. I'm in the same boat, lol! I choose these great summery outfits to wear to dinners on board and then have to put a frompy sweater over them to stay somewhat comfy. I haven't found a good solution to this problem so far. Formal night is a problem, as well, because I'm not wearing long sleeves on a Caribbean cruise, so I wear a shawl but it's just not enough to keep me warm. Once on a Carnival cruise I was so cold after dinner I got desperate and put a sweatshirt on......on what a look THAT was! It was either that or ruin my whole evening. Bon voyage!

I agree! When I pack for a cruise, I plan my outfits and then have to pick some shawls or cardigans that won't totally ruin the looks.

It's sooo darn annoying!

Also, I'm a slow eater and in the dining room, my food is ice cold halfway through the meal. Bleech! I sometimes feel like asking for a warming lamp when they bring the main course! LOL! On the bright side, it cuts down on calorie intake since I lose interest in eating it! :)

I think the temperature is controlled by men who are wearing long sleeved buttoned up shirts, long pants, socks and closed shoes! Put a thin woman in a tank top or silky evening outfit in charge of the control panel! :D

In our cabin, we turn off the a/c and keep the balcony door open. (except when I'm blowdrying my hair).

I agree! When I pack for a cruise, I plan my outfits and then have to pick some shawls or cardigans that won't totally ruin the looks.

It's sooo darn annoying!

Also, I'm a slow eater and in the dining room, my food is ice cold halfway through the meal. Bleech! I sometimes feel like asking for a warming lamp when they bring the main course! LOL! On the bright side, it cuts down on calorie intake since I lose interest in eating it! :)

I think the temperature is controlled by men who are wearing long sleeved buttoned up shirts, long pants, socks and closed shoes! Put a thin woman in a tank top or silky evening outfit in charge of the control panel! :D

In our cabin, we turn off the a/c and keep the balcony door open. (except when I'm blowdrying my hair).

Ships we've been on ask that you not do this as it messes up the a/c system throughout the ship.

Archived