Balcony

trvllover

Planning on taking my 1st solo cruise, but cannot make up my mind on whether to spend the extra $ and get a balcony or to save the $ and get an inside cabin. Just looking for some thoughts from those who have done both. Advantages? Disadvantages? Did you feel the extra $ for the balcony was worth it? I would appreciate your insight! :)

Planning on taking my 1st solo cruise, but cannot make up my mind on whether to spend the extra $ and get a balcony or to save the $ and get an inside cabin. Just looking for some thoughts from those who have done both. Advantages? Disadvantages? Did you feel the extra $ for the balcony was worth it? I would appreciate your insight! :)

If it won't hurt you, go for the balcony. As a cruiser who sailed in balcony to inside cabins, I can say it's nice to have a balcony when you want some "me" time without others around. I really enjoyed going out at 2 or 3 in the morning, sitting in my chair and watch the ocean.

On the Caribbean cruises you can sometimes come across some good deals in the fall/early winter months (Sept,Oct,Nov and first week of Dec) on a balcony. On the Alaskan cruises, the pricing is :eek: :eek: :eek: !!

As for the inside cabins, I love them for great sleep!! One time I didn't wake up until 12:30 p.m.! I love Carnival for having some of the best rates for solos with inside cabins. Holland America comes in next by having inside cabins with a sofa in it (great for those afternoon naps). If I want to see what's going on outside, they have channels on the t.v. that feature outside.

Either way, they are both great!!

Happy sailing!!

Solo Cruises

Alaskan State Ferry 2002

Oosterdam 2004

Westerdam 2005

Miracle 2006

Maasdam 2007

Maasdam, second time around 14 day cruise!! October 24-November 7, 2008

Thanks for your input! I've got a few cabins on hold through Princess. I've had cabins with balconies, but I've always been with someone. Wondering as a solo traveler, how much time I'd actually spend in my room, (since I am not sharing the adventure with anyone). Thanks again!!

Thanks for your input! I've got a few cabins on hold through Princess. I've had cabins with balconies, but I've always been with someone. Wondering as a solo traveler, how much time I'd actually spend in my room, (since I am not sharing the adventure with anyone). Thanks again!!

see --thats what you have to figure out. If you will spend time on the balcony then its what you chose-- i like cruising so would chose whatever was cheapest--you can always find a chair on he outside public decks--no matter the time of day it was-- and maybe someone else to share a conversation with

When I cruise with someone, I get a verandah. It's nice to sit outside with a glass of wine and pleasant conversation. When I cruise solo I book an outside cabin but not a verandah. I cruise HAL, and pay 150% for my cabin. If I got a verandah it would be 200% and I just can't justify it for a solo trip. On my solo Zuiderdam cruise the window was large enough for me to sit in and extend my legs fully (didn't have to crouch either). I spent some time sitting there reading or watching the water go by - hope to do the same in my Veendam cabin in a few weeks.

Sue/WDW1972

Veendam 3/09/08

I, personally loved having a balcony. But then, I used it. If you won't use it, then don't waste the money. I like spending time by myself in my cabin sitting outside watching the world go by. Sure, I can do that up on deck, which I do, but there are times when I just want to enjoy that feeling by myself.

However, if it were me, and I couldn't afford the balcony, I would just go with an inside. I paid more money for a window on my 3 day cruise and it was a BIG waste of money, IMO. I should have just gotten an inside because to see out the window, I actually had to stand up to the wall. And even if the window were bigger, I wouldn't spend any time looking out, unless there was a chair right beside it so I could see out when sitting. On a short cruise, I wouldn't be spending that kind of time in my cabin.

I guess the key is, do what you want. Don't listen to anyone else. One person will say "get a balcony" and the next will say "don't waste the money". You have to do what you want to do.

I have a balcony on my 9 day coming up, but because I booked so early, the insides are now more expensive than what I paid for my balcony :D

I decided to go with the balcony! I've enjoyed them on my past cruises with others....I will enjoy it by myself! I cannot wait!! :)

Thanks everyone!

That's great!! We only live once!! Enjoy your cruise and that wonderful balcony!!

Happy sailing!!

Archived