About Those Waffles!!!

Grandma B

Those waffles sound & look good, Cote d'or, & it also looks like you should not be in a big hurry when you make them! Is that the most common ones made in Belgium?

Yes, these are the most common waffles (and most classic) in Belgium. I make the dough in about 20 minutes and by the time the table is set, the coffee or tea is made and the iron is heated, the dough has raised and is ready to be baked. So actually it takes about 30 to 40 minutes. Your live must be pretty hectic if you don't have half an hour to make some waffle dough.:) Most of the time I bake waffles on a lazy Sunday afternoon, to surprise my DW.;)

I too must say they are the best waffles ever--the texture and the taste--and it is not just because I was on a cruise and didn't have to make them. I considered asking the emloyees who made them if they made the batter or if a mix was brought in, but I figured even if they understood what I was asking (doubtful) they probably weren't at liberty to tell me.

Next best is my husband's Belgian grandmother's recipe:

3 eggs

2 cups milk

1/2-3/4 cup sugar

1 cup oil

4 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

3 cups flour

1-2 tsp vanilla

1-2 tsp cinnamon

Do not overcook.

Susan

I too must say they are the best waffles ever

Next best is my husband's Belgian grandmother's recipe:

Susan

Grandma's recipes are always great. :cool:

I'll tell ya how we make 'em in the summer house in Jamesport. It's a cross between a recipe from my friend Jerry's wife (from Brugges) applied to instant waffle mix

It's to die for.

Loved the X waffles- Like mine better- Of course mine doesn't come with the ocean or a ship. I would gladly never make mine again to always get the ocean and the ship

My way-

Maple Grove Belgium Waffle Mix

Vanilla Sucre - Lorette brings it to me from belgium- Simply Vanilla Sugar

Seltzer

a deep waffle iron

Add seltzer until the batter is THIN but not watery (clings to finger-but drips off)

add enough Vanilla Sucre until your finger tastes real good when you lick the clinging drippy batter off your finger

wait a good 25 seconds after waffle iron says the waffle is done before you open it.

Crispy-sugary-vanilla-y outside- Light airy inside

HOWEVER- no Belgium waffle I've ever eaten, anywhere, including Belgium, has ever tasted as good as the ones at the 1964 Worlds Fair in NY. I was ten then. I still remember them. They were like eating an Angel's head.

Perhaps that's not the best metaphor but you get the idea

John

Office of Breakfast

The Zamgwar Institute

John,

World's Fair 1964 waffles have NEVER been beaten by any I've ever eaten, even on Celebrity. Spent many memorable moments at that fair and wish they'd kept the waffles!!!!

Thanks Usha,

Too cool! :)

I have never had Waffles on a ship except the Disney Wonder... looking forward to the Celebrity Solstice B2B March 15 & 22nd. Wonder if they will make one in the shape of Michigan LOL. That Texas waffle even on a cheesy foam plate makes me drool. Can't wait but I have too!

Irene

I have never had Waffles on a ship except the Disney Wonder... looking forward to the Celebrity Solstice B2B March 15

Irene

We are on that cruise also, are you on the roll call? :confused:

I just found this board.

My wife and I love traveling, but we have only been cruising a few times (now 6 if you count river cruising on the Danube). Started on the Raddison (now Regent) Diamond (since sold) in the Med in 97. Next cruise was to Alaska in 2006.

Just last August we did the Northern Europe cruise on the Century.

We both love breakfast and when we are home we eat breakfast out at least 5 times a week.

We hunt down great waffles and also popovers.

We tried the breakfast in the dining room on the Century and in our opinion that is not their strong suit; so we went to the Lido deck and I accidently came upon the waffle station - and what a treat! They were outstanding. Better than anything in Dallas, including all the waffle and pancake houses around town (probaly 50, and we have tried them all).

We round tripped from Amsterdam and stayed an extra day on both ends. The last day we had dinner at a restaurant on the canal that billed itself as the best pancake / waffle place in Holland and had their cherry ice cream waffles. Good but not nearly as good as the Celebrity waffles, althougth the kirsh might have dulled our taste buds.

The Celebrity waffles are world class.

So Usha, do you have a waffle iron for every state?

Here are a couple of recipies that get rave reviews when I make them:

Banana Sour Cream Waffles

4 servings

1 cup Flour 1 Egg, separated

1/2 TBSP Sugar 1 cup Sour cream

1 tsp Baking powder 1/4 cup Milk

1/4 tsp Soda 1/4 cup Butter, melted

1/4 tsp Salt 1 Banana, mashed

Sift together dry ingredients. Set aside. Beat egg whites until stiff. Mix together beaten egg yolk, sour cream, milk, butter and banana. Add to flour mixture, mixing well. Fold in whipped egg white, and pour into oiled waffle iron or oiled pan. Cook each side until brown.

Sour Cream Waffles

Serving Size : 4

2 cup All-purpose flour

2 1/2 tsp Baking powder

3/4 tsp Baking soda

1/2 tsp Salt

1 TBSP Sugar -- plus

1 1/2 tsp Sugar

4 Eggs -- separated

1 cup Sour cream

1 1/2 cup Milk

3/4 cup Sweet Butter -- melted, plus

2 TBSP Sweet Butter -- melted (or Oil instead of butter)

Sift together all dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, beat together the egg yolks, sour cream, milk and melted butter (or oil). Add to the dry mix. Mix together thoroughly. Beat egg whites until stiff, and fold in completely. Bake in preheated waffle iron.

I'll bet in a blind tasting you couldn't tell the difference between X's waffles and those self served and cooked (from plastic cups) each morning at about 50,000 chain hotels across America (probably the same Sysco Systems product).

We've asked at a couple of the hotels that have had great tasting waffles and both times it was Krusteaz. We picked some up at Sam's club, and really like it both for waffles and for pancakes.

We also bought some of the spray oil waffle off they use.

We are on that cruise also, are you on the roll call? :confused:

I hope so, but are not sure. Are you talking about the Cruise Critic roll call or Celebrity equivalent of the Royal Caribbean Meet and Mingle? What is that called?

We will be on both the March 15th and 22nd B2B on Celebrity Solstice.

Irene & Miles

I hope so, but are not sure.We will be on both the March 15th and 22nd B2B on Celebrity Solstice.

Irene & Miles

There are roll calls on the roll call board for both sailings. Come join in.

Archived