About Those Waffles!!!

Grandma B

We stumbled on Carbon's Golden Malted Pancake and Waffle flour which is widely used by hotels and restaurants. It mixes easily and produces the closest thing to the taste of "Celebrity Waffles" that we've found (It's been a while, but we'll have a chance to compare in a couple of weeks!:D).

It can be found at restaurant supplies, their website and, oddly enough, Amazon.com.

Here's some more waffle nostalgia:

medium.jpg

(Don't panic...the Tabasco sauce was just sitting there!)

Dave

An english song lyricist wrote a song about Celebrity's waffles... ;) as follows,

Golden brown texture like sun

Lays me down with my mind she runs

Throughout the night

No need to fight

Never a frown with golden brown

Every time just like the last

On her ship tied to the mast

To distant lands

Takes both my hands

Golden brown finer temptress

Through the ages she's heading west

From far away

Stays for a day

Never a frown

With golden brown

Never a frown

With golden brown

Yum... I think I'll have another! They're only waffles right? :D

I thought the waffles were very good, but unusual. The batter seemed very eggy to me. You might try a crepe batter recipe, which has a higher proportion of eggs to flour, and see if that replicates the Celebrity experience.

We stumbled on Carbon's Golden Malted Pancake and Waffle flour which is widely used by hotels and restaurants. It mixes easily and produces the closest thing to the taste of "Celebrity Waffles" that we've found (It's been a while, but we'll have a chance to compare in a couple of weeks!:D).

It can be found at restaurant supplies, their website and, oddly enough, Amazon.com.

Here's some more waffle nostalgia:

medium.jpg

(Don't panic...the Tabasco sauce was just sitting there!)

Dave

Thank you for qualifying that Dave. I just finished a course of waffle 101 (recommended by Tex, Celebrity's waffleologist) and I was thinking that perhaps I missed the class devoted to the Tex/Mex waffle. Now Woodofpine has me singing about the Celebrity waffle. I have had my share of the Celebrity waffle over the years, but I will certainly look at it (them) thru a new pair of glasses come January......before I shovel them, and whatever I can put on them, in my mouth.:D

Barry

Prior to my January sailing on the Summit I could not understand what all of the hype was about waffles. Now that I have tried them I understand. They are absolutely fantastic and I am not usually a waffle fan. After day two when I tried them I was addicted!! :D :D :D

I too never got excited about waffles. That has changed. I still don't usually order waffles when I eat in a restaurant. However, when on an X cruise, there isn't a breakfast than doesn't include them :)

Woodofpine....I agree with the rest, you don't know what you are missing. I like waffles at home once in awhile, never order in a restaurant, sometimes have one in the hotels, and NEVER eat those store bought frozen ones. But when I kept reading Texed comments about the waffles, just had to try them on this cruise. I couldn't believe the difference:)

Texed....I was also thinking like you that maybe the waffle irons they use help with the texture. Aren't they just wonderful?! I was a skeptic like the rest & thought you were a little nuts....but now I see how correct you were!

CaliforniaDreamin....Thanks for the recipe...hope to try it soon on a lazy day when I can just pretend I'm still on the ship.

And thank you all for the names of the mixes. It's the only way to go when you're in a rush. My regular Krusteaz mix just isn't going to cut it anymore after tasting the Celebrity waffles!!:D

Nancy

Woodofpine....I agree with the rest, you don't know what you are missing. I like waffles at home once in awhile, never order in a restaurant, sometimes have one in the hotels, and NEVER eat those store bought frozen ones. But when I kept reading Texed comments about the waffles, just had to try them on this cruise. I couldn't believe the difference:)

Nancy

OK Nancy I give... These waffles must be 'to die for', just don't eat to many!

So you can sing along to 'The Waffle Song', here's a live rendition...

Nice melody eh? Just don't eat too many!

I have my fun. :)

WOOHOO! I went back and found the link to the Nat'l Waffle Assn badge. I brought two of the on our Mercury cruise last month and gave one to Syl, kehlx2. When she showed hers to the waffle guy he asked to see it up close and then asked to keep it. He wore it over his name badge for s few days and then the scotch tape on the back wore out and he didn't wear it, but still kept it. I wore mine proudly and got a lot of amused glances and comments. Here is the link for future cruisers.

http://www.birdhouse.org/blog/images/waffle_assn.jpg

Let me know if it works. I tried it and it worked for me.

WOOHOO! I went back and found the link to the Nat'l Waffle Assn badge last month and gave one to Syl, kehlx2. When she showed hers to the waffle guy he asked to see it up close and then asked to keep it. He wore it over his name badge

That is great. :)

WOOHOO! I went back and found the link to the Nat'l Waffle Assn badge. I brought two of the on our Mercury cruise last month and gave one to Syl, kehlx2. When she showed hers to the waffle guy he asked to see it up close and then asked to keep it. He wore it over his name badge for s few days and then the scotch tape on the back wore out and he didn't wear it, but still kept it. I wore mine proudly and got a lot of amused glances and comments. Here is the link for future cruisers.

www.birdhouse.org/blog/images/waffle_assn.jpg

Let me know if it works. I tried it and it worked for me.

Ed, you may have to adopt that for your signature or your avatar!!:D

waffle_assn.jpg

There's a waffle guy on Mercury wearing this over his name tag????

:p AWESOME!!!! :p

Celebrity's waffles are a bellyache, for sure, but I LOVE those darn things!!!

(Especially with the cherry topping and sugar/cinnamon sprinkled over, and well, yeah, some whipped cream too.:o)

Prior to my January sailing on the Summit I could not understand what all of the hype was about waffles. Now that I have tried them I understand. They are absolutely fantastic and I am not usually a waffle fan. After day two when I tried them I was addicted!! :D :D :D

What??? It took TWO days? Were you just leary that the first day was a fluke?

The best waffles I've ever had were on our three Celebrity cruises! I am one who has a problem with 'egg' taste' - some cakes, bakery items I cannot eat because I can smell/taste the egg. Never have I had that problem with Celebrity waffles! The other thing I miss when cruising other lines is the fruit sorbet at the ice cream stand - it's heavenly! I am not an ice cream eater, but usually I will have the sorbet/sherbet on Celebrity two or three times a day! It may even be better than the waffles, so if you haven't tried it, you must!

Pam in KY

OK now that you've all convinced me that i just HAVE to try the waffles, (didn't know of them on our last X cruise:( )

I love breakfast on our Balcony ...an Aft CC....so can anyone tell me if I can order them from room service :) and what are the choices available for toppings.... I only have 28 days left to decide what to have:eek:

Thanks for sharing the waffle experience !

happycruzer

OK now that you've all convinced me that i just HAVE to try the waffles, (didn't know of them on our last X cruise:( )

I love breakfast on our Balcony ...an Aft CC....so can anyone tell me if I can order them from room service :) and what are the choices available for toppings.... I only have 28 days left to decide what to have:eek:

Thanks for sharing the waffle experience !

happycruzer

Hi, I have never had breakfast in the cabin so I cannot

answer that one but I do know the Waffle Station is set up

AFT of the regular buffet.

Not sure if that is where they come from when you use

room service or not?:confused:

They really are delicious though:D

I'll add my two cents. Here in Belgium we have several varieties of waffles (Flemish waffles, Brussels Waffles, Liège waffles,etc...) and what you call 'belgian waffles' are actually 'Brussels waffles'. Typical is the very light structure (crispy golden brown on the outside, soft on the inside) and therefore they are baked in slightly bigger irons with coarse squares.

This is the recipe for the authentic Brussels (for you 'Belgian') waffles. (about 20 waffles, depending on the size of the iron). My own dear grandmother gave it to me, and she made the best waffles in the world ;) :

Ingredients (I converted it, since we use the metric system) :

• 1,5 ounce of yeast
  • 1 pint of tepid sparkling mineral water
  • 1 lb of flour
  • a pinch of salt
  • 1 pint of tepid milk
  • 8 eggs
  • 1/2 lb of melted butter

Dissolve the yeast in tepid water.

Sift the flour into a bowl and make a hole in the middle. Mix the dissolved yeast slowly with the flour, add the salt and the milk. Add the egg yolks.

Whisk the egg whites and scoop them carefully with a slice through the tough. Cover the dough and leave it to rise in a heated place (if in winter) until its volume has doubled. This should take about 15 to 20 minutes.

Bake until golden brown.

Use the biggest iron you can find, since they have a very light structure. Very important to obtain this structure is :

- use sparkling water

- use yeast

- whisk the egg whites until stiff

Also notice there is no sugar added in the dough. Sprinkle the hot waffle abundant with icing sugar (or vanillated sugar), and serve with whipped cream, fresh strawberries, warm chocolate sauce, ice cream, or whatever you like.;) Enjoy !

brusselswafelej0.jpg

I'll add my two cents.This is the recipe for the authentic Brussels (for you 'Belgian') waffles. (about 20 waffles' date=' depending on the size of the iron). My own dear grandmother gave it to me, and she made the best waffles in the world ;) :[/quote']

Thanks for the recipe. :)

Those waffles sound & look good, Cote d'or, & it also looks like you should not be in a big hurry when you make them! Is that the most common ones made in Belgium?

And Texed, I looked up the Waring website & wondered if the Pro waffle iron they show has the big, course squares, or medium size, and which size is yours? You also mentioned that you might have a good recipe, but you never posted it.

Thanks all for responding. Looks like most of you love those Celebrity waffles also. Glad I searched them out!:)

Nancy

And Texed, I looked up the Waring website & wondered if the Pro waffle iron they show has the big, course squares, or medium size, and which size is yours? You also mentioned that you might have a good recipe, but you never posted it. Nancy

We have the deep, round " Belgium" type iron, with the flip handle. Someone posted our recipe, so I didn't post it again. :)

Archived