Fishes or Harv & Marv's

Outofhere

Trying to decide which whale watching tour we should do in early June, Fishes at Icy Strait Point or Harv & Marv's in Juneau. I've heard great things about both. I've been leaning towards Fishes since there are other things we can do in Juneau but would like some input.

Trying to decide which whale watching tour we should do in early June, Fishes at Icy Strait Point or Harv & Marv's in Juneau. I've heard great things about both. I've been leaning towards Fishes since there are other things we can do in Juneau but would like some input.

You can't go wrong with these two, they will go the extra mile! I found that Icy straight is more remote and can give you a better adventure, there seems to be more bubble feeding out in the icy straight area and more of a whale sight seeing tour in the Juneau area, that being said you just have to be in the right place at the right time for breaching?

Stacym

We did FISHES this past Aug. - there are other things to do in Juneau; Mt. Roberts Tram and Mendenhall Glacier were OUR choices. :)

Floyd knows where to find the whales! We had one surface right next to the boat and another bumped us as it swam under us!! If taking the am trip, ask Floyd to drop you off at the pier in town and have lunch at "The Office" bar. Fresh caught whole crabs cooked after you order them!!

Washed down with a nice cold Alaskan Pale Ale beer....then a leisurely walk back along the channel back to the dock to reboard your ship. The native dance is good too or do the zipline. I lOVED Hoonah!

We did back to back cruises in July-Aug and went with Floyd both days in ISP. Best whalewatching ever. He knows where they are and gets there fast. Check out photos at http://community.webshots.com/user/jq4653

Outstanding! We are booked with Floyd for an 1130 trip. By chance, did he happen to mention how often the whales breach or bubble net feed? I have some pretty good lenses (Canon L Series) and would love to get a couple of similar pictures.

Thanks,

Tom

Outstanding! We are booked with Floyd for an 1130 trip. By chance, did he happen to mention how often the whales breach or bubble net feed? I have some pretty good lenses (Canon L Series) and would love to get a couple of similar pictures.

Thanks,

Tom

Sorry, do not expect these behaviors. What you can expect to see are blows, backs and tails, nothing more. If you get lucky consider it a gift.

As a guideline- on over 100 whale watch tours I have taken, I have seen bubble net feeding less than 5 times.

Budget Queen,

Just not sure what you mean by "bubble net feeding".

Can you explain?

Thanks for the info.

Kathleen

It is a type of lunge feeding, female lead and invitation only. :) all adults, if you can look away, you will see the banned whales waiting off to the sides, some of the babys can "act out". :) It's a coordinated effort, after all whales diving, vocalizations are made to confuse the fish along with one, blowing the bubbles in a ring- to concentrate the fish. At some sort of signal- they will all go to the surface, mouths open. This is repeated over and over and can go on in an area for days.

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

I've always had my eye glued to the viewfinder while whale watching but the moments are fleeting and the action is usually a long way off. You'll be lucky to get anything more than a tiny tail fluke or blow in your photo. Next time I'll have my camera handy but I'll spend more time just looking with eyes and binoculars instead. Have a great trip!

I have both tours booked for June. Would two whale watch tours be too much?

I too have done double trips, some vendors charge half price for a second run.

I greatly enjoy whale watching so it's never too much for me. :)

The more you go, the more you will see.

Archived