Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

The last time I was in Vancouver was before the Olympics and we stayed at the Westin Bayshore. We LOVED walking up to Denman St. at night to eat. Cheap sushi, great international fare, and desserts. We are staying at the Sheraton Wall Center next Sat before our cruise. Anything near the Sheraton that is comparable or should just head back to Denman St. ?

Great! So Robson has the same pedestrian vibe as Denman St? I was also thinking about Yaletown, but not sure how late it will be when we get back.

Help me with planning the one day we have in town - this coming Saturday. We arrive from CA about 9:30am to the airport. Was planning to buy the BC Transit day pass to ride to the hotel (Sheraton Wall Center). Will walk or take cab from the Vancouver City Center stop to hotel depending on how we feel.

Planning to go to either Capilano Bridge vs Lynn Canyon Bridge. Still trying to decide if I want to pay the extra $$ at Capilano. Grouse Mountain depending on weather. Also want to walk at Granville Island.

Should we go to Granville Island first? I was thinking of going there after we drop off the luggage at the hotel, stroll around, grab a quick bite to eat, then bus/cab over to the Waterfront station for the SeaBus to go across to North Vancouver.

By the time you clear customs, collect your luggage and get to your hotel it will likely be 11 am . So your thought of doing Granville Island and having lunch there is a pretty good one. This will also permit you time to judge the weather and decide what you want to do in the the afternoon. Lynn Canyon is where the locals go but it does not have the whistles and bells that tourists like...I would go the LC. Don't bother with Grouse Mtn if it is raining or if you can't see the top of the mountain.

By the time you clear customs, collect your luggage and get to your hotel it will likely be 11 am . So your thought of doing Granville Island and having lunch there is a pretty good one. This will also permit you time to judge the weather and decide what you want to do in the the afternoon. Lynn Canyon is where the locals go but it does not have the whistles and bells that tourists like...I would go the LC. Don't bother with Grouse Mtn if it is raining or if you can't see the top of the mountain.

Good point PD. Things always take longer than you plan. I think we'll just stick with lunch at Granville and then doing Lynn Canyon leisurely. I'm sure we'll be beat and want to take a nap before dinner!:p

Here`s what to expect if you are going to do the Lynn Suspension Bridge - it`s a short video I took a couple of years ago.

http://yvrcruiser.blogspot.com/2009/04/lynn-canyon-suspension-bridge-and.html

Enjoy

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis!!:D That's a great preview. It looks so lush. I really enjoyed the Olympic Peninsula in WA so this should be a treat. I love the living roof on the ecology center. I hope the weather will cooperate this Sat so we stroll around a bit.

Your blog is great. Will bookmark it to read later.

Thanks - the blog is more of a labour of love than everything - since I went on Facebook I haven`t used the blog as much but do update it every onece in awhile.

If you have the time when at Lynn Canyon do the Twin Bridges loop - you will see more waterfalls but a warning it is a bit of a workout - there are steep steps all along the trail - might post some more trail details when I find the photos which are on my old computer files.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks - the blog is more of a labour of love than everything - since I went on Facebook I haven`t used the blog as much but do update it every onece in awhile.

If you have the time when at Lynn Canyon do the Twin Bridges loop - you will see more waterfalls but a warning it is a bit of a workout - there are steep steps all along the trail - might post some more trail details when I find the photos which are on my old computer files.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks for the tip. I'll see if my mom is up for it. She is a pretty active senior and she was able to do the relative steep steps along the Mist Trail in Yosemite Valley. I would love to do the Grouse Grind on another visit. Is there still snow on that trail right now?

Edited by chinita415

Yes there is lots of snow on the upper part of the Grouse Grind - the trail is officially closed - the weather here has been very cool - the local mountains got some fresh snow last week - the real melt probably won`t start for a while yet.

Cheers

Dennis

We are staying at the Pan Pacific the night before our cruise and have a 13 year old daughter who wants to visit a Canadian Lululemon store. It is by no means the top of the list of fabulous things to see and do in Vancouver but we would like to accommodate her if we can. Anyone know the closest Lululemon store to the Pan Pacific or is there one close to something "touristy"? Thanks!

We are staying at the Pan Pacific the night before our cruise and have a 13 year old daughter who wants to visit a Canadian Lululemon store. It is by no means the top of the list of fabulous things to see and do in Vancouver but we would like to accommodate her if we can. Anyone know the closest Lululemon store to the Pan Pacific or is there one close to something "touristy"? Thanks!

Given Lululemon is based in Vancouver; there are quite a few options; one in walking distance, and 3 more easily accessible via Skytrain

• 1148 Robson Street; roughly a 6-7 block walk south on Howe Street, then one block west on Robson
  • The 'Lululemon Lab'; this is not a normal store, but a place where they do future product stuff. http://www.lululemon.com/vancouver/lululemonlab at the corner of Broadway & Cambie. Take the Canada Line subway to "Broadway-City Hall" and it's diagonally across the street.
  • Oakridge Mall; ride the Canada Line subway to "Oakridge/41st"
  • Metrotown (and probably my suggestion because there's a TON of other shopping, and if your daughter hasn't riden an elevated train -- it's fun). Take the Expo or Millenium line Skytrain to "Metrotown" (about 15 min ride) to Metrotown Mall, the largest shopping complex in the province.

we will arrive in Vancouver on September 8th @ 10 am one night pre cruise. what can we do just that time frame? we booked Renaissance Vancouver Harbourside Hotel ( thanks to this forum we bid for $110)

much appreciate for your input...:D

tom and corey

We will be staying at the Sheraton Wall Center for 2 nights before our cruise to Alaska. We would like to pick up some small things to take on the cruise with us, drinks, small snacks. Also we are looking for a place where we could pick up some wine to take on board, we are sailing with Holland America. Are there any grocery or convenience stores close by the hotel, within walking distance? I saw a place listed not too far called Sutton wine merchant, not sure if that's adequate for some of our needs.

What is the best way to get to Granville Island to go to the market from our hotel?

I'm assuming taking a cab is the best option to get from the airport to the hotel?

A block from the Sheraton - across the street next to the YMCA is a full service IGA grocery store so you could shop there - there is also a small convenience store located in the hotel complex.

As for wine - there is a private liquor store in the hotel - very small selection - there is the Sutton wine merchants which are next door to the IGA - there is also a larger private liquor store called Marquis wines in the 1000 block Davie - about two blocks from your hotel - the government run store at Alberni and Bute - one of the few government ones opened on Sunday and Holidays - has a large selection of wines but given that our prices are much higher than in the US why not bring some across the border.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

As for getting to Granville Island - you could walk down Hornby which is the street behind the Sheraton about about five blocks and catch the little ferry across to Granville Island.

While you could taxi it in from the Airport - there is also a airport shuttle service operated by Aerocar who are the offical limo company at the airport.

Here`s a link: http://aeroshuttleyvr.ca/

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Great thread!!! I am so confused - we like to stay in half decent hotels to start out holidays off right and live on Vancouver Island, gonna catch the ferry over the day before our cruise at the end of September out of Ballyntyne Pier (NCL Pearl) and stay at an airport hotel, leave our car parked there for the 11 nights we are gone, then fly back into YVR and catch the free shuttle back to our car, and head home!

So, my question is, the last time staying at an airport hotel was the Accent Inn when there was 11 of us in our family travelling. This time, it's just 5, me, DH and our three daughters and we'd like to stay somewhere decent. Arrive in Vancouver in the afternoon, relax, do dinner, get a ride down to the Ballyntyne Pier Sunday morning, etc..........so has anyone stayed at the Sandman Signature Vancouver Airport or the Executive Airport Plaza Hotel before and if so, preferences? Our rate is basically the exact same, both suites for approx $160 that include parking for the 11 nights and they sleep 5 (hard to find a room that sleeps a family our size and we are short a kid - he's staying home for school!). Anyone have any preferences? Ive gotten quotes from the Travelodge, Accent Inn, Best Western, Hilton, Hampton Inn.........all sorts...........lol.

Leah

Our fellow poster and west coast expert Putterdude might be able to offer you some suggestions but he is currently on the Sapphire Princess spending the evening cruising the Salish Sea down to Seattle and should be home by Monday - so look for a response from him then.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis - I find I start going cross eyed looking at reviews on Tripadvisor and sometimes, it is nice to just ask the experts - the people on Cruise Critic!!! We stayed pre-cruise in South Beach for 5 nights a couple years ago and booked a "boutique" hotel there based on reviews on Tripadvisor - well, it was the worst hotel stay we've ever had in our lives.......horrid..........and I know reviews are subjective, but holy smokes...... lol

Leah

Hi Browniegirl,

I am sitting in a hotel in the rain in Seattle:eek: I have stayed at both the hotels and really don't think there is much to choose between them. There is more of a variety of dining options at the Sandman if you wanted a quick breakfast at Denny's in the morning....but other than that, I would say it is a pick'em. Your package rate sounds excellent with the 11 days of parking, does it include a shuttle to and from the pier?

Hi Browniegirl,

I am sitting in a hotel in the rain in Seattle:eek: I have stayed at both the hotels and really don't think there is much to choose between them. There is more of a variety of dining options at the Sandman if you wanted a quick breakfast at Denny's in the morning....but other than that, I would say it is a pick'em. Your package rate sounds excellent with the 11 days of parking, does it include a shuttle to and from the pier?

Thanks for responding! Seattle in the rain......how unusual..........lol. Yah, great rates for a nice suite but unfortunately they do not include shuttles to and from the Pier. We are on our own hook for that. Aerocar will shuttle the 5 of us to the pier for $65 plus tax/tip. No buses, no waiting, no shuttles........we may do that. It is $14 a person for Vancouver Shuttle, so we might as well do the aerocar thing. The kids will like that I'm sure, be a nice surprise! I think the Sandman with Denny's sounds like a good fit for a family travelling with 3 kids, maybe go find a good all you can eat sushi place the night before!!!

Thanks again, how was your cruise?

Leah/Browniegirl

PD, what do you suggest for getting to Seattle pier from Vancouver without our own car? Quickcoach?

Your options are Quick Coach, Amtrak or the Amtrak bus. We come back to Vancouver yesterday on the Amtrak train and found it a delightful experience albeit with only 2 trains a day the sked is not very flexible.