Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

The HOHOs are a hop on hop off form of excursion. They really are a great way to see a lot of the city in a short period of time all the while providing commentary on what you are seeing. There are actually 3 HOHOs operating in Vancouver. I am rather a fan of the Vancouver Trolley which pioneered the business and provides live commentary. The Big Bus is fun on a nice day with its open section but the commentary is canned. I am afraid the Pink Bus is rather new on the scene and I confess to not knowing a whole lot about it.

Here are some links for your review and if you have any questions after you have looked at them please come on back.

www.vancouvertrolley.com/

http://www.bigbus.ca/

http://www.vancouverpinkbustours.com/

Putterdude,

Appreciate your response, it's helpful to know which area to target. My cruise buddy has a lead on a potential deal at the Pan Pacific so will see how that turns out before I start bidding on Priceline, thanks for your help. Ele

Can anyone recommend a moderate priced hotel in Vancouver that would pick us up at the airport and then the following day deliver us to the pier? We have stayed in hotels in Seattle that offer this service, but I'm unfamiliar with the hotels in Vancouver.

Can anyone recommend a moderate priced hotel in Vancouver that would pick us up at the airport and then the following day deliver us to the pier? We have stayed in hotels in Seattle that offer this service, but I'm unfamiliar with the hotels in Vancouver.

I am sorry, a hotel with a free shuttle from the airport and then to the pier just doesn't exist in Vancouver. There are a two hotels that I know of that offer a shuttle to the pier and they are the Hampton Inn on Robson St. and the Best Western-Downtown on Drake St. However, Vancouver's downtown is so compact that a cab fare from hotel to pier is seldom more than $10 so I would focus on the hotel first and shuttle second. Hotels during the cruise season tend start at about $200 p/n. You may care to check Hotwire or perhaps bid on Priceline...with Priceline I would bid in the #4 Downtown Zone, you can often pick up a good hotel for under $150 p/n on one of these sites. Cab fare will run about $35 from airport to hotel but depending upon the location of your hotel the Canada Line from YVR to a downtown station may be an option at a cost of $8.75 pp.

Some more moderately priced hotels would include...but not be limited to:

Blue Horizon

Days Inn

Sandman Inn on Georgia St.

Holiday Inn on Howe St.

Ramada Inn.

This is such a wonderful thread. I really appreciate all the great information.

Any opinions on the Marriott Pinnacle vs the St Regis? I can get both at the same rate. We'll be in Vancouver September 24th to 26th. We plan on walking from the cruise ship (Princess). Both of us are strong walkers and very mobile. We will only have small carry on luggage with us.

We are also planning on taking a day trip to Victoria and Butchart Gardens with Land Sea tours. Any opinions on Land Sea? We have been to Victoria numerous times on cruises and never made it to the gardens. This time we are going!

Thanks!

Any opinions on the Marriott Pinnacle vs the St Regis? I can get both at the same rate. We'll be in Vancouver September 24th to 26th. We plan on walking from the cruise ship (Princess). Both of us are strong walkers and very mobile. We will only have small carry on luggage with us.

We are also planning on taking a day trip to Victoria and Butchart Gardens with Land Sea tours. Any opinions on Land Sea? We have been to Victoria numerous times on cruises and never made it to the gardens. This time we are going!

Thanks!

Marriot; hands down. While the St Regis is nice enough (it was an old rundown hotel, and recently renovated), it's still not in the same class as the Marriot.

As you're strong walkers, and capable on your own, have you considered making your own way to Victoria? it's very doable from downtown Vancouver (Skytain/Bus to ferry; ferry; bus to Butchart); and a lot cheaper than a packaged tour.

Wow...that was quick! Thanks for the opinion on the Marriott. Looks like that is the way to go.

I did look at going to VIctoria on our own, but I must not have calculated everything properly because it seemed like there wasn't that much of a difference in price since the tour included all the transportation costs and entrance to the gardens. I will have to look at it again. We are pretty adventurous so we are definitely open to doing it on our own.

FYI...the tour price is $189 cad plus any tip.

Alright, I am not a vancouverite so I hope it's ok I chime in. The $189 is way high considering it is per person, right?

http://www.butchartgardens.com/planning-your-visit/admission-hours-and-rates/admission-rates.html

You can see the bulk of the cost is for transport. I know you can catch a tour bus that will take you there for much less. I'm not talking about even the city bus - that is very cheap but takes a long time & I believe you have to transfer.

Here is link for a package that includes admission & transport for about $50.

http://www.cvscruisevictoria.com/butcharts.html

The tour price is from Vancouver. So it would include getting to the ferry terminal which is about a 30 or so minute drive from downtown, then the high speed ferry to Victoria, then admission to one of the sights in Victoria like a museum, and then the bus and admission to the gardens. And, of course, bringing us back to Vancouver. It is door to door as they pick us up and drop us off at our hotel. It is about a 13 hour excursion.

Thanks!

The Marriott is a vastly superior property and an easy walk to Canada Place. Vancouver Tours (Land/Sea Tours) are excellent operators and very highly regarded.

The tour price is from Vancouver. So it would include getting to the ferry terminal which is about a 30 or so minute drive from downtown, then the high speed ferry to Victoria, then admission to one of the sights in Victoria like a museum, and then the bus and admission to the gardens. And, of course, bringing us back to Vancouver. It is door to door as they pick us up and drop us off at our hotel. It is about a 13 hour excursion.

Well you have most of it correct, but it is not a high speed ferry. It is a BC Ferry and will take about 1.5 hrs, however it is a beautiful trip through the Gulf Islands and there is definitely value in the tour compared to busing it.

Putterdude, you're right...it is the 1.5 hour ferry each way. I guess I just figured it was a high speed ferry. LOL

I really appreciate the insight from Scottbee and Putterdude. Thanks for all the knowledge you're both sharing on this thread.

And, thanks also to CanWeGoYet for doing some quick checks. I probably wasn't very clear in my original post that I was starting my trek from Vancouver.

Happy Sailing to everyone!

That is exactly why I would suggest you book a tour rather than try to do this one your own. While getting to the ferry via transit is doable, it's not the most convenient to say the least! Its a very long day, well worth it, but much better to be picked up and dropped off at your hotel without worrying about transfers and missed connections.

Any ideas for breakfast prior to our cruise?

We're staying at the Westin Bayshore - I know we can get breakfast there but expect it will be pricey.

Appreciate any recommendations - TIA!

Any ideas for breakfast prior to our cruise?

We're staying at the Westin Bayshore - I know we can get breakfast there but expect it will be pricey.

Appreciate any recommendations - TIA!

A short block to the south at the corner of Cardero and W. Georgia there is a White Spot which is kind of an iconic restaurant chain in Vancouver, you won't do better for breakfast or lunch.

www.whitespot.ca/

Speaking of food, is there any place that's open late by Westin Bayshore? We'll be arriving at our hotel about 12:30-1:00 am. I'll be hungry and my husband will want a beer or two.

I don't think there's anything in the area open that late, certainly not within walking distance.

The hotel restaurant/bar is only open until 12:00am and room service is available until 11:00pm.

Maybe grab something at the airport to bring with you? Or, call ahead to see if the hotel will make you a couple of sanwiches before they close the restaurant?

Edited by aohkay