Murder Suspect Arrested on Celebration...

Chriz

Not really surprised. Airlines and cruise ships don't do background and warrant checks before you're allowed to board. You're passport is not tied to any type of warrant system so their wouldn't be a "hit" on that either because the ship logs your number, it doesn't "run" your number. Imagine how long it would take to get through check in?

Also, warrants and backgrounds are "right to know, need to know". Every person that had the ability to even be in an area that ran those checks would have to be backgrounded and monitored and audited, etc.. etc.. etc. Much more complicated than it would seem. (Yes, I am in law enforcement.)

You never know who you might be sitting next to.

If he was trying to run, he should have booked a different cruise.:cool: Think of the crimes we could get away with - all the research and attempts put into practice here:eek: . Gotta pick those non-extradetion countries folks, and know that backround checks aren't required for flights or cruises.:D

This is the second "wanted" person I know of boarding. The first time I actually saw a defendent who had missed court the week prior on our cruise:eek: . I was his prosecutor - he must've gagged when he saw me. Anyway he was pick-up in Puerto Rico and transported back to FLA.

Apparently the threat of arrest is kinda like your mom telling you your face would freeze like that.

Not really surprised. Airlines and cruise ships don't do background and warrant checks before you're allowed to board. You're passport is not tied to any type of warrant system so their wouldn't be a "hit" on that either because the ship logs your number, it doesn't "run" your number. Imagine how long it would take to get through check in?

Also, warrants and backgrounds are "right to know, need to know". Every person that had the ability to even be in an area that ran those checks would have to be backgrounded and monitored and audited, etc.. etc.. etc. Much more complicated than it would seem. (Yes, I am in law enforcement.)

I hold my breath each time I go in and out of the country. Not because I'm a criminal, but because the state in which I live in has my ID mixed up with another women of the same name. It just so happens she is a criminal. When I found out my credit had been mixed up, I also had a criminal background ran. I'm sure the shock on my face was priceless, when I found out, I had served prison time when I was only 16. According to my criminal record I have been in and out of prison for years now. Just last year, I had a warrant served on me that the state was revoking my parole. Failure to pay fines. I have been around and around with the state about this. But according to the state, they don't make such mistakes. :rolleyes: I have turned it all over to a lawyer. But until it's all fixed, I'm still out to be arrested for the things she has done.

Actually a check is being done on passengers as of Feb 19th when a new federal rule went into effect. A manifest has to now be sent to Homeland Security 60 minutes prior to the ship sailing so that the list can be vetted.

You are also wrong on the passport. When my passport is scanned by Customs, a check is made. I get flagged each time because there is a guy in New York with a warrent on Grand Larceny charges. I am a close match though we are of a different race. It takes me from 20-30 minutes to clear customs as they have to do an in depth check to prove I am not this person. Additionally any law enforcement agency can send to the State Dept a request to flag a passport. Per their website, please notify Passport Services when a subject is apprehended, when the warrant is quashed or when passport action is no longer needed. If a lookout is allowed to remain in the passport system after these events, it will result in inconvenience and possible legal action.

So basically we should be seeing more arrests in the future as the system catches people.

Dave

I hold my breath each time I go in and out of the country. Not because I'm a criminal, but because the state in which I live in has my ID mixed up with another women of the same name. It just so happens she is a criminal. When I found out my credit had been mixed up, I also had a criminal background ran. I'm sure the shock on my face was priceless, when I found out, I had served prison time when I was only 16. According to my criminal record I have been in and out of prison for years now. Just last year, I had a warrant served on me that the state was revoking my parole. Failure to pay fines. I have been around and around with the state about this. But according to the state, they don't make such mistakes. :rolleyes: I have turned it all over to a lawyer. But until it's all fixed, I'm still out to be arrested for the things she has done.

I know the feeling. I was afraid when I went to New York in November that I would be arrested at the pier because I am flagged for someone wanted for Grand Larceny out of New York.

Because I sail so much, when I walk up to the Customs agent, I go ahead and tell them they are going to hate me. I then give the info their screen is going to show them same name, same weight, same height, different date of birth and different race. I then tell them they have 6 or 7 entries in their comments section stating I am not this person.

At this point I am sent over to secondary search and go through it all over again.

Dave

Actually a check is being done on passengers as of Feb 19th when a new federal rule went into effect. A manifest has to now be sent to Homeland Security 60 minutes prior to the ship sailing so that the list can be vetted.

You are also wrong on the passport. When my passport is scanned by Customs, a check is made. I get flagged each time because there is a guy in New York with a warrent on Grand Larceny charges. I am a close match though we are of a different race. It takes me from 20-30 minutes to clear customs as they have to do an in depth check to prove I am not this person. Additionally any law enforcement agency can send to the State Dept a request to flag a passport. Per their website, please notify Passport Services when a subject is apprehended, when the warrant is quashed or when passport action is no longer needed. If a lookout is allowed to remain in the passport system after these events, it will result in inconvenience and possible legal action.

So basically we should be seeing more arrests in the future as the system catches people.

Dave

A check of passengers has always been done by Homeland Security. The new rule came into affect stating that the manifest had to be transmitted 60 minutes prior so they could check names before the ship sailed. Prior to this some ships transmitted them at sailing time not giving Homeland security time to act.

The first thing I thought of when I read this was that poster who was on here a few weeks ago asking about cruising if you have an outstanding warrant! Hmmmm..... I wonder :rolleyes:

Wow, really?! Do you happen to remember the thread title or have a link to that thread?

This is the second "wanted" person I know of boarding. The first time I actually saw a defendent who had missed court the week prior on our cruise:eek: . I was his prosecutor - he must've gagged when he saw me. Anyway he was pick-up in Puerto Rico and transported back to FLA.

Apparently the threat of arrest is kinda like your mom telling you your face would freeze like that.

Wow, what a great story. I mean, what are the odds? I bet he did more than gag when he saw you, LOL. He probably had to go change his shorts.:D

Archived