Latest on Eurodam

Captain Rhone

This is the latest exterior photo I have found on the web, taken on February 13.

Also if you haven't already seen it, Holland America has a new page up on the Eurodam that you can access via the homepage. It has some digital video of the exterior of the ship that it very cool!

http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=594628

glass-stairs-atrium.jpg

You know, with the difficulties they had on the Noordam with her glass staircase (keeping it closed whenever the ship is underway) I wonder why they didn't alter the stair tread design on the Eurodam? :confused:

glass-stairs-atrium.jpg

You know, with the difficulties they had on the Noordam with her glass staircase (keeping it closed whenever the ship is underway) I wonder why they didn't alter the stair tread design on the Eurodam? :confused:

That's an EXCELLENT question.

Stewart Pid (who goes by the first name of Stu, for short) must have designed it for the Eurodam, too. One would think, after people falling on it on the Inaugural aboard the Noordam, they wouldn't repeat this error again.

Stewart Pid (who goes by the first name of Stu, for short) must have designed it for the Eurodam, too. One would think, after people falling on it on the Inaugural aboard the Noordam, they wouldn't repeat this error again.

It would be really silly to keep it the way it is. Perhaps it will have some sort of built-in tread pattern to stop people from slipping? I'm starting to think they should just go back to the carpeted stairs found on the other Vista ships!

The Shipspotting website states that Eurodam will be registered in the Bahamas???? According to HAL's website, she'll be Dutch....

I think that's temporary ... while she's being built and during her trials. When HAL takes delivery, I THINK that's when "Rotterdam" gets painted on her butt, under "Eurodam"

The Shipspotting website states that Eurodam will be registered in the Bahamas???? According to HAL's website, she'll be Dutch....

I can't remember the exact reason for it, but I did read somewhere here that almost all ships are registered in the Bahamas during the building phase; once they are handed over, registration (in HAL's case) is changed to 'Rotterdam'. Hopefully someone here knows the exact reason...

I think that's temporary ... while she's being built and during her trials. When HAL takes delivery, I THINK that's when "Rotterdam" gets painted on her butt, under "Eurodam"

Thanks, Rev. I hadn't thought much about where a ship is registered before, but does it matter as far as construction standards go?

A friend of a friend was on Noordam last month & told my friend that the glass staircase was closed at all times, even when she was in port. Guess the captain is taking no chances. :(

I asked my friend what her friends thought of that beautiful ship - they thought it rather dull & understated. Then my friend revealed that her friends are Carnival people. Ahh, the lightbulb went on in my head. They prefer the flashy neon nightmare decor. :eek:

Perhaps it will have some sort of built-in tread pattern to stop people from slipping?
Actually, Aaron, there IS a pattern on the Noordam's glass stairs. Sort of a pebble finish. Not just smooth glass. But it doesn't seem to do much (if any) good.

One would think, after people falling on it on the Inaugural aboard the Noordam, they wouldn't repeat this error again.

But this is the way we've always done it!

If at first you don't succeed, ..... just keep doing the same stupid thing over and over! ;)

But this is the way we've always done it!

If at first you don't succeed, ..... just keep doing the same stupid thing over and over! ;)

Naaaaa ... the problem here is that an innovation which was thought to be "hip" and reflective of "the future" but which didn't work and should have been corrected or at least not repeated, is instead perpetuated again and again. :( The tradition, on the other hand, called for nice, safe, carpeted stairs.

Naaaaa ... the problem here is that an innovation which was thought to be "hip" and reflective of "the future" but which didn't work and should have been corrected or at least not repeated, is instead perpetuated again and again. :( The tradition, on the other hand, called for nice, safe, carpeted stairs.

Oops. I meant to be more tongue-in-cheek. I know the real tradition of HAL. I just meant that having done it ONCE on the Noordam, it was suddenly elevated to the sacro-sanct status of "tradition."

Yesterday we received an invitation from Stein Kruse to join him on a 3 day special Prelude cruise on board of the ms Eurodam. Sailing on the 2nd of July from Rotterdam, Hamburg, Copenhagen......

Feels very special indeed!

Yesterday we received an invitation from Stein Kruse to join him on a 3 day special Prelude cruise on board of the ms Eurodam. Sailing on the 2nd of July from Rotterdam, Hamburg, Copenhagen......

Feels very special indeed!

I guess that not everybody on the July 5th cruise took the offer to take the July 2 pre-cruise cruise. I've been booked board for it for several months, now.

And, as I recall, an elderly woman fell down it last President's Day Week cruise, I believe, and got glass from her glasses in her eyes, was airlifted, and later died. I may be totally wrong here, but I think it was the glass staircase that she fell on.

It was open for a short while on our cruise, and we went down the staircase...it felt a little weird...was disorienting.

Very striking to the eye, for sure, but I don't know why they're repeating it if it's not so safe.

Archived