Still another carry on question

Coadysmom

We have travelled round the world this last 12 months from Australia- London-Rome- hong Kong- US- New Zealand and I can honestly say I am getting confused as different airports seem to be fussy about one particular thing. New Zealand was the first airport to insist I take out my lipstick from my bag. Liquid?? I didn't think so.

Whatever it is they say we must do, we have no option but to be well informed before hand, and do as they require or reap the consequences.

"From 31 March 2007 passengers departing New Zealand on an international flight will have to comply with new security regulations when hand-carrying liquids, gels and aerosols.

The new measures are:

• All liquids, aerosols or gels such as drinks, creams, perfumes, sprays, gels, toothpaste, lip gloss and mascaras must be in individual containers not greater than 100ml in volume.
  • All containers must be carried in a re-sealable transparent plastic bag no larger than one litre (approximately 20cm x 20cm or 8 inches x 8 inches)
  • Only one bag is permitted per passenger
  • The plastic bag must be sealed and presented separately from all other carry-on baggage at the screening point
  • Liquids in containers of more than 100mls can be packed in your checked in baggage.

There are exemptions for personal medications, baby products and dietary supplements in liquid, aerosol or gel form.

The new security regulation is consistent with that already in place in the USA, European Community and Canada. It is also consistent with the security regulation being introduced in Australia from 31 March 2007."

Your lipstick counts as a "liquid" (so does toothpaste!) and, as Globaliser already said, should have been in your plastic bag. I have been asked about lipstick in the US and in the UK, so NZ is not the only country - I guess it depends on the luck of the draw, as to whether or not the security people are feeling extra fussy on the day!

I seem to recall an extensive discussion on this topic a few months ago - maybe on the "Cruise Air" board?

No, it's policy.

Does this help? It's from the Air NZ web site, but the carryon restrictions are the same as QANTAS applies.

Cabin Baggage

null.gifnull.gifnull.gif

You are welcome to bring your belongings on board as carry on baggage, with maximum allowances and restrictions detailed below.

null.gif

In addition to your allowance, you may also carry on board personal items such as an overcoat, handbag, walking stick, camera or slimline laptop. As a safety precaution, all cabin baggage must be able to fit in the overhead lockers or under the seat in front of you.

Anything in excess of the dimensions and weight allowed as listed below will need to be repacked as part of your checked baggage allowance.

>

• Customers may take one piece of cabin baggage with a maximum weight of 7kg (15lbs) and maximum total dimensions (length + width + height) of 115cm (45") on jet services¹ or 105cm (41") on Air New Zealand Link services².

> International flights

• Pacific Economy Class customers may take one piece of cabin baggage with a maximum weight of 7kg (15lbs) and maximum total dimensions (length + width + height) of 115cm (45").
  • Business and Pacific Premium Economy Class and Star Alliance Gold customers (including Airpoints Gold and Gold Elite) are permitted two pieces with the same conditions as above.

Laptops

Laptops in a thin satchel are considered a personal item, however laptops in larger computer bags are counted as one piece of cabin baggage.

This is opinion - I think it would make travelling around much easier for you if you could consider packing lighter. Do you have any internal flights in Australia? If so, your checked baggage allowance may also have to comply with the one bag, 20Kg (44 pounds) policy.

So ya got some detail.... Nice:)

We are on an international flight, flight begins in BNA to LAX cause AA partners with Qantas from LAX to Sydney.

AA says you can bring different amounts and weight's than Qantas.

Qantes allows more for checked but less for carryon. Since our filght arrives in Sydney and we take a cruise back to LAX, were ok until we fly home with all our junk, then domestic rules take over for AA.

Even the partner airlines disagree.

Your could not be any more right about luggage, less is good for me, but not for my better half:cool:

So ya got some detail.... Nice:)

We are on an international flight, flight begins in BNA to LAX cause AA partners with Qantas from LAX to Sydney.

AA says you can bring different amounts and weight's than Qantas.

Qantes allows more for checked but less for carryon. Since our filght arrives in Sydney and we take a cruise back to LAX, were ok until we fly home with all our junk, then domestic rules take over for AA.

Even the partner airlines disagree.

Your could not be any more right about luggage, less is good for me, but not for my better half:cool:

I do sympathise with your dilemma. I think that your situation must occur quite frequently, as all airlines have their own rules.

We recently flew on a round-the-world ticket from New Zealand. Our route went NZ - US - Canada - US (Alaska) - Canada - UK - Spain - Hong Kong - NZ. We were travelling for 8 weeks.

On our outward flight, we were allowed 2 checked bags (because we were flying through the US). This allowance applied until we arrived in the UK. However, our return flights (because we flew on the Asia - Pacific route) only allowed one checked bag, of 20KG (44 lbs) and only one carryon (because only one allowed going through Heathrow).

We had no choice but to pack as if the smaller baggage allowance applied for the entire journey. We each left NZ with one checked bag weighing less than 20Kg - to allow for purchases on the way - and one small carryon backpack each.

It was hard to keep within these limits, but strangely liberating not to have too much "stuff" to worry about.

I do sympathise with your dilemma. I think that your situation must occur quite frequently, as all airlines have their own rules.

We recently flew on a round-the-world ticket from New Zealand. Our route went NZ - US - Canada - US (Alaska) - Canada - UK - Spain - Hong Kong - NZ. We were travelling for 8 weeks.

On our outward flight, we were allowed 2 checked bags (because we were flying through the US). This allowance applied until we arrived in the UK. However, our return flights (because we flew on the Asia - Pacific route) only allowed one checked bag, of 20KG (44 lbs) and only one carryon (because only one allowed going through Heathrow).

We had no choice but to pack as if the smaller baggage allowance applied for the entire journey. We each left NZ with one checked bag weighing less than 20Kg - to allow for purchases on the way - and one small carryon backpack each.

It was hard to keep within these limits, but strangely liberating not to have too much "stuff" to worry about.

For me, 1 bag would be Heaven:)

You could take one bag and let your better half take what she wants! :D

She already Does.:cool:

Hey who's side are you on?:eek:

Less than 3 weeks and we will be in Australia.:)

In fact we had a "QUEEN VICTORIA FILET" at "OUTBACK" last night and some "LITTLE BOOMEY" wine.

Cheers Mate (Is that how ya say it)

She already Does.:cool:

Hey who's side are you on?:eek:

Less than 3 weeks and we will be in Australia.:)

In fact we had a "QUEEN VICTORIA FILET" at "OUTBACK" last night and some "LITTLE BOOMEY" wine.

Cheers Mate (Is that how ya say it)

How exciting. We are going next year.

"Cheers mate" sounds British to me.... but I suppose some Aussies say it. :p

I have tried the food at Outback in the States and it is not very Australian. Sorry to burst your bubble! It is trying to be Australian, but there was no Pavlova, Lamingtons or meat pies on the menu. Go figure! :eek:

M.

"Cheers mate" sounds British to me.... but I suppose some Aussies say it. :p

I have tried the food at Outback in the States and it is not very Australian. Sorry to burst your bubble! It is trying to be Australian, but there was no Pavlova, Lamingtons or meat pies on the menu. Go figure! :eek:

M.

Yes a wonderful laddy (maybe right... girl) in our office is from the great country of Australia... and we will get to meet her parents in Sydney when we arrive.

Americans love Outback... maybe it reminds us of our wild wild west. Who knows? Food is good, even if it does not serve meat pie and tomatoe sause

Maybe it is why we so much like the Irish, cause we are all rebels. However we cannot deny our English root's.

The world is much smaller now so we all have just got to get along.

OK, off my soap box:)

• 4 weeks later...

I gave up using a carry on bag with wheels to save weight and now have no problems with Qantas or any other airlines requirements.

Le Sport Sac bags (made in the USA) weigh almost nothing and are very strong. I've never had one fail. I am also using a bag made by RedOxx in Montana that is strong and relatively light in weight.

Check the weight on your empty bags especially if they have wheels. Some of them are just too heavy empty.

I have just booked to travel with Singapore Airlines to fly out to Auckland to cruise with X finishing in Sydney.

I have now discovered that their hold baggage is only 20K. Can't believe it. They say it costs £25 per kilo for excess baggage. The cabin baggage is only 7K and again this would need to go in the hold if over.

I am extending my holiday from 17th November until the 12th Jan so will be away almost 8 weeks. I am also told that I will need to pay again on the Singapore -Auckland flight as I am having a stopover.

The flight back will be from Perth and it could be that excess baggage will cost as much or more than my airline ticket.

Maybe I need to get a carry on that is not on wheels as mine weighs 3K even before I put anything in it.

What's a girl to do?

Sue

We are planning a cruise from Auckland to Sydney in November, flying in from Los Angeles. After the cruise we are doing the cruise tour which includes flights from Sydney to Cairns, Cairns to Ayers Rock, and then from Ayers Rock back to Sydney. I hadn't thought about until reading this thread but will I have to follow the domestic flight baggage limits for the cruisetour portion of our trip or does being a continuation of the cruise have some exemption? We had planned on maxing out our baggage limits but will possibly have to rethink that now. Let me know. Thanks.

Ron Jones

I have now discovered that their hold baggage is only 20K. Can't believe it.
This is - and has been for decades - the standard international economy class baggage allowance. Some airlines have tweaked it upwards to about 22 kg or 23 kg, but this is what it is.

North American flights have been the main exception, which is why the North American allowance gets so much air time here on CC. But that obscures the fact that this is what most of the world lives with, and has lived with for an awfully long time. After all, I grew up with it!

We are planning a cruise from Auckland to Sydney in November, flying in from Los Angeles. After the cruise we are doing the cruise tour which includes flights from Sydney to Cairns, Cairns to Ayers Rock, and then from Ayers Rock back to Sydney. I hadn't thought about until reading this thread but will I have to follow the domestic flight baggage limits for the cruisetour portion of our trip or does being a continuation of the cruise have some exemption?
If you're flying on Qantas scheduled services, then it is said that Qantas has a special allowance:-
^ If your itinerary includes a flight to/from or via the USA, US Territories, Tahiti, South America or Canada, you are entitled to two pieces (one piece for infants) of checked baggage on all Qantas and QantasLink operated flights within your itinerary,# regardless of whether these flights appear on the same or a separate ticket. You will be required to provide proof of your international ticket at check-in indicating travel to/from or via the USA, US Territories, Tahiti, South America or Canada.

# Valid for the duration of your international ticket, or up to a maximum of 12 months from the date of the first flight to/from the USA, US Territories, Tahiti, South America or Canada – whichever date falls first.

The note, however, is appended to "International" and not to Australian domestic. So it's not entirely clear to me whether it applies in your situation.

But it really is no big deal if you don't qualify for this. The charge for additional bags is only AUD 22 (= USD 20) per bag on Australian domestic flights, which hardly going to break the bank!

For me it is not the 20K allowance I had expected it to be 23K as per BA etc. It is the crippling £25 per Kilo which seems incredible. Singapore Airlines have told me this themselves so I have to accept it is correct.

Looks like they will weigh the hand baggage as well so I will have to rethink all my plans.

Still better to know now rather than later. If I could pay something like £5-£10 per kilo excess but at £25K to Singapore and then the same again to NZ and then back from Perth. I am in shock!!

Sue

For me it is not the 20K allowance I had expected it to be 23K as per BA etc. It is the crippling £25 per Kilo which seems incredible. Singapore Airlines have told me this themselves so I have to accept it is correct.
I'm afraid that this is also quite typical and nothing unusual. Qantas would charge you about £17 per kg for London-Singapore. Virgin Atlantic's charges range between £22 and £43 per kg depending on where you're flying to.

Thinking laterally: Are you absolutely locked in to flying Singapore Airlines now? If you know you're going to need to take excess baggage, BA's current excess baggage rates are some of the more generous now: £75 per bag, or £60 if paid online in advance of check-in. And you get one bag at up to 23 kg included in the fare, as you know.

No I am sorry I have now purchased my flights and they are not refundable. I will just have to bite the bullet and try to cut down on what I take and if I am a bit over then pay the price.

I think I am going to buy a bag rather then use a small wheeled suitcase as it weighs 3K with nothing in it. The cabin baggage is only 7K so with this weight it would not allow much.

I wanted to fly with Singapore Airlines as they fly direct from Singapore to Auckland so it means only one changer of aircraft. I am having a 2 night stopover in Singapore just to break the journey but shopping would seem to be out of the question!!

Nice hotel and some interesting food and see a few of the interesting sights. Been there once before but also just for 2 nights.

Sue

You can save a lot of weight by wearing your heaviest items, eg shoes, etc.

Once on the plane, we put it all in a light bag, we have included in our hand luggage. We just wear airline socks on the plane (on top of our pressure socks).

Yes, that means you have to wear a heavy coat from a Queensland summer to a UK winter, and you feel like a bag lady!

Yes, shopping in Singapore is out of the question for anything but super light treasures. When I break my journey in Singapore, I have found Singapore Airlines quite strict enforcing luggage weight. when I've tried to slip that heavy winter coat into my luggage. :)

Archived