B.O.S.S. tour in ST Thomas

I've done this - most fun I ever had with clothes on!

You just sit on this scooter type device, and you don't go any deeper than about 10 feet. You'll be in a group of 6 or 8, and a scuba instructor will be with you the entire time. There's absolutely nothing that can possibly go wrong. If you can ride a bicycle, you can ride those things.

That said, it's amazing to explore the under water world. In fact, Bob got me so hooked that I acquired a diving license two years later. By all means, go for it when you have the chance.

G.

You do not need to know who to snorkle or swim. You do have to put your head under water to get into the helmet. I thought that navigating the scooter was a little difficult but then I an not good at driving a car either.

We were going to do this last year on the Caribbean Princess and booked ourselves on the ship's tour. Unfortunately, just before the trip we received a waiver form stating that if we were on any sort of medication, we could not do this tour. I had just been prescribed antibiotics by the ship's doctor for an infected bee sting. We were very disappointed, and a bit annoyed that we hadn't been given the waiver information before booking. They could mention it on their web site, so people know the restrictions.

Apart from the medication problem, we weren't happy that we had to sign that we wouldn't take legal action for any reason whatsoever!

It does sound like a brilliant tour though.

Make sure you take an underwater camera with you.The diver will take your picture and then he has a pack of crackers and will break them in front of you and when the fish come to eat he will get another picture with the fish in front of you.It is really great.

We did this excursion last summer. We had a great time. The only thing you have to do is jump into the water and then go underwater and put your head in the bubble. Once you are on the scooter, if I remember correctly, they lower you down further. My daughter who was 11 did it, she drove better than I did!!!!! She had problems with the pressure and her ears so they just had her riding up a little higher. i could see her up there zipping around.

They take you in groups. While your group is waiting for your turn on the scooter, you can snorkel. The guy who runs this was very nice. I recommend this for something a little different that you dont get to do everyday.

If you have any questions, let me know. I will try to answer.

Jeanne

We loved it. My brother-in-law had a problem though. He felt a little claustraphobic (sp) and had a hard time breathing. You have to remember the instructions and don't panic. I will do it again if I have the opportunity. They also have snacks and box drinks.

It's a great excursion. My wife and I did it about five years ago on our honeymoon. No previous snorkeling or scuba diving experience is required. You pretty much sit on an under water scooter while you're head is in a bubble that's totally dry and supplying oxygen. The controls are basic--up and down and throttle. There were at least two divers with us the entire trip to make sure everyone was ok during the excursion.

Enjoy!

Has anyone taken this tour? Do you have to know how to skuba or snorkel? Must you be a strong swimmer? Is it like a "helmet Tour"/

Thanks

This was great fun. See my pics from my Voyager cruise on the links below. The people there will help you a lot. I would say you just have to be a competent swimmer. Next time we go to St Thomas, we would do it again.

We just did this tour in January and loved it!! DW couldn't clear one ear so had to stay up a lil higher but she too was still thrilled with the tour. As long as you aren't claustrophobic, you'll have a GREAT time :)

Warren and Yvonne

We just did this tour in January and loved it!! DW couldn't clear one ear so had to stay up a lil higher but she too was still thrilled with the tour. As long as you aren't claustrophobic, you'll have a GREAT time :)

Warren and Yvonne

I tend to be a bit claustropobic, but one in the bubble and underwater the view is so terrific, I got absorbed into that.

Has anyone taken this tour? Do you have to know how to skuba or snorkel? Must you be a strong swimmer? Is it like a "helmet Tour"/

Thanks

My sister and I did it last year, and had a great time. The crew is very helpful, intructions very clear. I'm no swimmer, just dog paddle. We were so glad we took this excursion! As was every one else on the boat. :)

You do not need to know who to snorkle or swim. You do have to put your head under water to get into the helmet. I thought that navigating the scooter was a little difficult but then I an not good at driving a car either.

The key there is not to overreact, or over steer, being underwater, your body tends to resist the turns, so some people tend to turn harder, then about the time the vehicle responds you've already told it to turn more, so it does, then you over correct the other ways. Its kind of like comparing turning your car around vs turning an 18 wheeler around.

Our group did it last year and for the most part had a great time..One man in our group got a little nervous and had to come up...I stayed down the whole time but was ready to come up when they said to (about 30 minutes). My brain couldn't grasp hold of the fact that we were under water and I was breathing:)

Archived