Pier 35 San Francisco

Beachgator

MY WIFE AND I WILL DISEMBARK AT PIER 35 IN SAN FRANSCISCO FOR THE FIRST TIME. I HAVE BEEN HAVING A VERY DIFFICULT TIME FINDING TRANSFER OR TRANSPORTATION OPTIONS FROM THE PORT. HOW DIFFICULT IS IT TO CATCH A TAXI OR TRANSPORTATION FROM THE PIER? WE ARE THINKING OF GOING FROM THE PIER TO THE AIRPORT TO RENT A CAR FOR A FEW DAYS BEFORE FLYING HOME. ANYONE HAVING INPUT OF THE TRANSPORTATION OPTIONS AT PIER 35 ON DISEMBARKATION WOULD BE APPRECIATED.:confused:

Beachgator...You don't have to apologize. As you can see, the majority overlooked it and answered your questions...which is what these boards are all about.

Enjoy your cruise.

Peace, Rianvi:)

Pier 35 is a short walk from pier 39/Fisherman's Wharf which is a major tourist attraction here in the Bay area. Cabs are plentiful as is public transportation of all kinds. Where will you be staying in San Francisco? If you are staying in the city, renting a car and then paying the parking fees (most hotels charge for parking) can add significant cost to the trip. Driving in the city is no picnic either. Even a cab ride can be like a roller coaster on some trips. The airport is quite a distance from the pier so it might be better to use public transportation and see the city using the cable cars, BART, MUNI and taxis. I would even use BART to go back to the airport when you are done (assuming that you can push, pull or carry all your own luggage.) Public transportation to all the major areas of the city is not only economical, but also frequent. There is so much to see and do in the city that you may not have enough time to do it all. I live only 20 miles across the bay from San Francisco and love to go into the city and spend the weekend. I take the ferry as the hotel I prefer to stay at charges $44 a day to park in their lot. There are some nice hotels down in the wharf area and there are many in the Union Square area which is where I prefer to stay.

I would answer but I can't look at your print long enough to read it. CAPS are rude, not to mention BOLD CAPS. Hope you don't drive around here the way you write.

Now that is rather rude - why can't you just answer the poster if you know an answer??

Ron

I have a queston that I hope someone can answer for me. If given the choice between Intercontinental Mark Hopkins and Best Western Tuscan Inn, which would be a better place to stay. We are staying a night precruise and have never been to San Francisco. We have transportation from the airport to the hotel and then to the port.

Thank you in advance.

Peace, Anna:)

I would answer but I can't look at your print long enough to read it. CAPS are rude, not to mention BOLD CAPS. Hope you don't drive around here the way you write.

R u serious?? gosh.... how harsh is this ... :eek:

If you are staying in San Francisco I would not rent a car. Most hotels charge for parking ($25-$35 per day). Then if you go out to dinner you can expect another $15 parking charge. It is much easier to take public transportation or taxis. Driving in the city is difficult and parking is even worse. You can always rent a car for the day if there is somewhere you want to go that is not accessible by the great transportation system.

Thanks for the input Nancyquilts and Melika091900 and sorry about the CAPS polodad...didn't mean to offend. As you can see I haven't posted often and am somewhat new to the rules.

Beachgator, Like many said please don't feel you need to apologize, we were all new once it's just that some seem to forget they were. You may find some other grouches on the board but do what most of us do, ignore them. There will be plenty of people to come to your defense. I think you will get some great answers here.

Dianne

We've had good luck on getting a taxi there several times. And I for sure agree with the others about maybe not renting a car! Parking in SF can break the piggybank very quickly! And, depending on where you're used to driving, those hills can be pretty scary.

Fortunately, not all San Franciscans are as rude as this poster :)

Have a great time....as one poster said...you can rent a car much closer than the airport :) And then can return it to the airport :)

• 1 year later...
Now that is rather rude - why can't you just answer the poster if you know an answer??

Ron

Ron,

I agree, since when does polodad (or whoever) become the voice for everyone on the CC sites. Some folks need to get a life rather than their daily power trip.

Ciao for now!!!

We stayed at the Tuscan Inn several years ago, and it was lovely. I agree with the others about not renting a car. Not only do you pay for hotel parking, it is hard to find parking. If you stay at the Tuscan Inn or nearby you can easily walk most places like Pier 35, Fisherman's Wharf, and Ghirardhelli Square. You can take the cable car from there to some of the other sights like Chinatown. One time when we went we took a city tour, and that gave us an interesting overview of the city. You could consider a shuttle to the airport.

Archived