Rhapsody of the seas

The Fox

Having sailed both Princess and Royal Caribbean, my heart lies with Royal Caribbean.

The only thing that Princess had a higher standard was food. Then again, we only ate in the buffet on Princess. The food was fantastic on Princess. The range was great, and was always hot and replenished.

Food on Royal Caribbean was still good, though not excellent. It certainly was a higher standard of P&O though.

In terms of activities, crew etc, Royal Caribbean won hands down. I just hope they haven't let their levels drop since 2005!!;)

True. P&O Aus subsidise the tipping we are not accustomed to, so the staff are paid a similar amount to other countries where tipping is common. I guess RCCL are worried about passengers not budgeting into their cruise, and removing them to "pay with cash" later.

RCCL's Australian booking agent stipulates that all Aussie based Rhapsody cruises have tips paid upfront. I guess they are aware that if they do it the usual way, the staff would be getting less wages than they get in the US.

Considering the price we paid for our Tassie cruise, even when tips and fuel subsidy are added, the price is still more than $100pp per day cheaper than the Dawn Princess one that cruises a month later.

While the tips on P&O are far cheaper, and only apply to passengers over 12, Princozz is $10AU for all passengers, similar to RCCL's $9.75 US

hi geoff, i have been on the sun princess and the rhapsody and i have booked 3 cruises on the rhapsody in oct and dec and thinking of booking a 15 day on the rhapsody again in feb 09 even as you say if we pay our tips on the rhapsody the fare is nearly $1,000 cheaper and i dont think the princess line is worth paying $1,000 more, mio

bob

hi geoff, i have been on the sun princess and the rhapsody and i have booked 3 cruises on the rhapsody in oct and dec and thinking of booking a 15 day on the rhapsody again in feb 09 even as you say if we pay our tips on the rhapsody the fare is nearly $1,000 cheaper and i dont think the princess line is worth paying $1,000 more, mio

bob

Absolutely Bob,

We loved Sun Princess, but the Rhapsody fares were so much cheaper that we couldn't go past them either. By booking early, there was no fuel subsidy for us on Rhapsody. We are getting the opportunity to try a newer ship and a different brand for approx $115pp per night vs a similar Dawn Pricess itinerary for approx $235pp per night.

Hopefully this true competition will bring down local fares eventually. There are plenty of $100 per night cruises on Princess in the US, but it must be twice as expensive for them to operate here. :rolleyes:

Paying the tips up front is no imposition either. Just means paying them 2 months early when we make final payment. From the testimony of the Rhapsody cruisers last season, I know we will be getting a lot of bang for our bucks.

I will settle for one cruise this summer though. Still, I envy your opportunity for 3 or 4.

Did a 'mock' booking on an Inside Guarantee. Here are the results.

Price Breakdown

Guest 1 Cruise Fare $799.00 USD

Guest 2 Cruise Fare $799.00 USD

Fuel Supplement: $100.00 USD

Taxes/Fees $107.72 USD

Package Total $1,805.72 USD

All that has to be added on is gratuities I think.:o

hallo cheeky boy! How are ya? we are looking at Rhapsody too and wondering about 'hidden costs'!!!!!!!!1

hallo cheeky boy! How are ya? we are looking at Rhapsody too and wondering about 'hidden costs'!!!!!!!!1

hi lady, really there is no hidden cost, they have their port charges , fuel cost plus tips if you pay them now or later

get some quotes off T/A's and you will find out the cost involved

We did an exercise last night. We had an advert from the paper with a certain cost (including using the Seniors discount) and then we went online to the RCL website, did a mock up in the same cabin as quoted and came up approx $AUD340 less, (including adding the $AUD210 gratuities). So we are wondering why is it less on the RCL website than the ad in the Sydney paper of a week ago?

We are talking about the November 1 10 night cruise out of Sydney, using the Senior discount as Peter will be 57 then.

I suppose we should ring the 1300 number quoted or perhaps try a quote with a Sydney T/A.

Very confusing having to go back and forth with the exchange rate!!!!!!

We did an exercise last night. We had an advert from the paper with a certain cost (including using the Seniors discount) and then we went online to the RCL website, did a mock up in the same cabin as quoted and came up approx $AUD340 less, (including adding the $AUD210 gratuities). So we are wondering why is it less on the RCL website than the ad in the Sydney paper of a week ago?

We are talking about the November 1 10 night cruise out of Sydney, using the Senior discount as Peter will be 57 then.

I suppose we should ring the 1300 number quoted or perhaps try a quote with a Sydney T/A.

hi lady, the rcl webiste gives the price in US $$$ and i use this link to convert the fare into our $$ http://www.xe.com/ucc/ and it gives me an idea what to pay, you can google for online cruises as we cant mention t/a's names on this site

cheers bob

[url=http://www.xe.com/ucc/][/url]

thanks Bob we also use that conversion site... had money coming out of our ears by the time we did conversions on two types of staterooms last night!!

I have sent an email to the address shown on an earlier post on this thread, asking why we found we could do it $AUS340 cheaper on the RCCL website and also asked them if they could give me a final cost on two types of staterooms, details which I supplied.

If I get an answer that could be of interest to others, will post it.

The difference in costing could be because of fluctuations in exchange rate. Any travel agent or tour operator do a costing where the base price is in an overseas currency has to work on a 'worst case scenario'. The Aussie dollar has risen dramatically compared with the US dollar recently, but a travel agent couldn't have organised advertising etc. assuming that would happen. The exchange rate could have been (say) 80 cents when they costed it out, but they might have worked on 75cents in case the exchange rate went the other way. Aussies booking direct now using our strong dollar get the benefit.:)

When I spoke to one of the online Aussie TAs they told me that the final amount wasn't fixed until full payment because of the fluctuating dollar. They said that they will update the price according to the exchange rate.

Glad we're paying in USD. Still works out cheaper than what the Aussie agencies were quoting once converting it back to USD from AUD. Just hope it doesn't drop too much in the next 8 months!!:p

We booked the Rhapsody for the 22nd Nov. We feel we got a great deal and are very happy. We did it through Royal Caribbean online and I noticed the prices had been reduced after we booked. I emailed them and asked them to reinvoice us for the cruise at the cheaper price and they did!! I was even more happy.:D I am not so sure a travel agent would have been happy to reduce the cost for us.:rolleyes:

They have some great deals with inside cabins starting at $699 US plus port charges etc.

Wouldn't it be great if we could continue to get great deals like our US cruising friends do.

When I spoke to one of the online Aussie TAs they told me that the final amount wasn't fixed until full payment because of the fluctuating dollar. They said that they will update the price according to the exchange rate.

Thats correct Jane;) and thats why you are asked if you want to pay in full when you book, a good T/A will explain why they are asking this, they are not being pushy, just explaining that the $$ may flucuate and result in your cruise costing more at the time of full payment than what was quoted, and if you read the fine print on any cruise, (not only those in other currencies) they state the fare is subject to change at their discretion until full payment is made:rolleyes:

Chez

xx

Same cruise as yours Tigerman... sounds like great value for this cruise, i think i will also book it tomorrow....

Thanks Jarrod and Jeff, i also did a mock quote and am still surprised at the cost.. I will ring around a few of the agents tomorrow to see if they can better RCI??

What can i expect with Rhapsody v Princess in terms of service and food? I was very impressed with Princess service... cheers

Great , I don.t think you will beat the price , I looked around !! get on !! great, I noticed from the other thread you are booked ... see you on board !!

We booked window cabin. Can't do the inside!!! :( Did have an inside on our first cruise and lasted one night!!! We went straight up to the pursers desk the next morning and for $200 we were upgrade many times to balcony. Lucky it wasn't a full ship.

Have had balcony since then but as we have now decided to cruise more often, the window will be fine. It is also hard to justify the price difference on the Rhapsody as we are learning that we don't spend much time there anyway.

Yes you do need a passport for the Tassie cruise in January, apparently it is something to do with going into International waters.

We are looking forward to the Raphsody and so excited after travelling to America to cruise on our first RCCL cruise last year. Well worth it! Had a fantastic time and so excited we hopefully will get more chance to cruise them in Australia and ultimately bring us in line with the rest of the world. Unless you have been on the overseas cruises and lines you have no idea how far we are behind with cruising in Australia. It has taken a while but I believe other lines are realising there is a real market in Australia and the industry is about to step up big time.

Absolutely Bob,

We loved Sun Princess, but the Rhapsody fares were so much cheaper that we couldn't go past them either. By booking early, there was no fuel subsidy for us on Rhapsody. We are getting the opportunity to try a newer ship and a different brand for approx $115pp per night vs a similar Dawn Pricess itinerary for approx $235pp per night.

Hopefully this true competition will bring down local fares eventually. There are plenty of $100 per night cruises on Princess in the US, but it must be twice as expensive for them to operate here. :rolleyes:

Paying the tips up front is no imposition either. Just means paying them 2 months early when we make final payment. From the testimony of the Rhapsody cruisers last season, I know we will be getting a lot of bang for our bucks.

I will settle for one cruise this summer though. Still, I envy your opportunity for 3 or 4.

Hi Geoff,

I agree with you .Di & I are booked on Rhapsody in Oct.2008 for 13 nights at 103.00 pp per night.hard to go past and a great opportunity to sample a different cruise line and sail on a different ship.We sailed on Sun Princess in January this year and thoroughly enjoyed the ship and the service...it was exceptional.I would rate the ship and service as good as Superstar Virgo which i rate as one of the best cruise ships i have sailed on.As you might imagine its the thrill of different ships to me now as I have seen the South Pacific heaps of times.We are now looking at the mediterrean,Hawaii and Caribbean over the next 3 yrs hopefully on different ships.

Cheers

Col:)

A friend of ours has been interested in the Rhapsody cruise in Jan to Tassie.(ME TOO!!!!)

He was told by a TA that he needs a passport for this cruise, is this so?

I wouldnt think so as its in Aussie waters but maybe soneone might know?

The info would help me too as My kids dont have passports and I really want to do this one!

Just gotta convince "you know who" ;)

Alas, your friend and AussieSunGirl are correct about needing passports. While all the ports are in Australia, similar to P&O's Qld cruises, the email I received from RCCL - Discover the world marketing today cited that all RCCL's Australian cruises require passports for security reasons. Bit of an expense to get the kids passports, but I figure they will need them for a cruise someday anyway. Would be great if you can still convince "you know who"

Yes you do need a passport for the Tassie cruise in January, apparently it is something to do with going into International waters.

We are looking forward to the Raphsody and so excited after travelling to America to cruise on our first RCCL cruise last year. Well worth it! Had a fantastic time and so excited we hopefully will get more chance to cruise them in Australia and ultimately bring us in line with the rest of the world. Unless you have been on the overseas cruises and lines you have no idea how far we are behind with cruising in Australia. It has taken a while but I believe other lines are realising there is a real market in Australia and the industry is about to step up big time.

If Rhapsody can match our experience on the Australianised Sun Princess, I will be more than happy.

Woopee. We have just booked the second leg on Rhapsody on Dec 2nd. The prices have come down for our first cruise so much so that we have booked a second.:D When I spoke to the TA today she told me that the Dec 2nd cruise is nearly booked out but there are still plenty of cabins available for the 22ND NOV which is why the price keeps coming down. Each time the price has been reduced I get them to reinvoice us.

Hi Jarrod, I think the b to b you are doing has been very popular so I would imagine your chances of price reduction are very slim. Sorry to say:rolleyes:

Bookings certainly have picked up. Was slow at first, but most categories are sold out, with TA's having the rest. No upgrade fairy for me either.:p

We'll probably be doing 2 or 3 cruises a year locally from 2010 onwards, since prices have dropped dramatically.:)

Great , I don.t think you will beat the price , I looked around !! get on !! great, I noticed from the other thread you are booked ... see you on board !!

True, i did look around and the online agents could only match the price. I also asked The RCI marketing agency to guarantee us a cabin with window and not two port holes, they advised that as I booked an ocean guarnatee that i would get what i was allocated. If i wanted a guaranteed window, I would have to book the cabin i desired at a higher price, well for the $ saved I will take a punt and see what we get.

The agency also advised that I could pay through any TA so i guess i will take it to a TA so at least they will hopefully get a commission out of it.

Do you think it might be wise to leave it with RCI, just in case they give upgrades to those that book direct???

I was thinking of paying the full amount up front to take advantage of the current exchange rate but on second thoughts and IMHO the Aussie $ will be equivalent to the US$ soon, so might wait..

I guess there is always the chance of RCi increasing the fare... researching, looking at ports, things to do, so much fun..

Have a good day all!

Archived