Any info as to ships in Australia winter 2009?

kk99

Hi everyone,

Our gang wants to go to Australia/New Zealand in December 2009-January 2010. Does anyone have an educated guess as to which ship(s) will be sailing that itinerary? Thanks in advance for any insider information.

kk:)

Hi everyone,

Our gang wants to go to Australia/New Zealand in December 2009-January 2010. Does anyone have an educated guess as to which ship(s) will be sailing that itinerary? Thanks in advance for any insider information.

kk:)

According to Sydney's cruise ship calendar, it's Millennium. Looks like she's there every 28 days which would make sense doing 14 days AU/NZ

http://www.sydneyports.com.au/port_operations/cruise_schedule

You will notice from the Sydney Ports list that there are other cruise ships cruising Aus/NZ at that time of year, as well.

Note there will be lots of children on board, as that is summer school holiday period in Aus/NZ.

I have actually only just done this trip on the Mercury and have to say that I don't think doing this particular route on the Millenium is going to be something I would want to do. The Mercury handles bad weather a hell of a lot better than the Millenium and the kind of weather we had..... I take it you get the picture right????

You will notice from the Sydney Ports list that there are other cruise ships cruising Aus/NZ at that time of year, as well.

Note there will be lots of children on board, as that is summer school holiday period in Aus/NZ.

Hi,

last christmas/new year´s cruise from Sydney to Auckland we had 400 kids onboard Mercury.

No problems at all!!!

P.

I just did the Mercury to Australia-NZ this year and she rode fine in rough seas. I have sailed both the Infinity and Mercury in Alaska and the Mercury wins riding in rough seas by a mile. It was one of the reasons I sailed this year. We sailed the waters between Melbourne and NZ in 96 on Princess and hit the roughest seas I have sailed in 18 years at sea. I hope you'll have calm seas next year.

My husband just suggested this as our next cruise vacation. I have always wanted to go to Australia and a cruise is going to be awesome. We had tablemates in the Med from there and they were taking a break from winter in the Med. July heat. They made their country sound so interesting it just made me want to go all the more. They said that Dec. Jan were the month to go visit Australia. Looking forward to planning this trip. However, what about the rough seas? It makes me nervous to think about too much motion.

Can I recommend for those planning future cruises Australia/New Zealand, than you add a week, or at least a few days, to spend at the port of embarkation and disembarkation. Both Sydney and Auckland have a lot to offer.

Sydney is a walker's paradise. Summer in Sydney is magical, with all the activities on the harbour and the Sydney Festival, etc.

http://www.sydneyfestival.org.au

The Bay of Islands, north of Auckland, is a really beautiful region to visit.

Hint re weather - Cairns, North Queensland and Ayres Rock are not places Australians would visit in our mid summer January/February, as it is too hot. (I just received an email from a friend in Alice Springs on business - "I am slowly dying in Alice Springs - hot winds and dust storms.")

Pattyyj1204

Whilst the seas can be rough between Sydney and New Zealand, they aren't always rough.

If you are prone to seasickness, get a mid-ship cabin on a low deck, preferably on a ship, which sails well across the ocean, and you'll have a wonderful time.

Archived