water

BeachTeach

I just found out I have kidney stones and I'm cruising in 10 days. They are not big stones enough stones to "blast" but still uncomfortable. Anyways, I have to drink a lot of water. I am going to bring some with me to drink in the cabin and on shore. How much does a bottle of water cost on the ship? If I ask for a bottle of water at dinner will they bring it? Should I bring my own bottle? I really don't like tap water. Anyone ever experience kidney stones while cruising?

I just found out I have kidney stones and I'm cruising in 10 days. They are not big stones enough stones to "blast" but still uncomfortable. Anyways, I have to drink a lot of water. I am going to bring some with me to drink in the cabin and on shore. How much does a bottle of water cost on the ship? If I ask for a bottle of water at dinner will they bring it? Should I bring my own bottle? I really don't like tap water. Anyone ever experience kidney stones while cruising?

You can bring the bottle water thats in your cabin to the dining room but they cost as much as 6.95 now. So bring your own bottle and then refill it up on Lido deck. The water onboard is just as good or even better then bottle water.

Fred

I hope you have insurance just in case.

Steve

Carnival has 2 different sizes of Bottled water (and I forget the prices), but unless you bring one with you, I would only get one and then keep filing it on the Lido deck or even in your cabin. I drink the water from both and it tastes great. They do an awesome job of filtering/cleaning it and I've never had a bad reaction to it.

I fill empties and then refrigerate them and take them out on my tours too.

Best of luck to you!

For the amount of water you will need to drink, I would just drink the water on the ship. The bottled water runs about $2.50-$5.00 depending on the size... and to carry that much on would be a pain. The water on the ship is just as good if not better than many bottled waters (which are in many cases, tap water)

I just found out I have kidney stones and I'm cruising in 10 days. They are not big stones enough stones to "blast" but still uncomfortable.

For men... Kidney Stones = mother's revenge. For those who have not been 'blessed', they are the worst pain a human can experience. I myself have suffered that pain many times in my life. Nothing you want to have away from medical help.

Hopefully it will pass, soon. I had one that took almost 30-days. It was about the size of a small bean (with a horn like rhino). :(

Good luck. I KNOW YOUR PAIN!!!

I'm among those who think that the tap water is just fine. And, I drink a lot of bottled water at home.

If you really think that you might have a problem, check with your physician about using any flavoring in the tap water. He/she may have a suggestion.

I haven't paid much attention to the price of bottled water on the ship. It seems like the liter size is usually $4 and up.

When we go ashore we usually buy a bottle locally. It's cold, convenient, and cost effective.:) However, if you are going on an excursion you may not have the opportunity to buy ashore. I'd refill on the ship if that were the case.

Charlie

BeachTeach - sorry to hear about the stones. I have had about 14 of them in the past 12 years so I'm somewhat knowledgeable about this. Drinking water is fine, but you can also drink other fluids. Depending on what kind of stones are developing, orange juice is great for acidic stones. Believe it or not, the juice goes down as acidic, but changes into a base once in your kidneys and will help reduce the amount and size of acidic stones. Tea is great. Moderate amounts of coffee. So long as you are taking in 64 oz or more per day of fluids, you'll have less problems. So drink the water on the ship to save you $$$ and pack some in your luggage. I really do like the foldable coolers because they come in handy when you want lots of ice in your room. I hope your doctor gave you some pain med, you may need it. I take mine on any trip, just in case. The insurance is also a good peace of mind to have. Smooth sailing!!

You can bring the bottle water thats in your cabin to the dining room but they cost as much as 6.95 now. So bring your own bottle and then refill it up on Lido deck. The water onboard is just as good or even better then bottle water.

Fred

Maybe better if it is desalinated ...low calcium unlike spring water ...high calcium=kidney stones.Had them every year for 20 years then slowed down on the spring water, stone production dropped dramatically.Soft drinks, acidic drinks (juices)were a better choice for me.For god sakes they hurt don't they.The up side is your pain tolerance rises too, have teeth drilled with no anesth. and have been stiched up also no pain killer.All a breeze compared to a stone.Good luck.

If you have a type of bottled water you really prefer and you have to drink such a large amount for a medical reason I would contact Carnival and ask if you can bring your own supply. I would think since it is for a medical reason they would be very lenient...

You think you are uncomfortable now, just wait until you "flush" that stone out of the kidney.

I hope you have cruise insurance.

A bottle of water on the ship is costly, but you can get all the water you want on the lido deck. They will also bring you bottled water in the dining room, or they will keep your glass filled.

I think the availability of water is going to be the least of your worries.

For men... Kidney Stones = mother's revenge. For those who have not been 'blessed', they are the worst pain a human can experience. I myself have suffered that pain many times in my life. Nothing you want to have away from medical help.

Hopefully it will pass, soon. I had one that took almost 30-days. It was about the size of a small bean (with a horn like rhino). :(

Good luck. I KNOW YOUR PAIN!!!

I'm right there with you guys. I've had them several times in my life. Only thing that helps make them not hurt so damned bad is to be put on a morphine drip. Wish you could get those outside the ER, though. I figure... if people with severe food allergies get to have the Epipen (sp?) then kidney stone sufferers should have the morphine shots. Ahhh... good times. :cool:

My sister has had this. I hope you have insurance!

The pain is so bad that is brought her down to her knees, trip to E.R. with IV pain medication.

I wouldn't worry about drinking water while on the cruise. I would talk to my doctor about how to quickly get rid of them before the cruise.

One more thing to throw out there.... if you start to pass them while on the ship and are in lots of pain, the ship doctor will want you to go to a local hospital. The chances of you missing the ship and having to fly home is great!

Don't underestimate the pain.

Unfortunately, I have experience in this area. I would say you might want to talk to doc about pain meds to get you by just in case. I also had a prescription for a blue tablet that helps neutralize the acid (makes your pee greenish). But helps with the pain.

Cranberry juice is also your friend.

Good luck.

I too have unfortunate experience in this area. Do keep plenty hydrated. I personnally love to drink the water from the ice bucket after it melts. I think the 1.5L on the Conquest a few weeks ago were 3.00.

Stay away from tea and red wine, salt and too much milk. Those are killers for me, especially when I'm in warm weather and retaining fluids.

Most of mine have been small enough to pass within a few hours, but the last one was 8mm and had to be blasted (not fun)

i drink the water in the dining room and that tastes great.. i ask for lemon and it even is better... tastes better than the bottle stuff chattie patty

DITTO...the water in the dining room is GREAT!!!..I am a picky water drinker...at home I don't like my tap so only drink bottled water, but on EVERY Carnival ship we sailed the tap water is awesome..and in the dining room because of the ice..even better...in fact I find I drink more sailing than anywhere else...good luck and have fun...

Thank you all so much for your concern. I am actually going to have the stone lazered tomorrow. I leave for Miami on Saturday and the cruise on Monday. The doctor said I will be fine by Sunday. At least it will be gone. I'm a little nervous about it.

Bring a wide mouth water bottle, so you can wash/rinse it out easily. The ice and water on the lido deck/buffet area was fine.

You may want to ask your doctor for a pain reliever...just in case, and bring the original med. bottle.

It may help to bring a letter from the doctor, or some medical records such as a radiology report...just in case.

Drink lots of water!

Good luck and have fun!:)

......as others above have suggested......believe me I know, as I've had them blown up while inside me, since some were TOO big to pass. Another time one passed, quite large...kind of a surprise sensation as I peed ....caught it in that net they had me using.....

1) Have insurance (we use Access America) that provides for transportation to a hospital in an emergency.......you know, a helicopter if possible.

2) Get your doctor to write a prescription for the strongest possible "controlled substance" pain relief medication.....needed it once, after 10 minutes, was so high that everyone anywhere close to the emergency room became my friend........ahhhhhhh, life was good........BUT, the pain went away !!!!!!!

Best of luck, and don't stray TOO far from a place to urinate, which most likely you'll be doing at least 12 times a day......4 quarts a day, don't forget !!!!! But cruises are so great, you'll STILL have a wonderful time !

The large bottle of water is actual a one-and-one-half liter bottle of water and as of last week on the Triumph, it was $3.50 each plus the 15% gratuity which puts it at $4.03 each. (I'm pretty sure it's the same price on all ships.)

You can also buy bottles in the ports. I ended up bringing a couple of 1.5 liter bottles back on board each at St Thomas and San Juan and got by fine. In hind sight, the hastle of having to carry it back on board would probably have been worth just paying the on-board price. I think it just annoyed me to be charged gratuity for something that someone just handed to you (like when you get off ship) or left in your room.

I believe the small 16 oz bottles were $2.25 plus gratuity.

I agree that the water on board actually tastes fine but I developed a swelling problem and thought it might have been caused by residual salt in the water so switched to bottled water and it seemed to reduce the swelling but the water is used in the juices (which are condensed) and tea and coffee, etc., so can't totally get away from it unless all you drink is bottled water, soda, or alchohol.

And by the way, if you end up buying insurance in case of emergency at this point -- be sure to double check the pre-existing conditions clauses to be sure you will be covered if you do have a problem on the trip. Some insurances won't cover pre-existing conditions unless you buy within a certain number of days after you book the cruise. You want to be sure you will be covered in case you do have a problem.

Archived