Cabin Stewards on Celebrity

emjsea

Question: how are the cabin stewards on Celebrity?

On Carnival and Costa, the cabin stewards were all or mostly Filipino and they were absolutely insane in the level of service and friendliness they provided.

When I got on RCCL cruises, all the cabin stewards seemed to be Jamaican and they all seemed to be polite enough and did there jobs just enough that you couldn't complain, but they weren't at the incredible level of my previous cruises. I really missed the level of service, but especially missed the real friendliness.

I'll be on Solstice next March so I'm just wondering about all this.

Do cruiselines tend to keep people of the same nationality in the same job area as it seemed to me? I'd assume this makes it easier for them to work together. What are the stewards like on Celebrity?

I have had Indonesian and Filipino cabin attendants on X. One Butler was Filipino, and the other I don't recall. On the Millie, the Assistant Housekeeper was Romanian.

I can tell you that all of them were incredibly friendly and went out of their way to make conversation, ask about our plans, ask how our day was, etc. They kept the room immaculate, brought us treats, kept our water and ice full, etc.

You will be pleased with the stewards on X. I'm not certain if I am correct, but other than security staff (Officers are all Israeli and staff is all Filipino) I don't believe that positions are filled by nationality on X.

On Celebrity, we've had cabin attendants from India, Poland, the Philipines, Czechoslovakia, Guatemala, Jamaica, Bali, all over the world. We've been pleased with the friendliness and level of service we've received from all of them, but a few have really been exceptional.

We've also had attendants from all over the world. We have had one attendant that was pretty awful and made our cruise experience worse (unfortunately, on our honeymoon) but other than that, our stateroom attendants have all been wonderful.

Thanks all for the responses. I hate to stereotype people by nationality (or anything else), but I did notice the "trend" of getting superlative service from folks from the Philipines and India (and to some extent South America) and only getting "good"service from those from Caribbean islands. Though, I have to say, even the worse service I've ever gotten on a cruise is still far better than anything I've gotten in the States! So I'm not complainin' :D

We had an absolutely wonderful guy from Nepal. He was so efficient and genuinely friendly with very good command of the English language. He was refreshing after the Indian and Balinese we've had previously. I agree with others too the Phillipino's are also excellent.

Jillybean:)

Our steward on Mercury last month (NZ/AUS) was Shawn from India. He was absolutely the best one we've ever had. Unfortunately, he said he's going to Solstice when it comes out. So...if you're very lucky, emjsea, you may have the please of having Shawn as your Cabin Attendant.

Hi Everyone !

Celebrity has some of the best Cabin attendants at Sea. In most every case, we have found them to be very eager to please, and as friendly as can be. Celebrity clearly excels in finding the right crew for this position.

Well all this is good to know. The only drawback it is makes waiting for March 8th 2009 at 12 p.m. a bit harder:rolleyes:

I guess I need to quit compaining about how far away 1/09 is :D I can't remember where any of our stewards on X are from and I can't figure out how no one is ever in the hallway when I leave but if I come back in a 1/2 hr my cabin is DONE!!!

Stewards - what stewards? I thought Celebrity had automatic room cleaning devices in all rooms.:D

Seriously though, we have seldom seen our stewards on our Celebrity cruises but the room is always immaculate. Those few times where we have interacted with them, they have been courteous. When you pass one in the hall - any staff not just your own steward - they will greet you with a "good morning/afternoon/evening" but they are not in your face with false friendliness like a TGIFridays waiter.

That was how it was on Carnival and Costa. I missed that when on RCCL. The "magically clean" room, I mean. On CCL and Costa, it seemed anytime I came back to the room to take a shower or nap and then left, when I returned everything was clean, fresh, and in order again. Not so on RCCL where my room was cleaned "only" twice a day.

We had an absolutely wonderful guy from Nepal. He was so efficient and genuinely friendly with very good command of the English language. He was refreshing after the Indian and Balinese we've had previously. I agree with others too the Phillipino's are also excellent.

Jillybean:)

Just adding to this post. I must clarify that the Indian and Balinese stewards are wonderful too. My sentence in the above post read as if I didn't think that.:o I think Celebrity crew in general are excellent in every way and all seem happy in their employment so maybe that's why we get such good service from them all.:)

Archived