Oslo Information

That's a fantastic map, thanks!

I wonder if it might be worth marking the location of Gardermoen airport, just to give people a feel for how far away from the city centre it is.

And what about the other cruise ship dock, in case someone's ship is there rather than at the Akershus?

I went ahead and added all the port facilities that are on the schedule to be used this year. Along with a link to the Oslo Port Authority schedule that tells which ship is scheduled into which facility. ;)

I put together a Google Map with locations of different points of interest, public transportation stops, etc. in Oslo, centered around the cruise terminal.

Great! Super wonderful. I love the Google maps and their outstanding flexibility, etc. I noticed in the Oslo harbor, a large white building going up just south of the train station. It is labeled as Bjorvikautstikkeren. What is that? Is is completed by now? THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Meg, thank you for the map. I looked at the port authority schedule and I'm a little confused. I'll be on the Jewel of the Seas and we are in Oslo Aug. 1st. It looks like we will dock at Ingen Verdi but I don't see that on the map. Can you clarify that?

I'm looking forward to my first visit to Norway!

I looked at the port authority schedule and I'm a little confused. I'll be on the Jewel of the Seas and we are in Oslo Aug. 1st. It looks like we will dock at Ingen Verdi but I don't see that on the map. Can you clarify that?

"Ingen Verdi" = "No Value" :) I'm guessing they don't have the schedule finalized that far in advance.

-Meg

It's the new opera house! I'm guessing it's completed, because it's scheduled to open April 12!-Meg

THANKS for the info and website connection! From looking at the pictures, it is fairly modern and sterile architecture, in my view. Although this new opera house has a super great harbor site, I'm not sure it will gain the super icon status that the opera house has in Sydney. We'll see what kind of reviews it gets when it opens. Then in July when we arrive in the Oslo harbor, we'll know it is. From reading on Oslo, its City Hall has a fairly modern design that gained mixed reviews and opinions when it opened in the 1950 at its prime location. Lots to see and enjoy in our first visit to the Baltics. Terry in Ohio

From reading on Oslo, its City Hall has a fairly modern design that gained mixed reviews and opinions when it opened in the 1950 at its prime location.

The city hall was so bland from the exterior, that we almost by-passed going inside. The interior is impressive and is well worth a look. It is also the presentation site for the Nobel Peace Prize. From there it is a a quick walk to either to the cafes of Aker Brygge or the changing of the guards at the Palace. We really enjoyed walking around Oslo, but very expensive!

"Ingen Verdi" = "No Value" :) I'm guessing they don't have the schedule finalized that far in advance.

-Meg

LOL! Now wonder I couldn't find it on the map. As you see, I don't know any Norwegian! :o

Thanks again for that great map, and for all your help.

• 2 months later...

Kaisatsu,

Thanks for this informative map of Oslo. I have a couple of questions that you may be able to help with. We will be in Oslo for one day (cruise ship stop) on Tuesday Sept 2nd. According to the Port info. site, our ship docks at Vippetangen. How far is the walk from there to the ferry dock to catch a ferry over to Bygdoy?

It seems that the musuems won't open until 10:00 am in September, but we don't dock until 9:00 am, so by the time we get off the ship, buy our Oslo cards, and take the ferry over to Bygdoy, I think it will be close to 10:00. However, the Google site that you made up shows the ferry only runs until mid August. Is that correct, will the ferries be running over to Bygdoy when we are visiting on Sept 2nd?

Thanks for your help or any suggestions.

Just a suggestion -- When we were in Oslo last summer (our third visit), we went directly to a tourist information booth and bought water taxi tickets -- good for all day at a very reasonable cost. The water taxi comes every ten minutes or so at the main dock and has stops at the Viking Museum (about a 4 block walk) and the shipwreck museum.

In the afternoon we took the subway and a bus (very, very inexpensive) up to Frohner Park to see the Vigelund sculptures and have a snack at one of the cafes.

It was a very lovely day and very reasonably priced. Oh, and BTW, the Munch Museum is also easily accessible from the subway.

We will be in Oslo for one day (cruise ship stop) on Tuesday Sept 2nd. According to the Port info. site, our ship docks at Vippetangen. How far is the walk from there to the ferry dock to catch a ferry over to Bygdoy?

It's a ship-length farther than Akershus kaia, and looks to be about 900 m ship to ferry. Depending on how fast you walk, I would guess it would be around 15 minutes' walk.

However, the Google site that you made up shows the ferry only runs until mid August. Is that correct, will the ferries be running over to Bygdoy when we are visiting on Sept 2nd?

No, it's not correct! I believe that last year the ferry stopped earlier, but it looks like this year it will be running until mid-October. Here is the link to the latest ferry schedule. In mid-August, the frequency is reduced to every 30-minutes (compared to the 20-minute summer schedule).

After October 12, you would need to take the bus 30 from Nationaltheatret (about 5-10 minutes further into town).

For convenience, here's a translated copy of the #91 Ferry table linked above...

SUMMER ROUTE
MAY 17 - AUGUST 31
EVERY DAY
        Rådhusbrygga       Dronningen          Bygdøynes          Rådhusbrygga
_________________________________________________________________________________
        near Aker Brygge   Viking Ship Museum  Kon-Tiki Museum          
                           Folk Museum         Polar Ship Fram          
_________________________________________________________________________________
First    08:45              08:55               09:00               09:10
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Every      :15                :25                 :30                 :40
30 min     :45                :55                 :00                 :10
Until    10:45              10:55               11:00               11:10
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
From     11:05              11:20               11:25               11:40
Every      :25                :40                 :45                 :00
20 min     :45                :00                 :05                 :20
          :05                :20                 :25                 :40
Until    16:25              16:40               16:45               17:00
From     16:45              16:55               17:00               17:10
Last     20:45              20:55               21:00               21:10

SEPTEMBER 1 - OCTOBER 12
EVERY DAY
        Rådhusbrygga       Dronningen          Bygdøynes          Rådhusbrygga
        near Aker Brygge   Viking Ship Museum  Kon-Tiki Museum          
                           Folk Museum         Polar Ship Fram          
First    08:45              08:55               09:00               09:10
Last     18:15              18:25               18:30               18:40

Archived