How long is it actually before your Carnival cruise...?

Well, at first I perceived that days remaining to be one of those trick questions.

When I first contemplated this question I had 28 days to go, but upon thinking further, maybe came up with only 27days. Or maybe 29 days.

Each answer only raised more questions. Do you count the current day? How about the day you wake up to go on your vacation? Do you count part of that day if you have not left to the airport yet? Do you add this partial day to the remainder of the current day to come up with whole days?

So I thought about it off and on for another 18 days, at which time I decisively decided that there was now only 10 days left before my Cruise trip. But I still thought it was only fair to say that the correct answer was 9, and loosely speaking there were really 11 more days.

Counting the current day I got 10. Counting the day you wake up to leave on vacation puts me at 11, unless, of course, I didn't count the current day in which I still come up with 10 days remaining.

Now, if I don't count the current day I only have 9 days left before I leave for My Cruise. But I still have to take into consideration that the day you leave for your Cruise counts as well as the hours remaining in the current day, which really left me with 10 days before I leave for my Cruise.

Exhausted, I decided to take what sounded like a very easy question, but in reality, a very difficult question to answer, and mull it over some more.

I woke up today thinking that I only had 3 days remaining but it really felt like I had about 14 days left. How could that be?

I now think that an algorithm needs to be built that takes into account days remaining relative to emotional state of mind, measurable electric energy in the air, and possibly how much coffee you have consumed. Throw into the mix the fluctuation in airline prices, the fact that your vacation will cost more than the person next to you on the plane yet they will be staying a week longer, and whether you perceive that AC will be an important must have item or not. This is an algorithm of relativity.

Days remaining = the difference of today’s Julian date and the departure Julian date summed by the relative base 10 values, not to exceed 10 or but greater than zero, of emotional state of mind, measurable electric energy in the air, amount of coffee consumed, airline price fluctuations, vacation price-point bragging rights, and AC needs -- all divided by perceived days remaining.

Graphing this shows that, relatively speaking, when you are 60 days away, your approach to your departure days shows a downward trend in the graph as you get closer and closer to that date. But something interesting starts to happen once you are about 7 days away. The graph of the days remaining starts to move back up. Each approaching day the upward slope becomes steeper and steeper. If you were to plot out to the very second the plane departed, it would look as though the days remaining had approached infinity -- that it appeared that your trip to My Cruise would never come... that if you had to wait one second longer, you would explode into a ball of atomic reaction. Only when the wheels of the plane starts moving does the graph plunge down in nearly a straight line and lands firmly on the number of days remaining... zero.

I work in the medical field, and we have to count days ALL the time, when we hold beds or charge people for days in the facility, etc etc. The standard practice is to count the number of midnights... The number of midnights = the number of days : )

Not quite as well thought out as your computations, but I will share your theory at work - maybe we can rethink our billing : )

OCD is one of my favorite disorders!

Today, well actually tonight, is Thursday. We fly out tomorrow. We sail on Saturday. So what 2 days? 1 Day? really really soon, whatever!

lord do I have laundry to finish!

I work in the medical field, and we have to count days ALL the time, when we hold beds or charge people for days in the facility, etc etc. The standard practice is to count the number of midnights... The number of midnights = the number of days : )

Not quite as well thought out as your computations, but I will share your theory at work - maybe we can rethink our billing : )

That's what I thought. The number of midnights! :)

LOL....sounds like my reasoning before a cruise....let's see, only 31 days til my cruise but I don't count today because it's already started and I really shouldn't count the day before the cruise because we're heading south where it's warm and we're away from this blasted snow...... or sometimes it's like the day after the day after the day after the day after tomorrow....I really have too much time on my hands ;)

:confused: Your cruise needs to start tomorrow so you can stop thinking so much:p

I don't count the day we set sail or the current day because it's what's in the middle that I have to make it through.........if that makes sense

Makes sense to me :D

Well, at first I perceived that days remaining to be one of those trick questions.

When I first contemplated this question I had 28 days to go, but upon thinking further, maybe came up with only 27days. Or maybe 29 days.

Each answer only raised more questions. Do you count the current day? How about the day you wake up to go on your vacation? Do you count part of that day if you have not left to the airport yet? Do you add this partial day to the remainder of the current day to come up with whole days?

So I thought about it off and on for another 18 days, at which time I decisively decided that there was now only 10 days left before my Cruise trip. But I still thought it was only fair to say that the correct answer was 9, and loosely speaking there were really 11 more days.

Counting the current day I got 10. Counting the day you wake up to leave on vacation puts me at 11, unless, of course, I didn't count the current day in which I still come up with 10 days remaining.

Now, if I don't count the current day I only have 9 days left before I leave for My Cruise. But I still have to take into consideration that the day you leave for My Cruise counts as well as the hours remaining in the current day, which really left me with 10 days before I leave for My Cruise.

Exhausted, I decided to take what sounded like a very easy question, but in reality, a very difficult question to answer, and mull it over some more.

I woke up today thinking that I only had 3 days remaining but it really felt like I had about 14 days left. How could that be?

I now think that an algorithm needs to be built that takes into account days remaining relative to emotional state of mind, measurable electric energy in the air, and possible how much coffee you have consumed. Throw into the mix the fluctuation in airline prices, the fact that your vacation will cost more than the person next to you on the plane yet they will be staying a week longer, and whether you perceive that AC will be an important must have item or not. This is an algorithm of relativity.

Days remaining = the difference of today’s Julian date and the departure Julian date summed by the relative base 10 values, not to exceed 10 or but greater than zero, of emotional state of mind, measurable electric energy in the air, amount of coffee consumed, airline price fluctuations, vacation price-point bragging rights, and AC needs -- all divided by perceived days remaining.

Graphing this shows that, relatively speaking, when you are 60 days away, your approach to your departure days shows a downward trend in the graph as you get closer and closer to that date. But something interesting starts to happen once you are about 7 days away. The graph of the days remaining starts to move back up. Each approaching day the upward slope becomes steeper and steeper. If you were to plot out to the very second the plane departed, it would look as though the days remaining had approached infinity -- that it appeared that your trip to My Cruise would never come... that if you had to wait one second longer, you would explode into a ball of atomic reaction. Only when the wheels of the plane starts moving does the graph plunge down in nearly a straight line and lands firmly on the number of days remaining... zero.

ROFLMAO!!! What you said :p

When DD was young, it was hard to convey to her elapsed time in terms of days, but one time I gave her the count in terms of the number of sleeps, and that made sense to her. And then to me.

And I have used it ever since.

But don't get ever get me into a discussion as to what "Next Sunday" means.

"Graphing this shows that, relatively speaking, when you are 60 days away, your approach to your departure days shows a downward trend in the graph as you get closer and closer to that date. But something interesting starts to happen once you are about 7 days away. The graph of the days remaining starts to move back up. Each approaching day the upward slope becomes steeper and steeper."

God! I hope this is not true because at 15 days to go, I cannot imagine the days getting any steeper :eek:

My countdown starts with the day I walk out the door to go to the airport. I count the whole travel experience as vacation. It makes me excited to be at my gate and the flight destination board says, "San Juan" or "Santo Domingo". When I am passing through the airport going someplace else and see other people sitting at those gates I am wishing I was on their flight!

We arrive a day early, so my countdown clocks always countdown to the day prior to the cruise. Can't wait because I am almost in double digits.

Archived