November 2009 - Solstice or Equinox

Mintycake

Hello

I am looking at booking a TA cruise. I'm a first time Celebrity cruiser and there is a 14 day on Equinox and a 13 day on Solstice. Similar iteneraries:

13 day solstice: Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy, Florence, Italy, Nice(Villefranche), France, Barcelona, Spain, Cartagena, Spain, At Sea

Madeira (Funchal), Portugal, 6 sea days, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

14 day Equinox

Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy, Provence(Marseilles), France, Barcelona, Spain, Palma De Mallorca, Spain, Cartagena, Spain, At Sea, Lanzarote, Canary Islands, Tenerife, Canary Islands, 6 sea days, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Both offer interesting ports that I've never been in. The 13 day one would work better for my work schedule though.

Two questions:

1) which iteniary is better?

2) On either ship, we want a balcony. I'm not sure we can be persuaded to upgrade to Aqua Class as there's a large price difference but any recommended cabins or areas? I've sailed midship and aft and both are fine.

Thank you!

Hello

I am looking at booking a TA cruise. I'm a first time Celebrity cruiser and there is a 14 day on Equinox and a 13 day on Solstice. Similar iteneraries:

13 day solstice: Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy, Florence, Italy, Nice(Villefranche), France, Barcelona, Spain, Cartagena, Spain, At Sea

Madeira (Funchal), Portugal, 6 sea days, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

14 day Equinox

Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy, Provence(Marseilles), France, Barcelona, Spain, Palma De Mallorca, Spain, Cartagena, Spain, At Sea, Lanzarote, Canary Islands, Tenerife, Canary Islands, 6 sea days, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Both offer interesting ports that I've never been in. The 13 day one would work better for my work schedule though.

Two questions:

1) which iteniary is better?

2) On either ship, we want a balcony. I'm not sure we can be persuaded to upgrade to Aqua Class as there's a large price difference but any recommended cabins or areas? I've sailed midship and aft and both are fine.

Thank you!

What is the price difference between the two? I know we're paying $1,478 for a veranda cabin (Cat. 2B) on the Equinox TA. Is the Solstice, being one day shorter, much of a difference in price?

Jo-Ann

Tough call...

I loved Marseilles, but really think Florence and Nice (Monaco/Monte Carlo) are places not to miss!!!

Mallorca and Canary Island are more like typical Caribbean Islands for us.

The price difference is strange, it's actually about $100 cheaper so the issue isn't about price. I think we might do 13 night just because of my work schedule and I really want to see Florence. THough I wonder if I'm missing out on something by missing the Canary Islands.

The price difference is strange, it's actually about $100 cheaper so the issue isn't about price. I think we might do 13 night just because of my work schedule and I really want to see Florence. THough I wonder if I'm missing out on something by missing the Canary Islands.

You will be missing more by not visitig Florence and Monaco.

We booked the Equinox and did not know the Solstice offered a transatlantic because we had been told that she was in the Carribbean year round. Now we have a dilemma. We like the ports on the Solstice transatlantic better, but prefer the date of the Equinox. We did the westbound transatlantic last December on the Brilliance and even though we were back in time for Christmas, it seemed to have taken away from the holiday season. DH wants to change, but I don't. At least we have a long time to think about it.

Well all things equal, I think we're leaning towards the 13 day on the Solstice. It requires me to use up less vacation days because it leaves on a Monday. However, do you think it will be very cold in early Dec when we cross the Atlantic? I'm just concerned with that many sea days and not being able to use the pool, upper deck, etc.

Well all things equal, I think we're leaning towards the 13 day on the Solstice. It requires me to use up less vacation days because it leaves on a Monday. However, do you think it will be very cold in early Dec when we cross the Atlantic? I'm just concerned with that many sea days and not being able to use the pool, upper deck, etc.

Solstice has solarium pool

66842.jpg

Looks very cool and cozy. :)

Now you've got me thinking....those dates actually work better for us too. We'd only need to take 2 weeks vacation, instead of 3 needed for the Equinox.

Hmm...decisions, decisions.

Anybody know what the possible difference is in weather/seas going via Portugal with Solstice vs. Canary Islands on Equinox?

Jo-Ann

Now you've got me thinking....those dates actually work better for us too. We'd only need to take 2 weeks vacation, instead of 3 needed for the Equinox.

Hmm...decisions, decisions.

Anybody know what the possible difference is in weather/seas going via Portugal with Solstice vs. Canary Islands on Equinox?

Jo-Ann

Ignore previous question. DH just informed me he can't take any vacation time during the month of December. We'll just keep the Equinox.

Jo-Ann

We did the Dec. 2 Brilliance from Barcelona to Miami. I brought all winter clothes. It was warm the entire trip and the pools were jam packed like it was the dead of summer. I have a whole wardrobe of Brilliance 2 for $10 t-shirts I had to buy because fleece didn't work. Even the ocean temperature was warm-like 78 degrees. It has been much much cooler on the spring transatlantics. Bracelona and every port was warm and sunny. The only bad day we had was 1 day out from Miami and that was very windy (but still warm). We are sticking with the Equinox.

Thank you all so much for your feedback. My husband and I are booked on the Equinox Nov. 30th. We booked a balcony room as we didn't feel that Concierge class or Aqua spa was really worth it (though our TA did say she'd watch for a price drop and let us know). The deal is really good as is the airfare, and we can even have a deviation as by the time this sailing comes we will be part of Captains Club (as we are sailing Celebrity later this year).

Super excited. She looks like a beautiful ship!

Thank you all so much for your feedback. My husband and I are booked on the Equinox Nov. 30th. We booked a balcony room as we didn't feel that Concierge class or Aqua spa was really worth it (though our TA did say she'd watch for a price drop and let us know). The deal is really good as is the airfare, and we can even have a deviation as by the time this sailing comes we will be part of Captains Club (as we are sailing Celebrity later this year).

Super excited. She looks like a beautiful ship!

I think you meant to say you booked the Solstice for Nov. 30. The Equinox sails Nov. 5. Just make sure you show up at the right ship on the right date!!!LOL

Jo-Ann

Hope it's the Solstice as to miss Florence is to miss one of the world's greatest cities. (I gather you haven't been there.) It's a dream and you'll have a fun year planning your day there. I once spent 9 days there with a girlfriend when we ran away from home for a girls only escape from our husbands.

Also, Villefranche, Monaco-Monte Carlo-Nice-St. Paul de Vence are all dreamy. You'll adore whatever excursion you choose.

We've looked into the Solstice also and considered Aqua Class vs. CC or regular balcony. You may know that Aqua Class assigned dining is only in Blu. I think we'd miss the main dining room although we'd certainly try to dine in Blu at least once. The other dining choices sound intriguing though. You'll have a fabulous cruise, I'm sure.

Mary Anne

Yes I meant the Solstice! November 30th, LOL. I have never been to any of the ports of call and neither has my husband so it will be a treat. He has always wanted to go to Rome (we're both ancient history buffs) and we are looking forward to spending a couple of days there pre-cruise.

• 2 months later...

If you've never been to Florence, it would be a shame to be so close and not go there. It's one of the most beautiful cities in Europe, perhaps the world. I'm excited to see it again. Villefranche-Nice-Monaco are very special, too.

My husband and I, and three other couples, booked the 11/30 Solstice TA.

At only one day less, it was significantly less expensive. I also preferred the itinerary.

Yes, it may be a little chillier in early December than early November. But as someone who has lived in South Florida for 26 years, hence 26 hurricane seasons, you will be very happy to be sailing after the official end of hurricane season on Nov. 30. There are some occasional December storms (as in 2005, but that was a terrible season from beginning to end), but it's not common. Early November storms are usually in the Gulf of Mexico but can still pop up in Atlantic. I'll take chilly weather over stormy, high seas anytime.

Europe will also be a little chillier and rainier in December than November, but on the positive side, much less crowded. You'll actually get into the Duomo, Uffizzi, etc. without long lines.

See you then.

Archived