Conquest Captain Boots Man off Ship for Starting A Protest !!!03/16/08 Cruise

rsjc

I guess you missed the final 2 paragraphs of my post. For your convenience:

I have offered MY opinion, if you permit. Just not responded to the specific points you bought up.

"But really, my point is larger than that. On cruiseships, as in life, stuff happens. Things don't always go as planned. Unhappy people belly-ache and try to make someone else pay, in one way or another, for their "victimization." Happy people, on the other hand, roll with the punches, find the adventure in unexpected events, and get on with life. (In this case, they might also be grateful that such extraordinary measures would have been taken for THEM if THEY had been the one who became desperately ill.)

In my world unhappy people are permitted to exist and I am willing to accomodate them as much as I can bear.

. . .

I'm not sure how the cruiseline could have "prevented" the ectopic pregnancy, since by definition they usually happen before the woman is aware that she's pregnant.

My emphasis was on policy which would require appropriate medical exam so that a CREWMEMBER with an at risk pregnancy would not be on the ship. Since the Cruiseline failed to prevent the sick crewmember boarding the consequences rest with them. One of the consequence was that 3000 passengers did not visit a port that they have paid for. (Incidentally the crewmember WAS aware of her pregnacy.)

The buyers did get what they paid for -- which did NOT include guarantees about ports.

We of course disagree.

Future discounts are monetary compensation, just FYI.

Has a value, but they are not considered "monetary compentsation", a tax-writeoff.

Exactly what redress would make you happy?

Oh, silly person, only I can make me happy.

Regarding the two waitresses, what does being Asian have to do with it? :confused:

I guess their cultural background that set them apart from some others and it was not learned or trained, but natural. Similar comments are often made about ladies of asian background, especialy S. Asia. One was from Nepal the other was Thai.

The buyers did get what they paid for -- which did NOT include guarantees about ports.

We of course disagree.

You can disagree all you want. The fact is, the policy is stated exceedingly clearly in the contract you entered into.

Still waiting to hear your brilliant ideas on how a cruise line can prevent pregnancy in female staff.

and are they immediatly thrown overboard the moment they find out? Or is there a fair and reasonable effort to get her off quickly in a humane manner?

IF the story was true and that the medical emergency concerned a crew-member with an ectopic pregnancy, then it was the cruiseline's fault that they do not have policy to prevent such occurence.

By far one of the dumbest comments in this thread

SO now what policy should they put in place, required sterilization:rolleyes:

I just found out about this site, never heard of it before.

I was on that cruise and it serves them right, the man was being belligerent and threatening at the same time. I have him on video

and you can clearly hear him use threats directed at Carnival crew members. I have already offered Carnival a copy of the tape plus testifying as a Carnival witness, if need be!

Please post this on you tube

I thought of something else that may have caused some people to believe that they deserved some of their money back (whether rightly, or wrongly so).

This cruise left durring spring break season and, if you check the prices, is almost twice as expensive as a cruise that leaves a few weeks before or a few weeks after. Taking that into account, it seems reasonable to assume that Carnival was taking a large profit from this cruise. I know it's entirely possible that they did not, in fact, take such a large profit, but I can see how some of the people who took that cruise might think that the company could afford to refund a little more.

you know technically you are only getting about 1/3rd of a day inconvenienced by missing a port.

Now, our latest booking that we have is for 2 people on a 7 day cruise and we are paying $1100. fees included for an inside cabin.

1100/2=550/7=78.57/3=26.19

26.19-25.= exactly 1.19 that carnival owes this guy in some wacked out mental state.....I'll throw in a quarter if it helps.

Heck, I'll put in $10. if we can get the guy to agree to never step foot on any cruise again.

I'm amazed at all the FOX News folks who call themselves conservatives but would prefer the death of a fetus over an inconvenienced vacation. Priorities, folks.

OMG - That's the funniest thing I've read all day!!!:D

Thanks for the laugh.

I thought of something else that may have caused some people to believe that they deserved some of their money back (whether rightly, or wrongly so).

This cruise left durring spring break season and, if you check the prices, is almost twice as expensive as a cruise that leaves a few weeks before or a few weeks after. Taking that into account, it seems reasonable to assume that Carnival was taking a large profit from this cruise. I know it's entirely possible that they did not, in fact, take such a large profit, but I can see how some of the people who took that cruise might think that the company could afford to refund a little more.

Yeah, after doubling back, not once but twice, spending an extra day at sea and burning fuel not budgeted for (I have a ballpark figure on what similarly sized ship burns and it ain't cheap), paying staff to stay on duty who normally would have a partial day off, people consuming food when they would normally be off the ship eating at the port, medivac-ing an employee to a hospital, running water purification systems, etc. It's entirely possible that they didn't have a very high profit margin, if at all, after all this.

And now the petition supporters are blaming the cruise line for not preventing the pregnancy? It seems the more holes that get poked in their defense, the stranger the defense becomes.

Yeah, after doubling back, not once but twice, spending an extra day at sea and burning fuel not budgeted for (I have a ballpark figure on what similarly sized ship burns and it ain't cheap), paying staff to stay on duty who normally would have a partial day off, people consuming food when they would normally be off the ship eating at the port, medivac-ing an employee to a hospital, running water purification systems, etc. It's entirely possible that they didn't have a very high profit margin, if at all, after all this.

And now the petition supporters are blaming the cruise line for not preventing the pregnancy? It seems the more holes that get poked in their defense, the stranger the defense becomes.

It's simple the crew member should not have been on ship. Had she not been there this problem would not have happened and people would not have spoken badly of me for trying to exercise my constatutional rights to freedom of speech, freedom to protest something I feel is not right. And thanks for asking yes its good to be in the USA.

It's simple the crew member should not have been on ship. Had she not been there this problem would not have happened and people would not have spoken badly of me for trying to exercise my constatutional rights to freedom of speech, freedom to protest something I feel is not right. And thanks for asking yes its good to be in the USA.

Your "constitutional rights" were left behind in the USA. In international waters, the authority of the ship Captain cannot and must not be open to direct challange. You might wind up charged with "terroristic threats" and find yourself in a small cell in Cuba, where your "constitutional rights" might not do you any more good than it does the rest of population that reside there.

If someone needed a helicopter to get medical attention he was very ill. A life is worth more than a stop in Jamaica. The captain did the right thing. You can always go back and see Jamaica another time

Of course I would want the best means of tranportation for medical emergency. To save a human life theres no question, abort the trip. There is a part 2 to this .

What is done is done. As there seems to be no real resolution unless Carnival decides to "compensate" more, and everyone has their own opinions on this matter, I think it is time for this thread to go "poof"!

I have a small question that some of the more seasoned travelers on this board may be able to answer. I was under the impression that pregnant crew members were not allowed on board since they are more likely to suffer emergency situations that may require timely care. If this is true, then why was this woman on board?

I am glad to hear that she received care in time, and despite the loss of her baby, is doing well.

Good Question

Please explain why she should not have been on board ? ? ?

Was you wife working when she was pregnant for the first time ? ? Was she allowed to keep working untill some weeks before birthgiving ? ? Or was she fired when her boss found out she was pregnant ? ?

i was on that cruise and signed the petition.

There are a few points I would like to make...

- There are no objections to captain decision to change the course of the ship to address critical health situation of the passenger/crew, IF that was the only option.

- There are different types of people: somebody likes to stay on the ship, but for someone the primary objective is to visit new places, so no doubts that skipping Jamaica is a BIG impact on vacation plans for those people from the secind group

- Analyzing the situation, you can see that Carnival as a company does not have efficient way or did not want to proceed with more efficient ways to address such situations without impacting the people's vacation. There are long reach helicopters they could use to pick up somebody from the ship without changing the course... but i guess they picked cheaper solution.

- All this demonstrates that taking a cruise is really taking a chance: you just cannot rely on efficient handling of situation by Carnival as a company.

- Signing this petition,.. money was a secondary matter for me; there is a matter of principal here.

Matter of principle? How can justify that when your next statement clearly indicates a lack of respect for your fellow human beings well being? Captains go through years of training and refining and are tasked with more responsibility in one cruise then you will be in your entire life. Yet your armchair captain intellect could have surely produced better results :rolleyes:

I read all these responses and was prepared to write a "novel" in response. Luckily you wrote exactly what I was thinking. I think it's unconscionable to offer $25 when they typically offer at least $100 if initally you book at least 5 cabins.

The people on this list don't seem to realize that for some of us this is a once in a life time thing. How about this scenario, you book a cruise to Hawaii (5 "FUN DAYS AT SEA") then because of weather they miss 3 of the 5 ports and offer $75 and 3 more "FUN DAYS AT SEA", is that acceptable?

Or this: we book this cruise specifically to stop in Montego Bay because we spent our honeymoon there in 1971. Sorry we missed it, here is $25.

It was bad enough when Carnival bypassed their private island (where most planned their one and only snorkeling trip) with NO compensation, just another "FUN DAY AT SEA" on our last cruise. To miss an entire port, possibly the one port I booked the cruise for, and to be offered $25 is outrageous.

IMHO

If that one port is what was important to you, perhaps you should have flown there?

Kudos to the Captain. He did the right thing.

Archived