White Dinner Jackets

jp1

If I had to wear a white jacket I would look like the Pillsbery Dough Boy!!

I think it would be very nice to wear. Remember, you can never be overdressed, only underdressed.

If they want to wear them, go for it.

There is no way you would like the Pillsbury Dough Boy. White dinner jackets are not white-white at least the one my husband has and those that I have seen other men wearing at various functions. They are available in winter white or off-white-more towards the ivory end of white.

On my last cruise--Summit Southern Caribbean--I alternated a black tux with a white dinner jacket and am glad I did. I never got so many compliments as when I wore the dinner jacket. It was extra packing, but it is nice for a little variety.

Hi, All,

My DH rented a white dinner jacket package on the Celebrity site and we were very happy with that service. NO packing!!!!! Also we thought white would be fun for the Caribbean. He looked great, but there were many more black tuxes. We were definately outnumbered, but the look is great for the tropics. We would do it again. In the meantime, I'm looking into buying, but that would be black as it is more all purpose. Thanks for the web sites posted. I plan to shop around. By the way, the March 7-17, 2008 Galaxy cruise had 2 formal nights. About half had tuxes and half had dark suits. I didn't see many people who didn't follow the dress code. Bon Voyage to all!

My two cents worth......I used to bring both a black tux and white dinner jacket when cruising in warm weather. My DW thinks that the white jacket is out of style and does not like me wearing it.

So thanks to all of you out there that still like it. I'm going to send this thread on to her........maybe put a little sense in her head!!

Rick

I could be wrong, but, I believe, technically, outside the British Isles, the white dinner jacket is the 'tropically correct' form of the tux for tropical/summer/hot weather.

I tried to talk my DH into alternating the white/black jackets on our upcoming cruise just as he's done for other Carib cruises before, but he decided it will be the white jacket both nites. I told him several years ago that it's the 'hot weather' form of mens formal black tie and he's sticking to it. I think he feels 'dapper' in the white dinner jacket. I can't complain. I love the look!;)

Happy cruising!

Denise

The new styles they are showing, is not to wear the cumberbun with the tux. They also are saying that wing collar shirts out not to worn except with tails. So other then a pleated shirt and a bow tie and they are even wearing black narrow silk/satin tie, there is not much different then a suit. No patent leather shoes.

Wing collars were never to have been worn with anything other than tails but it became rather fashionable in recent years to wear them with a tux. The double breasted tux can be worn without a cumberbun but a single breasted one should be worn with a cumberbun as it prevents the shirt from appearing below the button of the jacket. In the tropics it is quit acceptable to wear a white dinner jacket year round but above the tropics a white dinner jacket should only be worn from the Victoria Day weekend in Canada or Memorial Day in the US though to Labour Day.

Bought one second hand from a Tux shop for my last cruise. Wore the black tux the first formal night and the white coat the second formal night. The unbiased :) opinion from the family members was that they liked the white jacket better. Plus everyone else had a black tux or a dark suit. I'm only bringing the white dinner jacket on the upcoming Century short cruise. If you've never tried the white jacket I think you'll be presently surprised on how they look!!

Wing collars were never to have been worn with anything other than tails but it became rather fashionable in recent years to wear them with a tux. The double breasted tux can be worn without a cumberbun but a single breasted one should be worn with a cumberbun as it prevents the shirt from appearing below the button of the jacket. In the tropics it is quit acceptable to wear a white dinner jacket year round but above the tropics a white dinner jacket should only be worn from the Victoria Day weekend in Canada or Memorial Day in the US though to Labour Day.

You are so right about when to wear a wing collar. But check the recent GQ magazine, they are not wearing cumberbuns, I think it is a little odd the trend seamed to have started in Europe last year. So Putterdude, I like my wing collar but would you wear it with a white dinner jacket?

Putter - Thanks for letting me know I was right! I LOVE it when that happens, it's so darn rare!!!! And you're absolutely correct. The white dinner jacket is only supposed to be worn Memorial Day thru Labor Day except in the tropics.

Forgive my breach in etiquette, but I plan to wear white shoes, shorts, skirts, blouses, purses, and hats on our April Carib cruise. Forgive me?;) It's funny, cuz while my darling Randy is wearing his white dinner jacket on formal nites, I'll be wearing black!

I also wear white AFTER Labor Day!:eek: Shame on me!:D

Happy cruising!

Denise

Well its funny, my wife who wanted a "White" wedding still hasn't forgiven me after 37 years for refusing to wear a white dinner jacket for our wedding in October and wore a tux instead. Now can anyone tell me if I can wear white socks with my tux?

LOL...This thread is getting funnier every time I log on. It reminds me of the story entitled "The Emperor's New Clothes" where he was so concerned with style, he ended up going naked, only wearing a smile. :D

I'm in complete support of your 'suggestion'! You first, though!!!;)

Happy cruising!

Denise

Well its funny, my wife who wanted a "White" wedding still hasn't forgiven me after 37 years for refusing to wear a white dinner jacket for our wedding in October and wore a tux instead. Now can anyone tell me if I can wear white socks with my tux?

I would think PINK is the only viable option.;):p

Happy cruising!

Denise

I'm glad someone raised this topic.

I've been looking around for a white (not cream-coloured) dinner jacket for some time.

I can get one tailored for a fortune, but I've been trying to find a less-expensive one off the rack. I've yet to find a retailer around here that sells them off the rack.

Any suggestions, anyone?

That's right, get the "White, not cream colored" jackets that are all polyester and are MACHINE WASHABLE! The reason it costs so much to get one made is that no real tailor will touch the stuff.

For my upcoming Med cruise.

I was a bigger guy when I originally bought it, size 48. When I lost a few pounds I had it cut down to a 44 by a really good Italian tailor for about $125. Not a bad deal since I had paid over $500. for my wool ivory jacket to begin with. I've had it now for 12 years and its still great.

Unfortunatley after the dry cleaning and packing a number of times the shoulder pads got funky, so I dropped it off to have new pads put in, estimated cost around $45.

So overall I've invested about $675 for a jacket I LOVE, and it averages out to only $55.00 a year...not all that bad.

Dave:eek:

Archived