White Dinner Jackets

jp1

Having been on several cruises and looking forward to our next one 15-day thru Panama in 2009. Thought it would be fun to have our guys rent white dinner jackets. They usually wear their own black tuxes on formal night. I have read so many posts about proper attire and how there are so many who don't follow the guidelines. We always do and look forward to dress up night. Its a shame the guidelines are not followed by everyone and would suggest those that don't want to dress up eat in alternate dining areas other than the main dining room. So my question is, has anyone had experience with renting the white dinner jackets by Celebrity and how many like the idea of doing so. Thanks much!!

I have the white dinner jacket, along with the tux, so, I dont rent it. But, I like it, because it provides variety. That said, I didn't pack it for our last cruise, and didn't miss it. Plus the luggage was lighter. For me, it is is a 'depends on my mood' thing.

I have seen others wear a white dinner jacket, but it is not very common.

Having been on several cruises and looking forward to our next one 15-day thru Panama in 2009. Thought it would be fun to have our guys rent white dinner jackets. They usually wear their own black tuxes on formal night. I have read so many posts about proper attire and how there are so many who don't follow the guidelines. We always do and look forward to dress up night. Its a shame the guidelines are not followed by everyone and would suggest those that don't want to dress up eat in alternate dining areas other than the main dining room. So my question is, has anyone had experience with renting the white dinner jackets by Celebrity and how many like the idea of doing so. Thanks much!!
For what it's worth, remember that the waiters wear black tux every night EXCEPT formal nights. On formal nights the waiters wear white dinner jackets [presumably to allow the male passengers to shine]. So don't be surprised if someone asks you to bring them another dessert:D [i took my white dinner jacket in addition to my tux on my first =X= cruise; haven't taken it since. But there is certainly nothing wrong with a dinner jacket if you so choose.]

I'm glad someone raised this topic.

I've been looking around for a white (not cream-coloured) dinner jacket for some time.

I can get one tailored for a fortune, but I've been trying to find a less-expensive one off the rack. I've yet to find a retailer around here that sells them off the rack.

Any suggestions, anyone?

I've been looking around for a white (not cream-coloured) dinner jacket for some time.

I can get one tailored for a fortune, but I've been trying to find a less-expensive one off the rack. I've yet to find a retailer around here that sells them off the rack.

Any suggestions, anyone?

Ebay:) . Got this silk dinner jacket for my DH on Ebay for $19, and I think he looks like a million bucks in it.

1614564427_Markkaraokesm.jpg.98901a855a38ac08107e9f540b2fec08.jpg

I'll be getting on as your getting off:D .

John and I are actually bringing both our tuxes and dinner jackets as well. With 3 formal nights it'll be nice to mix it up a bit.

As for the rest of our wardrobe, we've been able to whittle our luggage down to one checked bag each, one small checked bag ( toiletries, meds. ..etc. ) {if we have to pay xtra for it its worth it}. and a carry on each.

We are planning on packing like its a 4 day trip, and then having laundry done twice during the cruise.

At this time Lufthansa allows 2 50lb bags per person and two carryons in Business Class...so we could drag along our entire closet....however, we are planning on taking the train from the airport to the hotel and to the port so the lighter the better.

However if I had to decide between the two, I'd choose the dinner jacket...its a little more mediterranean.

Dave:eek:

Dave,

I saw reports that from last June on the Galaxy that there were only two formal nights. as I understand it up to the Captain when and how many. But at this point I am planning on three. We are flying Aerlingus and are allow one 70 lb bag or two 40 lb bags. How heavy can summer closes get. Our big issue is that we are flying in from Virginia on JetBlue 50 lb limit unless they waiver that because we are flying Aerlingus. We shall soon see.

You will actually be the first to enjoy the refurbished Galaxy. I believe the transatlantic crossing they will still be working on the ship. What other reason was that sailing sooooooooo cheap? If you get a chance could you report to us the number of formal nights? I would greatly appreciate it.

Tom

I took a 21 day Panama Canal - Ft. Lauderdale to Vancouver in 06 and there were five formal nights. I brought a black as well as a white tux jacket. I wanted some variety. I also brought the traditional white shirt plus a black shirt, several tie types and a vest. So there I was spending half an hour deciding what to wear :) In one of our earlier ports, I hunted down a flower shop and ordered a boutonniere. Kept it in the mini fridge in our stateroom and it lasted for three formal nights. It makes a great accent and certainly makes the jacket stand out.

The ships officers wear white when the temperature is above a certain degree, and then change to navy when the temp drops. At least I think that is how it works. North of San Francisco, everyone was in navy uniforms.

I think it’s a great idea and would love to see more men wearing tuxes, black or white.

Any suggestions, anyone?

Try this link:

http://uniformalwearhouse.com/apages/tuxedojackets2.html

My husband ordered the $39.95 jacket, but they called and said they were sold out in his size. So he ordered the $69.95 jacket, and it arrived quickly, fit great, and we were most happy. Wish they'd had the less expensive one, but we still feel like we got a pretty good deal for $69. DH will be sporting the jacket next week on the Connie!! :)

My Randy loves the white dinner jackets on tropical cruises. Charming! He'll be wearing one on our upcoming Carib cruise in 11 days!!!

And if you're looking for one and don't wish to spend a fortune....try JosABank at josbank.com.

Happy cruising!

Denise

I couldn't resist reading this thread regarding white dinner jackets. DH use to bring one in addition to his tux. I thought he looked very classy in the dinner jacket, and I liked it very much! I'm so glad that others are planning on wearing theirs. In tropical climates, they look wonderful. :)

Any suggestions, anyone?

I would be looking at some of the tux rental shops in the TO area or picking up one the next time you are in FL before a cruise; they should do alterations in a few hours for you. The last one that I purchased was in Seattle some years ago and it was much less expensive then what I would have paid in Vancouver.

For my own two cents, I own two tuxes, both traditional black, and love formal nights. I have to say that there are not that many white tux jackets on formal nights anymore. I think they look nice, but I think it would depend on the age group of those sporting them. I think white jackets on older men look better. I'm 44 and I tried one on recently and had to pass. Made me look like the ice cream man.

Either way, at least you're making the effort to adhere to the traditions of formal night, and for that I applaud you!

Thank you for all your comments. I will share them with our guys and see if they are game.....although once they read the "ice cream man" comment, they may not. Thanks for the chuckle on that comment - love it!! Men look so nice in black tuxes as well so might just keep traditional going. JP

Thank you for all your comments. I will share them with our guys and see if they are game.....although once they read the "ice cream man" comment, they may not. Thanks for the chuckle on that comment - love it!! Men look so nice in black tuxes as well so might just keep traditional going. JP

The new styles they are showing, is not to wear the cumberbun with the tux. They also are saying that wing collar shirts out not to worn except with tails. So other then a pleated shirt and a bow tie and they are even wearing black narrow silk/satin tie, there is not much different then a suit. No patent leather shoes.

If I had to wear a white jacket I would look like the Pillsbery Dough Boy!!

I think it would be very nice to wear. Remember, you can never be overdressed, only underdressed.

If they want to wear them, go for it.

The last cruise our little group of three couples did I was the only gentleman who didn't bring a white dinner jacket in addition to my tux. This trip, I'm planning on wearing one. They make a great variation, especially if you want to pretend you're Richard Blane:rolleyes: :D :cool:

Think James Bond. It looks great on ALL men. Trust me, DH is not Sean, Roger of Pierce and is looks very, very nice with the black trousers and a black bow tie and cummerbund. I kind of like the red rose boutonnière with it too.:)

Archived