Outlet/adapter question

stillcruisin'

Looking to buy an adapter and/or extension cord for our upcoming cruise. Just need to know if the outlet in the staterooms on the M-Class ships are three-prong (grounded) or two. Will I overload the outlet if I have a three-outlet adapter AND and extension cord all using the same outlet?

Three prong US grounded outlet. Just having three things plugged in doesn't mean you'll overload it - it all depends on the current draw of the three things. An alarm clock and two battery chargers shouldn't be a problem. A hair dryer, curling iron and travel iron (not allowed in any event) all running at the same time might cause a problem.

I think there is also a 220v Europe type outlet as well, not 100% sure about that.

they have both 110 volt US three prong outlets , plus 220 volt European style plugs. The ships crew uses the 220 volt electric service for vacumn cleaners and other electrical services. These plugs are not generally very accessible in the stateroom, but you can get at them if you really want to. Just be sure, and you must use an adapter to do this, do NOT plug any appliance into this circuit unless it is rated for 110/220 volt service.

This applies to both the ship but also European hotels. Laptop computer, battery/cell phone chargers are ok. Hair dryers and similar appliances are generally not. Be carefull.

As Lsimon suggests, it's not the number of outlets, it's what, and how many, you plug into them and have turned on at the same time.

From your query, it sounds like you have plans to use several appliances. I'd say you should reconsider this as it sounds potentially dangerous. There is a risk of fire if you overload the cabin's outlet. Celebrity instructs people not to bring irons and hair dryers for this very reason.

In terms of electricity consumption, the highest users are those that generate heat (like an iron).

Next are those that generate movement (such as a fan)

Then there are those that produce light (an electric lamp)

Lastly appliances connected via a transformer (adapter) use least current (e.g. a battery charger).

One of the very worst is a hair dryer, because it is produces both heat and movement.

Please, for all our sakes, be extremely careful and thoughtful about what you intend to do. At the very least, put your question to the cruise company and abide by their answer.

To my surprise in our Infinity cabin, we had 3 prong receptacles in our cabin that would accept 20 amp (high current) appliances. They accept the outlets with a horizontal prong:

6114.jpg

Our Millennium cabin had the conventional 3 prong receptacles:

47b8df20b3127cce98548f16c93f00000077130AbMmblu3bNGLA

And yes, there are hair dryers supplied in the cabin's bathroom.

The hairdryers in the bathroom are those like hotel wall mount unless you are in concierge class or higher. If you have a lot of hair or thick hard to dry hair, you might still want to bring your own. I know that with my hair, I like to sit while drying so I bring my own with its multiple heat and power levels - hate standing in the bathroom for an hour to dry my hair.

We bring a power squid instead of an extension cord or power strip. It can handle all those appliance like phone chargers, camera chargers, so that you don't have to keep switching plugs. We found this power squid after there were too many times we had an uncharged camera because I forgot to replug it after doing my hair.

psom-black_wh_bg.jpg.8769b4dbeff3bd6f0ca9da41b61e8b5b.jpg

Archived